Into the long grass
A reporter on the radio discussing something the other morning mentioned ‘kicking it into the long grass.’ Although I understood the meaning, of delaying a difficult decision, I wondered about its origins.
I thought maybe it had something to do with cricket. Many British expressions use cricketing metaphors – ‘playing with a straight bat,’ ‘having a good innings,’ ‘it’s not cricket,’ ‘on a sticky wicket,’ ‘stumped,’ and so forth, but I found nothing about long grass. Perhaps it was a golfing phrase? Hitting a ball into the long grass could be problematic, I suppose. ‘Kicking’ seemed to be a little inappropriate. Cricket and golf balls are not generally kicked anywhere, unless in frustration. So, I looked it up.
It certainly comes from a sporting background and originated from the game of golf. Hitting a ball into the unmown grass or ‘rough’ makes it unplayable or lost. Kicking it there, through spite, exasperation, or some other trigger, is not considered good sportsmanship. (Should that be ‘sportspersonship??)
It is also related to rugby, where it is known as ‘kicking into touch.’ The ball is kicked out of the playing area, stopping the game and reducing tension.
One site I found suggested that it was originally a term used in politics since the mid-20th century, with the first recorded usage, presumably in Hansard, giving the date 1966, when the MP Geoffrey Rippon asked, "How long are the Royal Commissions expected to take to complete their work? In other words, how long is the ball to be kicked into the long grass?"
However, the Orkney Herald of 1948 used it in its Sports
Shorts, as follows:
Orkney
Herald (Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland) of Tuesday 27th July
1948:
MOWER
NEEDED.
At a recent Parish Cup game in Bignold Park, a linesman lost the ball in the
long grass (off the pitch), and the game was held up for some time till it was
found.
That's an interesting expression. I can't recall hearing it before. And now I know! Always fascinating to know of their origins.
ReplyDeleteπ
DeleteAs far as I remember, it meant to delay a difficult decision by pushing the issue out of sight. Whenever I ask the spouse if we can sell the house and move to a smaller place, he suddenly remembers he has an urgent meeting to go to.
ReplyDeleteMen! π
DeleteI like the "Mower Needed" headline!
ReplyDeleteSo do I!
DeleteWe just use all these sayings but knowing the origins gives them an extra layer of meaning... thank you
ReplyDeleteπ
DeleteDidn't know it meant delay - i had it in the same cayegory as swept under the carpet (out of sight)
ReplyDeleteIt's a malleable expression!
DeleteI've also heard, 'kicking it down the road'', delaying decision.
ReplyDeleteYes.
DeleteIt's interesting to hear where these expressions come from
ReplyDeleteI think so, too.
ReplyDeleteI had not previously encountered this expression but its meaning seemed self-evident. I like it and will contrive to use it! I will no doubt seem erudite and well-versed!
ReplyDelete. . . or you may have people looking at you with puzzled expressions!
DeleteThat is a weird one for sure. I often look up origins of phrases. As a matter of fact, I looked on up today in preparation for my next post!
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued!
ReplyDeleteMy grandfather used to say that quite a bit! He was a bit of a procrastinator.
ReplyDeleteProcrastination is just a way of giving yourself time to consider matters. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Delete"Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well." - Mark Twain
DeleteThis made me ask if there were a similar expression about kicking it into touch. Yes, they are related.
ReplyDelete“ Yes, "kick something into touch" (or "kick into the long grass") is a common idiom meaning to postpone a decision, shelve a project, or deliberately avoid an issue.The phrase originates from rugby. In the sport, kicking the ball "into touch" (out of the designated play area) pauses the game and relieves pressure, or safely gets the ball out of danger.”
'Kicking the can down the road' is another similar expression.
DeleteThat saying I'm not familiar with. I do understand the meaning.
ReplyDeleteπ
DeleteWe call it "Kicking the can down the road" but I like your take on that delay act, too.
ReplyDeleteWe're all saying the same thing in different ways.
ReplyDeleteThat's a new one for me. One would think with all the British shows I watch on TV I would have encountered it at some point. And maybe I did and just didn't notice...
ReplyDeleteI was surprised to hear it on the radio. I don't think it's used much.
DeleteYup, like Alana says Kick the can down the road.
ReplyDeleteWhen in doubt, procrastinate and/or blame the other party.
DeleteI love all these old sayings. I occasionally watch Countdown, where they give origins of expressions. A lot of them go back to Shakespeare or even further back and many have naval connections.
ReplyDeleteIt's fascinating to learn how and where our expressions arose. Shakespeare and the Bible are often good bets, too.
DeleteLike Andrew, I have heard kicking it down the road, meaning "deal with it later" but not the "into the long grass" version.
ReplyDeleteπ
DeleteYes I too would say "Kicking the can down the road"
ReplyDeleteInteresting post and I always enjoy reading the comments too.
All the best Jan
The comments are often more interesting than the post!
DeleteI've never heard that saying before.
ReplyDeleteπ
DeleteI love knowing the origins of sayings. Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Have a nice evening.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Nicole.
DeleteWe don't do rugby or cricket here in Nod (well, other than the "chirping" kind of crickets), so "kick the can" is our idiom of choice. It, too, is based on a game ("kick the can" believe it or not) but it is not a game much played by youngsters these days.
ReplyDeleteWell, I shall have to look that up! π
ReplyDeletethis is the first time I have heard this sentence, crow said above kick the can, and that I have heard all my life... your header photos is AMAZING and I want to walk that path
ReplyDeleteThank you. We are lucky to have some lovely walks round here and lots of trees.
DeleteI have heard the phrase"kicking in to the long grass" but we tend to use "the can down the road" version more here. The sentiments are pretty similar though. Thanks for the research on the origins of the phrase.
ReplyDeleteπ
ReplyDelete