Common sense at last
The headlines this morning gave me hope that someone with common sense is leading the country. Andy Burnham, our new Prime Minister, has declared that he will put practical education on a par with academia. Perhaps now we will stop encouraging all and sundry to go to university whether or not they have the aptitude. Perhaps now we will begin to value the artisans, without whom, for example, houses would not be built and maintained.
I hope he remembers to pass his declaration on to the teachers. Rachel
ReplyDeleteI agree, Rachel. I hope he, or the Education Minister can convince the teachers. (Not holding my breath here.)Too many teachers think all children should aspire to academia and too many youngsters drop out after the first year of university because they realise it's not right for them. What a waste.
ReplyDeleteBlue collar workers are as important as white collars.
ReplyDeleteI agree. We all need each other in this world.
ReplyDeleteIt had to be said and done of course. Though going to Uni is also a rite of passage but the practical world also beckons. Whenever I look at a cathedral or church intricately carved and built, I wonder if there are any people around today who could work with such care.
ReplyDeleteEncouraging everyone to go to university was such a destructive idea, both for the students and the universities.
ReplyDelete