Thursday, 25 June 2026

Secret Garden

 

Secret Garden


Bank vole (Myodes glareolus)

Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons

The bank vole is Britain's smallest vole, measuring 8-12 cm, with a tail 6 cm long. It lives from 6 to 18 months in grassland, farmland, woodland, moors, or gardens.


I am probably late to watching the series but have just seen the first of five episodes of ‘Secret Garden,’ introduced by David Attenborough. Superb camera work brought to life the lives of insects, tiny mammals, like bank voles, jewel-like kingfishers, a grass snake swimming, and otters, among many other wonders.

The setting was a river surrounding a mill house in Oxfordshire, whose garden is flooded regularly. As is common with wildlife documentaries, there were moments of tension - an otter stalked nine ducklings unable yet to fly, and their mother acted as a decoy to save her brood.

Red kites soared above. They are scavengers but will take an easy meal of small prey if it presents itself. Aggressive damselflies feasted on mayflies.

The skill and patience of the camera men (and they usually seem to be men!) was matched by their hardiness. I don’t know how many people would willingly sit in a hide in a river for five days to capture an elusive otter on film.

If you have already seen this programme, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. If you haven’t, please watch it if you can.

53 comments:

  1. What is the difference between a vole and a shrew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shrews have long pointy snouts and voles don't. Their ears are different too. It's like looking at a greyhound next to a labrador.

      Delete
    2. You are much more likely to see a vole than a shrew, too.

      Delete
    3. What is the difference between a Tracy and a Janice?

      Delete
  2. I do love wildlife programmes recorded in UK, so I loved secret garden, lots of wildlife I witnessed as a child growing up in Somerset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much around us, if we only care to look.

      Delete
  3. The cameramen take amazing footage. I will definitely look out for this programme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. They have such skill and patience, and excellent equipment, of course.

      Delete
  4. I bet this was fascinating to watch. I can't imagine sitting there manning a camera for 5 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Attenborough never fails to reveal the extraordinary lives hidden within ordinary landscapes, and the dedication of the camera crews is every bit as impressive as the wildlife they capture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Each programme is an example of superb teamwork.

      Delete
  6. I expect we will see it here in time. It sounds terrific, and anything with the Attenborough stamp on it will be good. We don't have volves or shrews here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe someday this program will make it over here on public TV like so many of his others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently saw a video that included a white science sort of lady sleeping out in the wild African Savannah all on her own. Except for the camera guys who were there to film her all on her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those 'solo' videos amuse me. I suppose people can now use drones, so can be 'all alone.'

      Delete
  9. One of Attenborough's programs is airing here; I believe it's called Earth. I've seen bits and it's quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been an advocate for careful monitoring and conserving of our planet for decades, along with King Charles.

      Delete
  10. I am dedicated to Sir David’s documentaries and will keep my eye open for this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like all his work, t's a documentary that is worth watching again and again, for all the detailed information.

      Delete
  11. From what you write I think I have seen this documentary I even wondered how the photograph was able to take such pictures ! the little vole looks so cute, I think I have never seen such an animal. I always love to see docu films about animals I don't know and the places where they live. Not so long ago I suddenly had the Lake of Garda on my screen, it was a film about Italy and the way life there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes you realise how fragile life is for these little creatures. That they survive at all is a miracle.

      Delete
  12. It doesn't look like the series is readily available in my area but I will keep a look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw that series when it first went out and enjoyed it. Like you, I always think of the camera-persons (aren't I being PC?!!) and how much time they must hang around for 30 seconds of footage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on your wokeness. 😉Camera operators (now who's being pc??) are a breed apart and don't really receive the appreciation they deserve in my opinion.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the elbow jog. I really love this kind of program.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're wonderful programmes and can be watched over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We loved that series. They got some astonishing footage of those critters -- far better than my garden cam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden cam is not too shabby at all!

      Delete
  17. David Attenborough is a hero of mine and I will definitely seek out this series which I had not heard of. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is a national treasure, possibly a global one. 😃

      Delete
  18. What a delightful review, my friend! The wildlife descriptions are vivid and engaging. David Attenborough’s documentaries never fail to inspire appreciation for nature and the remarkable creatures around us.

    Big hello from Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wildlife documentaries allow a fascinating insight to a world most of us would not see otherwise.

      Delete
  19. No, I haven't seen this series ... many thanks for highlighting it here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have both moles and voles here...and I'm not fond of either. (They wreak havoc in the gardens and lawn.) Your bank vole is much more endearing than ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these little creatures are known as 'Nature's engineers.'

      Delete
  21. The vole's coat is a gorgeous colour, I know many women who would pay many $$$ to get all those different tints and have them look "real"
    I can't watch David Attenborough shows, the slow pace and monotonous speech tone put me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate what you say - the voice can be hypnotic.

      Delete
  22. The series sounds exactly like my kind of thing, but I am not sure it'll be available here. I'll check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect it will be available at some point, although it is very 'English' and may not travel quite so well.

      Delete
  23. Sounds like a great show! Hope it comes to my Britbox. Sometimes the Spring/Autumn/Winter watch ones come and they are fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll have the chance to see it.

      Delete
  24. Haven't seen it. Sounds interesting and I enjoy learning about nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth watching if you have the opportunity.

      Delete
  25. Thank you, Janice. I will take a look at this series.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.