Monday, 27 July 2026

An afternoon in the garden

 

An afternoon in the garden

We visited Gareth and Nina and their family on Saturday. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen all of them together. Susannah drove us there, which was very nice of her.

The ‘children’ are all currently living at home, with plans to move out to live in London, where the three of them work, with friends. Everything in London is so expensive, and they know they will have to part with a lot of their hard-earned salaries each month.

It was so nice for Frankie (13) to see his cousins, (27, 25 and 23) He’s had a rough couple of years with many changes, and it was good for him to be greeted and treated as an individual in his own right and not be judged or criticised. He had a wonderful time in their company and they each had something different to offer him.

It was a warm, sunny afternoon and we sat under an enormous adjustable parasol, which has integral lights and sound. We didn’t need the lights, of course, but it was pleasant to listen to different people’s play lists.

Gareth loves preparing and cooking food, so we dined very well, with Nina’s delicious salads accompanying homemade burgers and sausages. The pavlova proved a step too far for most of us, sadly. It looked delicious!

I discovered that Elliot cannot burp. It was not a subject I introduced freely, but he asked me if I still wrote blogs, so I told him about the recent one. He suffers from abelchia and often has to lie flat on his back to relieve the discomfort. This leads to some interesting conversations when he’s out, as strangers offer sympathy - ‘Had a bit too much, mate?’ It cuts short some of his evenings as he is obliged to return home.

It was soon time for us to take our leave. Eve and Louis were planning to go out for the evening and were trying to persuade Elliot to join them. They asked us what we would be doing for the rest of the day. One event a day is quite sufficient for us . . .

Today, Susannah and Frankie, Arthur and the three cats have returned to London. We shall see them again soon. It was very pleasant to have them here for a week.

It feels quiet here now. The dogs and cats are flaked out. We shall go to bed early. The heat is building up again, so early morning walks will be the order of the day once more.

61 comments:

  1. Moving out to live in London might well be expensive but I am on the 20s' side. As long as they are well prepared to share space in their new address wisely and eat cheaply, they will enjoy their new independence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've had the independence of university, of course, and now look forward to that again, even though life at home is very comfortable, and London is easily accessible for them all.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like your family knows how to family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sums it up perfectly - just what I was thinking when reading Janice‘s post!

      Delete
    2. They're excellent hosts, all of them.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great time was had with family! Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds as if many memories were made. That is the stuff that knits a familybtogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always come away thinking, 'We should do this more often' and then the time drifts away again.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a perfect day apart from the pavlova being a bit too much. I love pavlova and would have "made room" somehow for at least a tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't normally eat lunch so it was a bit of a stretch for us anyway, though thoroughly enjoyable.

      Delete
  6. Yes to early walks. We left ours a bit late today and were quite uncomfortable in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a wonderful get together Janice - yes one outing a day is more than enough for me also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were surprised at how tired we felt when we got home. Oh, dear! 😕

      Delete
  8. Always leave room for thee pav. Glad you had such a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've reached the 'one event per day stage', especially if it is a lovely long day with family All the conversations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all the crossways conversations that are fascinating but taxing as you try to listen to each one.

      Delete
  10. Family get togethers are just brilliant as is the peace when home alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such happy summer pursuits - poor Elliott - but alwaus good to visit family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was most enjoyable. The two grandsons from that family are very tall and very good-looking (should I say that??) and it's lovely to spend time with them.

      Delete
  12. A normal happy event with family. With our three grandchildren in London, the hassle of finding somewhere to live and then finding unscrupulous landlords hiking the rents up is miserable for them. Matilda and Ben though go with their friends as part of a group to rent houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all planning to live with friends - it's the only way they'll be able to afford anything. Susannah suggested the three of them buy a house together - it's just about doable, depending on the area. I pointed out that it would work until they started bringing in live-in partners, when frictions might arise.

      Delete
  13. And a good time was had by all….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. We found that Frankie can do more than grunt . . . 😉

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a happy time with family.
    The hairdresser and dentist always have that conversation about what else I'm doing to day - Going Home is always my answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate those artificial conversations with hairdressers and hygienists. I always feel as though I'm socially lacking . . .

      Delete
    2. This is the number one reason why I dislike going to the hairdresser, so of course I never go.

      Delete
  15. Sounds like you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely for you to have a bit of a family reunion. I imagine there was a lot of visiting in Stories being exchanged. It certainly will seemed quiet with all of them gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so refreshing to be with young people - they're so positive.

      Delete
  17. It's always lovely to see the family together. Terrific that the children all get on well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very close. My son and daughter-in-law have done a wonderful job of parenting them.

      Delete
  18. That sounds like plenty of peopling for one day. Nice to be chauffeured, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a change from our usual routine, that's certain.

      Delete
  19. Sounds like a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. We just wish we could do it more often. It's rare now that everyone gets together. 27 when we all gather, plus umpteen dogs.

      Delete
  21. It's always good to see family.

    Poor Elliot! That must cause problems. Does he have to watch what he eat a lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He avoids carbonated drinks, including beer, so that's a constraint, but I think he manages quite well. He didn't like the sound of the treatment, though.

      Delete
  22. Sounds lovely.
    When I get asked what we’re planning for the rest of the day I smile to myself, it’s usually - nothing- , we slow down in the afternoons and evenings now we’re older 😆
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life was so energetic in our earlier years, especially in our 20s and thirties. Hard to believe now.

      Delete
  23. It seems very quiet after a houseful of visitors leave. On the other hand it is pleasant to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quiet when everyone leaves, but peaceful, with lovely memories.

      Delete
  24. How nice to be able to gather together as a family for a visit. I do so miss those gatherings with my own family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very pleasant and really doesn't happen very often.

      Delete
  25. What a lovely family afternoon. I really enjoyed reading about Frankie having such a positive time with his cousins, especially after a difficult couple of years. It’s wonderful when people make someone feel accepted for who they are. The garden gathering are perfect too, good food, music, conversation, and time together. I hope the early morning walks help you through the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Afternoons like that set us up for the week ahead, not that we have anything of great import to do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good food and conversation - what a great party you were invited to. Family outings are not common to me and my husband as we live a distance from many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it must be in a huge country like USA to visit family. Family gatherings must be rare and precious.

      Delete
  28. Sounds like a lovely afternoon indeed. Since I only relatively recently found your blog, I'm not familiar with the names of your family members but think I've somewhat figured it out. ;-) Ahhh....pavlova. I would have at least begged for a "to-go" piece to take home with me. And, yes, the silence after guests leave can be deafening. I know it was when I took my grand back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be confusing following someone else's family, I know.
      I'm sure it must feel quite strange to be without your undoubtedly chatty little granddaughter. I hope she's pleased with her baby sibling. It can be a difficult adjustment for a small child.

      Delete
  29. Fantastic! Sounds a lovely family time.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.