Saturday, 20 June 2026

In tandem

 

In tandem

 A beautifully decorated tandem in The Hague, The Netherlands

Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons 

We see a lot of cyclists, many in form-fitting lycra, training seriously on the hills around us, but we don’t often come across tandems. I understand that they’re not particularly difficult to ride but require great trust between the two parties using them.

The person at the front of the machine is called the Captain or the Pilot and is usually the heavier of the pair. The one at the back is known as the Stoker and provides extra power.

I worked with someone whose husband was keen to have a tandem. She was not so enthusiastic, being of slight build and generally not inclined to participate in any sport. I don’t remember the outcome of the discussion.

Returning on Friday morning from a ‘verification trip’ (don’t ask!) to the Post Office, we passed two tandems, which caused us to wonder if there was an event. As we didn’t see any more, we assumed these two couples were out for a relaxing ride through the countryside on an increasingly warm day.

I have been singing, ‘Daisy, Daisy,’ ever since!

Daisy, Daisy,

Give me your answer, do!

I’m half crazy

All for the love of you!

It won’t be a stylish marriage,

I can’t afford a carriage.

But you’ll look sweet upon the seat

Of a bicycle built for two!

The correct title is ‘Daisy Bell’ and is said to have been inspired by Daisy Greville, Countess of Warwick, who was one of a number of Edward VII’s mistresses.

Harry Dacre (1857-1922) was the pen name adopted by a British songwriter called Frank Dean. He moved to America after four years in Australia and took with him an early version of ‘Daisy Bell.’ He also took his bicycle and had to pay import duty on it. The legend is that his friend William Jerome remarked that it was fortunate he had not brought with him a bicycle built for two, for then he would have had to pay double the duty. Dacre was inspired by that comment to alter the words of his song to reflect a tandem. Written in 1892, it was recorded by Dan W. Quinn in 1893.

It is the chorus which is familiar. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the verses.

There is a flower within my heart, Daisy, Daisy!

Planted one day by a glancing dart,

Planted by Daisy Bell!

Whether she loves me or loves me not,

Sometimes it's hard to tell;

Yet I am longing to share the lot

Of beautiful Daisy Bell!

Daisy, Daisy,

Give me your answer, do!

I'm half crazy,

All for the love of you!

It won't be a stylish marriage,

I can't afford a carriage,

But you'll look sweet upon the seat

Of a bicycle built for two!

We will go "tandem" as man and wife, Daisy, Daisy!

"Pedaling" away down the road of life,

I and my Daisy Bell!

When the road's dark we can both despise

Policeman and "lamps" as well;

There are "bright lights" in the dazzling eyes

Of beautiful Daisy Bell!
(Chorus)

I will stand by you in "wheel" or woe, Daisy, Daisy!

You'll be the bell(e) which I'll ring you know!

Sweet little Daisy Bell!

You'll take the "lead" in each "trip" we take,

Then if I don't do well;

I will permit you to use the brake,

My beautiful Daisy Bell! 

 Family tandem for six, 1925, Germany. The family is enjoying a picnic as they cycle!
Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons 





61 comments:

  1. That's one of the songs my grandmother would quietly sing, and I remember it well. At times she would adapt a song to where we lived, using local names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Janice! I remember the chorus well...but, like you, I don't recall hearing the actual verses. My older sister and her husband had a tandem bicycle that they road for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Robin. Did you ever ride your sister's tandem?

      Delete
    2. No I never did. It was never tempting. After having ridden motorcycles and snowmobiles with my husband, I wouldn't havee keen on doing it with him. ;-)

      Delete
    3. Snowmobiles and motorcycles provided enough excitement.

      Delete
  3. A group of us went to the Cape (Cape Cod) after we graduated high school. We rented bikes. The boy who took me to the prom rented a tandem. I was pedaling the back. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that would have been fun. Hope your dress didn't get caught in the chain!

      Delete
    2. We didn't go to prom on a tandem. 🤣I need to work on antecedents. It was when a group of us went to the Cape for a beach day and mischief. I wore shorts.

      Delete
    3. How funny! My fault - I misread it.

      Delete
  4. The e bikes came out after I retired from riding. That greatly disturbed me that I never got to ride an e bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an electric bike a few years ago. It was very heavy but I loved being able to cycle uphill at speed.

      Delete
  5. That tandem for six is unusual. I don't think I'd enjoy riding tandem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't unless I were at the front, I like to see where I'm going.

      Delete
  6. That is amazing. I don't think I've ever ridden on a tandem bike. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I haven't. It was one of my husband's wilder ideas. Knowing him, it would have had a trailer attached to transport small children and dogs.

      Delete
  7. That tandem for 6 fascinates me. Knowing my luck I'd be the one doing all the pedaling while the others just cruised along!! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's easy enough to let the one at the front do all the work. 😉

      Delete
  8. I can’t imagine riding a tandem for six. It has been years since I saw one for two. Love that old song, I remember singing it with my family as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tandem for six would be a recipe for disaster, I think.

      Delete
  9. Our cycle club had an elderly couple members who rode a tandem trike. They celebrated a combined 180th birthday - and were still riding! There are tandem clubs that take blind stokers riding - the pilot has to provide a commentary about the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a blind stoker takes trust to a new level altogether.

      Delete
  10. Daisy, Daisy... I used to sing that quite often, changing the words around to suit the circumstances.
    Id forgotten the rest of the song. Another great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever heard anything but the chorus. My, how I've missed out! 😁

      Delete
  11. To me the family tandem looks a little over the top! I do see tandems on the bike path occasionally and the riders do seem like they get along just fine. But it always looks like the second person can't see anything except if they turn swivel their head from left to right. Because the head and back in front of them covers The View.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being able to see anything in front of me would bother me greatly.

      Delete
  12. I'm going to be singing that song all day now. I can't recall ever seeing a tandem around here. I've never been on one either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll pop up all over the place now, you'll see. 😉

      Delete
  13. Those tandem riders certainly brought Daisy Bell back to life, and I'd forgotten how many bicycle puns were tucked away in the verses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some quite suggestive puns, too, or is that just me?

      Delete
  14. I have heard parts of that, but not the whole thing. Thanks for sharing it and the history. Our neighbor, when I was little, won a bicycle built for 2 at a church picnic. He was in his 70's/80's I'm not sure. When you are little, everyone looks old. Anyway, we would knock on his door and ask "can we ride your bicycle?" It was yellow and I had never seen anything like it. He always let us ride it. It was difficult to get the hang of it. Once we did, we asked often. I haven't thought of this for years....thanks for reminding me of this memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a strange prize. Perhaps someone was getting rid of it and decided to donate it. It was lovely that you had the opportunity to ride it, and more than once, too.

      Delete
  15. You rarely see tandem bikes anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also hadn’t heard the other verses and had no idea that there are special names for the two riders.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We do not see tandems around here except at the seashore beadwork areas. I've never seen a family one for six! I remember the song Daisy and know that I'm singing it I can't get it out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a pretty decoration on that tandem, I thought you were going to say it was for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it fitted the song so well. Maybe it was for a wedding - I wouldn't be surprised.

      Delete
  19. Years ago I did volunteer work with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, and used to ride on tandem bicycles with them. I was at the front!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How splendid, on all counts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just reading the words to the song has left my heart full. I haven't heard the words in years!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun post, Janice!
    When I was in my early 20s, my then boyfriend and I cycled 150 km to the Belgian coast on my brother's old tandem without any gears. Those were the days! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a long way with no gears - it's a long way with gears! I take it you were the stoker?

      Delete
  23. I've rarely seen a tandem bike in real life either (if ever?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps they're not popular in your part of the world.

      Delete
  24. Tandems are not uncommon in Norfolk. A couple (of people) used to cycle to the station for the train on a tandem when I was working a few years ago. It was left in the station bike rack for the day My father and brothers made a tandem when I was a child as a fairly minor project from two bikes. Mostly they were fiddling around with engines but for some reason they built a tandem. I remember them riding it around the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just remembered I believe Weaver used to cycle on a tandem with her husband in the 1950s and go quite long distances.

      Delete
    2. That's a lovely memory. It was probably made a relaxing change from tinkering with engines.

      Delete
  25. Oh goodness! Now I'm singing 'Daisy Daisy'!!!
    That decorated tandem looks lovely... and could be perfect for a wedding :)

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decorated bicycles, including tandems, always look so charming.

      Delete
  26. I wonder how many times people fall off of those before getting the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how many times they fall off before deciding to give up altogether.

      Delete
  27. I once rode on a tandem bike with Hubby. By the end we were both pretty testy with each other :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Never again! At least you survived . . .

    ReplyDelete
  29. Used to sing that song all the time lol.
    I remember renting them sometimes when we were at the holiday camp lol. Lots of arguing involved.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I did not know the story behind this well known chorus or that there were verses. I shall be humming and singing it all day now. The decorated tandem looks a real picture but I can't imagine riding one.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.