A goat in the garden?
Goat moth (Cossus cossus) June, Berkshire.We had a pony in the house once. It belonged to a friend of one of our daughters, but we’ve never had anything larger than dogs, cats, foxes, and squirrels in the garden.
Imagine my surprise, then, when taking the laundry off the washing line, I discovered a goat! Actually, it was a goat moth (Cossus cossus) one of just three species of the Leopard and Goat moth family (Cossidae) found in the British Isles. It is nationally and increasingly scarce, its numbers decreasing since the 1960s, but East Berkshire remains a stronghold for this species. Favoured habitats include wetlands and old woodlands.
The goat moth is one of the heaviest moths to be found in the UK and its caterpillars may be as long as 10 cms.
The adults are nocturnal and rarely seen, only flying in June and July, with the aim of finding a mate. In daylight hours, they rest on tree trunks, their livery enabling them to merge with their background. The adults cannot feed, having no functional mouth parts, and exist only to breed, living for up to two weeks after emergence.
The goat moth acquired its name because of the smell the larvae emit, which is similar to that of a male goat. The caterpillars hatch from eggs laid in crevices or on the bark of deciduous trees. They then bore into the wood, mining deep burrows. They have the longest larval stage of any British moth, taking four or five years to reach full size. During that time, they eat into the heartwood of trees, and that is one of the reasons they traditionally have been despised by foresters and gardeners.
When they reach the stage of pupation, they chew an exit out of the bark, then make a silken cocoon.
Sap and larval excrement ooze from the holes made by the larvae, providing nutrients for many invertebrates, some rare, like the Crimson Underwings moth. The sap runs attract other nocturnal moths, butterflies like the Red Admiral, beetles and some rare flies.
Not much camouflage here!Do they serve any purpose, I wondered? The caterpillars spend three to five years developing and in that time they consume dead and decaying wood. The large caterpillars provide food for birds, bats and small mammals. Between August and October, many of the rose or magenta-coloured caterpillars leave the trees to find somewhere to create their cocoon. That is when they are likely to be seen, traipsing across the woodland floor or meandering along a path.
Others remain on the trees where they hatched.
Goat moths are also found across Europe, North Africa,
and Asia.


They are so well camouflaged, against the right surface. It was an interesting find for you.
ReplyDeleteIt was a strange place for it to rest, and gave me quite a start.
DeleteHmmm... An insect that bores into a tree and doesn't emerge for 4 or 5 years, feasting as it goes, and smells like a goat no less, is disturbing to me. Sounds a bit like our carpenterworm moths.... I'm NOT a fan.
ReplyDeleteI'm now going to look up carpenterworm moths!
DeleteThat is a awfully long lifespan for a moth, isn't it? Off to read.
ReplyDeleteRather like the larval stage of dragonflies and stag beetles, they spend a long time waiting for their moment of glory.
DeleteI thought you were about to say an actual goat had wandered in!
ReplyDeleteThe goat moth sounds fascinating, especially with that long larval stage and the odd “goaty” smell.
I love how nature keeps surprising us with creatures that seem ordinary at first glance but have such unusual stories behind them.
Small and easily overlooked, some creatures lead fascinating lives.
DeleteThey certainly do.
DeleteAnything that smells like a male goat is to be avoided!
ReplyDeleteThank you for finding out about this moth with no mouth - how strange
I'll probably never see another one!
DeleteI think I'd prefer a regular goat. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDelete. . . not amongst the laundry, though . . .
DeleteThe question, how useful is this creature to us, probably goes through many minds. I listened to an environmental GP zoom meeting last night called 'Living with the Villains' and she pointed our - how useful are human beings in the order of things - which made me smile. So though I would be unnerved by a four inch caterpillar crawling across my path I wouldn't harm it and always save spiders.
ReplyDeleteYes, what purpose do we puny humans serve? Good question!
DeleteWhat a complicated and intricate circle exists in nature...
ReplyDeleteIndeed. Take out one small but vital component and the whole structure suffers.
DeleteWow - never encountered one. Qn: do humans serve a purpose? All life occupies a place in the webs that is eco-systems.
ReplyDeleteIt's the age-old question - 'What are we here for?' There's no valid answer.
DeleteI do find many moths that have such unique coloring and camouflage. I have a book that if I'm patient and turn page after page, I can usually find which one I'm looking at.
ReplyDeleteIdentifying creatures is interesting, though sometimes frustrating if they're very similar in appearance.
DeleteYour absence was very brief. I would have enjoyed seeing this moth. It looks very interesting - but so do they all.
ReplyDeleteI usually see day-flying moths, so this was a small treat.
DeleteWhat a weird world! I guess they look pretty to each other, enough to mate anyway.
ReplyDeleteWe couldn't get a good photograph of its face, as it was anxious to hide.
ReplyDeleteWe get deer and sometimes the neighbor's cats.
ReplyDeleteI will take them over a moth any day!!
Moths are very fluttery, but deer and cats are elegant and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteDo you just know all this stuff?! The other day I had to have the life cycle of a butterfly explained to me because I'd forgotten it!
ReplyDeleteOf course I don't. I have to look it up, though some things stick, like frog reproduction.
DeleteI've also read 'The Hungry Caterpillar' to children so often that I know it off by heart.
Never seen or heard of the Goat Moth, thanks for the info
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
I come across one 'new-to-me' thing most years. Whether I remember them is another matter altogether.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy learning something when I visit your blog.
ReplyDeleteI learn from your blog, too. 😊
DeleteVery interesting! Never heard of them. I love how you teach us new things.
ReplyDeleteThank you. 😃
DeleteFascinating. I've never heard of them and certainly never seen one. What a bizarre life cycle. Four or five years to reach maturity is astonishing in the insect world, where the motto is usually "live fast and die young."
ReplyDeleteI've never seen one before and probably never will again. It has a similarly lengthy larval stage to dragonflies and stag beetles. Unusual, I agree.
ReplyDeleteNature never ceases to amaze and delight me with its infinite ways of being on this planet. And you've introduced me to yet another one with your biography of this little creature.
ReplyDeleteIt is extraordinary how interlinked our lives are, and yet we rarely think about the importance of each small component.
DeleteNever seen or heard of this one, but looking it up I see it also has a totally different name in Swedish. No goat reference involved but referred to as what would translate to English as "wood butterfly"...
ReplyDelete'Wood butterfly' sounds so delightful.
DeleteHonestly I would have preferred a real goat and not this gigantic moth ! The biggest animal I found in our house was a cow ! she had walked through our garden (without fence, not yet put up) and stood in the living room when I entered with a cup of coffee in my hand ! We looked at each other and then I dropped my cup and ran to the phone to call Rick ! While the cow didn't move. He was not at all happy about my call and told me "what for that you disturb me in the office" clap in your hands or call the farmer. The cow had finished her visit in our living room and stood in the garden. My neighbor gave me the tel nr of the farmer and he came immediately and took her home ! Her name was Mary and she followed the farmer like a dog. I had to recover from my shock, I still was a city girl !
ReplyDeleteThat's a wonderful story. I hope Mary didn't leave any cow pats!
DeleteYou had me going, thinking of a goat (mammal) in your garden. No goat moths in my area of the world and I hope they don't come. Just one example of creatures who have an important role in the ecology but annoy humans for some reason. Although, if their larvae were on my land, I wouldn't want that smell, either.
ReplyDeleteThey must be somewhere on our trees, but I've never noticed a 'goaty' smell, luckily.
DeleteInteresting tidbit.
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteYou got me....I was looking for a little nanny goat. this little creature has a very unique pattern on it.. Great to learn about it.
ReplyDelete'A nanny goat would be fun,' says she who has never looked after goats!
Delete... and there was I expecting to see a goat in your garden :)
ReplyDeleteI'd not heard of a goat moth before, so thank you for the information here.
All the best Jan
I just wonder how many more creatures I've never come across - every day's a day for learning . . .
DeleteI thought there was really going to be a goat. I've never seen a moth like this one.
ReplyDeleteA goat would be a great way to keep the grass down. Unfortunately, it would eat everything else, too.
DeleteWow, a beautiful creature. (If you ask me, which no one has). Fascinating.
ReplyDeleteI agree.😊
DeleteAfter spending most of its life hidden deep within a tree, the goat moth emerges for only a fleeting fortnight, carrying on an ancient cycle that quietly nourishes an entire woodland community.
ReplyDeleteWhat would our landscape look like without these little creatures?
DeleteWith no other use than to breed and then have the larvae eat the heartwood of trees I can't see this species being popular. I certainly wouldn't want any in my yard.
ReplyDeleteEach has its part to play.
DeleteA very pretty moth, I've never heard of it before but have seen some similar. I can't imagine having a pony in the house but I would have probably grabbed my camera.
ReplyDeleteWe didn't think to take a photograph at the time . . .
DeleteAn interesting creature. I have never heard of a goat moth. It does have some good camouflage.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking for one every time I go out now - no luck!
ReplyDelete