Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Gatekeeper

 

Gatekeeper

 Gatekeeper or Hedge Brown (Pyronia tithonus) on oregano

July 2025

                               July 2026

We have seen many Gatekeeper or Hedge Brown (Pyronia tithonus) butterflies in recent days. They are called gatekeepers because they are often found in meadow edges, hedgerows, and field gateways where wildflowers grow. They are very common and widespread in Southern England and are on the wing from July to August.


Cultivated yarrow comes in a range of colours. 

Wild yarrow (Achillea) is white or cream
Gatekeepers are often confused with the Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina) but are a brighter orange and have two white ‘pupils’ in the black eye spot on their wings. Meadow Browns also have a black eye spot but with only one white spot on it. They can be seen from June to September, and I was pleased to see one in the garden alongside the busy gatekeepers. They were attracted to the buddleja and the yarrow (Achillea)

 Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina)  July 2026

      Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina) on hydrangea 
July 2025

Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns are brush-footed butterflies, or Nymphalidae, belonging to the ‘brown’ or Satyrinae sub-family. They are sometimes called ‘four-footed’ butterflies, because they appear to have only four legs. The first pair of legs are short and hairy and look like brushes, and so they rest on only four legs.

The name Satyrinae originates from the Greek Satyros. Satyrs were creatures of the woods, and the ‘browns’ are often seen in shaded woodland glades. They do not share the other characteristics of satyrs, however.

20 comments:

  1. I'm pleased you are seeing many butterflies. Obviously high above the ground level, I don't see any, and I don't really see them when I'm out and about. It is a concern to me, but I don't know the statistics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a depletion in the numbers of butterflies generally, which is sad. We are gradually killing the natural world.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful to see so many butterflies. Hope your good fortune continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We planted to attract bees and butterflies, but even so, we don't see as many as we used to.

      Delete
  3. We have in our gardens mini ecosystems to keep our butterflies and other insects going, now all we want is the 'corridors' of wild flowering plants for these insects to remain viable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some local authorities are taking on the role of planting to attract insects. It's good to see roadside verges being planted with wildflowers.

      Delete
  4. I haven't spotted any butterflies this year but then I'm not outside much either. Your photos are wonderful.
    I've had the white yarrow growing in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some gardeners do their best to eradicate wild yarrow. It's such a shame, because it's a rich source of nectar for many insects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post today. We have satyrs also. My 3 Monarchs hatched and flew just yesterday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There now, aren't you pleased you decided to look after those caterpillars now? I know you were thinking about not doing it - or was that Precious? 😉 🐈‍⬛

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of wild yarrow; it's quite pretty and if it's good for our insect friends ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many people want pristine lawns and they're not good for anything much.

      Delete
  8. So many butterflies this year.
    I’ve been a bit nervous of planting yarrow, think it might be poisonous to dogs - although it’s hard to imagine them taking big mouthfuls of it!
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is toxic to dogs and horses, but unless they're in a field full of it with nothing else, I can't imagine it harming them. (I hope they're not famous last words!!)

      Delete
  9. You have so many butterflies that I have never heard of and probably we don't have them here in Australia. As Andrew says, we don't see many when out and about, he lives in a city area, and I am in the suburbs, but still fairly close to the city, so maybe all the butterflies are sticking to outer suburbs or rural areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to have plenty of shrubs and flowers, so I would have thought insects would be happy there.

      Delete
  10. I haven't seen many butterflies this year. Your photographs should be in a nature magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been out his morning in the garden and there are none to be seen!

      Delete
  11. My son-in-law is an entymologist who studies moths and buterflies during their calling periods, which is after midnight. We had a family reunion at a campground and were fascinated by what he attracted and the information he shared with us when everyone woke up int he morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are such beautiful pictures. I adore butterflies. We used to have a buddliea which always attracted such wonderful butterflies at this time of year, but it grew large enough to threaten the stability of the garden wall and we had to remove it. I still miss it, though.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.