Float to Live
The summer edition of the RNLI publication ‘Lifeboat’ arrived a few days ago. The magazine contains a selection of articles on subjects related to the sea. There is usually a rescue story, highlighting the incredible work of the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution)
There is often a reflection on someone’s work with the service, or a glance back to history.
This edition celebrated twenty-five years of RNLI Lifeguards and also emphasised the ‘Float to Live’ water safety advice. The ‘Float to Live’ campaign was launched in 2017 and has saved more than fifty lives in the years since, including children caught in rip currents, and runners falling into canals.
The RNLI has discovered that about half of those who drown every year had no intention of entering the water. Another survey found that one in three people have no idea what to do if they get into difficulty in the water.Everyone can float, even if they are convinced they cannot. Old wives’ tales of people being too heavy to float, or coming from a particular ethnic background which makes it impossible, are responsible for misinformation. One of the first lessons taught by swimming instructors is about floating.
There are five easy steps. The first is to lie on your back and tilt your head back, until your ears are submerged. Secondly, you should relax and try to control your breathing. You should move your arms, hands, and legs to keep you afloat. You may feel your legs sinking and that is fine. There is no one ‘right’ way to float. The last tip is to practice floating in a safe environment, building confidence in your ability. Floating may save your life.
I wrote about the RNLI here, and here, with a fanciful story here.

I remember when daughter "no-one" was two and in the bath by herself and called "Mum! Mum!" so I rushed in all worried to find she had figured out how to float and was so pleased with herself.
ReplyDeleteClever girl! The bath is a good place to learn!
DeleteI used to be able to float, but I think with age bodily changes, I need to relearn.
ReplyDeleteYou can do it!
DeleteGood information.
ReplyDeleteI wish it could be broadcast more widely.
DeleteThey are a wonderful organisation saving lives. Whitby had the first cork lifesaver in 1854 for the lifeboat. It is always heartwarming when you travel around the coast to see the housing and ramps for the boats.
ReplyDeleteRNLI is wonderful and needs all the support it can get. I have the highest regard for it.
DeleteMore publicity is needed to educate people about this important life saving act.
ReplyDeleteI agree. Give air time to this rather than some of the sillier reality programmes.
DeleteFloating in the sunshine is serene. I assume children learn to float before learning to swim.
DeleteI think they do now. It's essential.
DeleteI am in awe of our volunteer RNLI.
ReplyDeleteLikewise. Out in all weathers and conditions, the volunteers put their lives at risk in the service of others.
DeleteThank you for this important reminder that a simple skill could save your life.
ReplyDeleteWater is attractive and tempting, and sometimes dangerous.
DeleteSome people find being able to float much easier than others - which is odd .
ReplyDeleteThe float to live campaign needs more publicity especially if we are going to get more really hot weather and people jumping into rivers and ponds all over the place
I agree. Advertise a life-saving skill rather than some of the ridiculous things that are shown.
DeleteThe RNLI’s ‘Float to Live’ message is wonderfully simple yet potentially lifesaving, and it’s remarkable how many lives have already been saved through education and awareness.
ReplyDelete. . . and there could be more, if only it were advertised more widely.
DeleteIt's a very powerful message
ReplyDeleteIt is. So simple, so important.
DeleteThat's very good advice. Everyone should read that. Just float
ReplyDeleteIt's essential if you live anywhere near water.
DeleteGathering your composure would be a first step.
ReplyDeleteThat could be difficult. Panicking doesn't help, but you stop it by practising relaxing until it becomes second nature. That's the theory, anyway!
DeleteI have never felt comfortable in the water and would probably panic before I figured out how to float
ReplyDeletePractise in a safe space - a bath, for example. Otherwise, steer clear of water! 😃
DeleteWhen I was in high school during the last century we had a Physical Education class and when swimming came up we had a floating lesson, as it were.
ReplyDeleteWe were taught how to float, like you said, and were times to see how long you could last. I did the whole forty minutes.
That's impressive!
DeleteI’m not a confident swimmer and dislike going on my back in the water but knowing how sound the RNLI advice is , if I were ever unfortunate enough to be in difficulty in water I would definitely be giving this a go - a life saver
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
I suppose it's not a natural position to take - after all, we like to see where we are and where we're going.
DeleteI mastered Survival Backstroke, a floating, swimming stroke using minimal energy which got me to safety.
ReplyDeleteThat's excellent.
DeleteWhen I was a kid I was taught the "dead man's float," which is similar, but you're face down. You're supposed to periodically lift your head to the side to breathe. The RNLI recommendation seems to make a lot more sense!
ReplyDeleteI think I'd be a lot happier with my face out of the water, too!
DeleteI'm a firm believer in all being taught to swim and thankfully all the family can. Some of the grandchildren live near the sea so it seemed doubly important for them and one of them is now a qualified lifeguard :)
ReplyDeleteI think with the extreme hot weather we have had, and are due to have, the message 'Float to Live' is even more important as I fear many will try to cool down in sea, river, lakes.
Great post.
All the best Jan
I agree with you, It's part of the National Curriculum that all children should learn to swim, but it's very basic. Well done to your lifeguard grandchild!
Deleteoops after lakes it should also say ...
ReplyDeleteand may get into difficulties in the water, float to live such good advice.
All the best Jan
😊
DeleteWater safety, in general, is so important. i enrolled my now grown son in swimming lessons when he was five years old and would have done it earlier if we had been engaging in water related activities. I can remember swim lessons at the day camp I went to, and learning to float first thing.
ReplyDeleteIt is important. All my children and grandchildren have learnt/are learning to swim to a good standard, particualrly important when they go sailing with my husband.
ReplyDeleteThankfully I learned to swim in primary school. Our local little school had a swimming pool.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that my daughter has already started to take Baby A to swimming lessons. It's an important skill to have!
The younger they start, the better. Water skills are so important.
DeleteMy parents made sure all 6 of us knew how to swim. It's really important.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is.
DeleteI'm heading to the beach next weekend. I think it may be too cold to go in the water, but floating is a good thing to remember
ReplyDeleteIt is.
DeleteI didn't learn to swim until I was 16.
ReplyDeleteThere are many much older adults who have never learnt to swim.
DeleteI learned to float after a semi scary incident as a six year old. I can swim etc, but floating is relaxing and I'm confident I could do it for a bit.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm one of those who never intend to get into the water, either. LOL
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteAt least you know what to do if you do find yourself in the water. 😃
DeleteWater...ugh. A love/hate relationship here. I'm petrified of it (I spent the first 3+ years of my life living on the banks of a river and we (my siblings and I) were continually admonished by an overworked mother to "STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER!" The message stuck...So, even after two years in high school of swimming lessons in Phy Ed, I could only swim as much as a rock. However, I LOVE the water in other ways...I can only fall asleep to the sound of waves...and a boat ride will lull me to sleep in a matter of minutes. But, yes...the lesson is valuable. I was surprised when I looked at the new lifevest for my grand (for when she's at Gigi's around the pool) and there are instructions on how to float properly with the device. I never knew that.there was a right way and a wrong way. (PS...I loved your "fanciful" story with the mice. Someone is very talented with crochet hooks/knitting needles (see...I don't even know the difference!))
ReplyDeleteI can quite see how the oft-repeated lesson lodged in your brain, but at least you know how to swim if you have to.
DeleteYour little granddaughter is a lucky one. Flotation devices do have a right and wrong way, which seems counterintuitive.
I don't float well, but can tread water for a very long time.
ReplyDeleteYou'll be fine, then.😊
DeleteI don’t swim. That’s not a good thing, but it’s a fact. Getting in the water holds no appeal for me.
ReplyDeleteJust be sure to keep clear of the water . . .
ReplyDeleteThis is such an important life lesson. I hope the message gets out loud and clear and prevents needless deaths.
ReplyDeleteIt's particularly important when so many people head to water when the weather is hot.
DeleteI like floating on my back, but only in a swimming pool. Your 'Fanciful Story' is delightful.
ReplyDeleteA swimming pool is a good, safe place to be and to practise.
Delete