How much is too much?
Water makes up around 60% of our body weight. We need it to keep our bodies working efficiently. When we are well-hydrated, our blood circulates as it should, our body temperature remains at the right level, and our food is digested properly. We become dehydrated when we lose more water than we take in. Then we become tired, our heads ache, and small tasks seem impossible.
Thus we are advised constantly to make sure we’re drinking enough to remain healthy.
Of course, requirements vary according to body weight and activity, but official guidelines suggest that women should drink about 2.7 litres a day, and men around 3.7 litres. That includes all sources of fluid, including plain water, tea, and fruit. Some people worry that tea is a diuretic, and causes more liquid to be lost than gained, but studies have shown that the loss is minimal, and tea is an acceptable way to maintain fluid intake.
When high temperatures are forecast the constant advice is to drink plenty of water and stay well-hydrated.
Is it possible to drink too much water?
Human kidneys can process about one litre of fluid an hour. Healthy adults should drink enough fluids to make their urine a pale straw-yellow.
It is dangerous to drink more than the kidneys can cope with. Too much liquid dilutes the blood’s sodium levels. Water then enters the body’s cells, including those in the brain, causing them to swell. This is called water intoxication (hyponatremia) and can be fatal.
Mild symptoms of hyponatremia include completely colourless urine, needing to urinate more frequently – that is, more than nine or ten times daily, or several times at night – stomach upsets like vomiting, or diarrhoea, and a persistent throbbing headache.
Serious symptoms indicating a medical emergency include disorientation, muscle weakness, cramps, seizures, or coma.
If people are expending a lot of energy in intense exercise, or are living in hot, dry climates and sweating constantly, 4 litres might be an appropriate amount of liquid.
Athletes in endurance events are the people most at risk of over-hydrating.
Rather than worrying about the volume of fluid you are consuming, the best method of ensuring good hydration is to be aware of your body, and drink when you feel thirsty.
KDND - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDND
ReplyDeleteIt is possible to drink too much water.
I know that when my urine starts getting concentrated/dark, I need more water.
That was a ludicrous competition. It's sad that people can get so caught up in the excitement or challenge of something that they lose all common sense.
DeleteThere was a stupid water drinking competition here held by a commercial radio station, and one of the contestants died by drinking too much water. Sad case. I hope her family sued.
ReplyDeleteIf she was of age and entered the competition willingly there was little her family could do. Very sad, though, and so unnecessary.
DeleteI think the amount needs to be a scale rather than a set 2.7 litres, since women come in all sizes as well as many being retired, and for me 2.7 would be too much, even in the heat of summer. I can tell when I need more by the colour of the output. If I were still working in the factories, the 2.7 would be more feasible.
ReplyDeleteI agree. Need depends on circumstances.
DeleteExactly this.
ReplyDelete๐
DeleteWe use a water bottle every day, it keeps the water inside chilled, on these hot days, I often top it up in the afternoon, it works for us, you can take the top apart to ensure it's clean, germs can be an issue with reusable bottles.
ReplyDeleteWater bottles are handy, I agree.
DeleteI am so glad that tea passed the test and we can drink it freely.
ReplyDeleteLOL!
DeleteVery interesting read — especially living in Israel where the heat makes you feel like you’re constantly topping up on water! I definitely find I drink far more here, but I usually just go by thirst and how I feel rather than counting litres.
ReplyDeleteThat is the sensible way to approach it.
ReplyDeleteBecause my hubby is bed bound most of the time, he doesn't get theirsty and he also forgets to drink. I try to remind him many times, but he takes a few sips and then forgets... it is really hard to keep him hydrated. Beau and I drink when we are hot and when we are thirsty... All of this is so true and we need to beware of to little or too much. thanks for the reminder
ReplyDeleteJust to confuse matters, people often mistake thirst for hunger and eat when they should be drinking. Life was simpler when we didn't worry ourselves with all this! ๐
DeleteI carry an insulated stainless steel water bottle and beaker. Drinking out of a bottle repeatedly is not healthy. I try to drink enough fluid regularly to avoid feeling thirsty, dehydration brings on my angina. Hot weather is followed by an increase in hospital admissions for heart attacks and strokes. A drink of water is the first remedy when a headache is starting.
ReplyDeleteYes, reach for water rather than an aspirin when a headache starts.
ReplyDeleteGood description and advice
ReplyDeleteThank you. ๐
DeleteI doubt that I have ever been in danger of over hydrating. I know I should drink more water than I already do
ReplyDeleteWe probably worry more than we need to about drinking enough water. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger, though.
DeleteI try to be aware of the need to stay well hydrated but for some reason I find it less easy than when I was younger ๐คทAlison in Devon x
ReplyDeleteEverything was easier when we were younger! ๐
DeleteI don't drink enough. I am like a camel. I always have been like this. I do try to get it in though.
ReplyDeleteMy father was always telling my mother she didn't eat or drink enough. She lived till she was 97 so she didn't do too badly!
DeleteI've read that seniors, as they age, tend not to feel the feelings of thirst, so it's good to get into the habit of drinking enough water when you are still young, so you can simply drink out of habit.
ReplyDeleteThat's true. Building good habits when younger leads to good lifelong habits.
DeleteSomewhere in connection with the recent heat wave I saw the advice (in these circumstances) to drink BEFORE you actually feel thirsty... I think especially for older people as they (we) tend to lose the sense of when we need it...
ReplyDeleteI think that's good advice, Monica.
DeleteI have a co-worker who brings a 64-ounce water bottle into work every day and drinks it twice during the day.
ReplyDeleteHe's got it about right . . .
DeleteI used to drink water pretty continuously through the day, especially back when I went to the gym regularly, but I have to remind myself to do it now.
ReplyDeleteI always have water on hand and also make sure my husband drinks sufficient amounts, though he doesn't need reminding . . .
DeleteI try to drink my fair share of water and I can usually tell the outputs pretty good, lol. This heat and humidity we've had for now about 10 days is really wacky.
ReplyDeleteHumidity is awful, very draining.
DeleteI probably don't drink as much as I should. It's a fine line between drinking what you need and not wanting to frequent the toilet every half-hour!
ReplyDeleteVery true!
ReplyDeleteGood advice
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteI tend to rely on urine color.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good marker.
DeleteGood read and advice.
ReplyDeleteI do drink when I feel thirsty . . . and always keep a bottle of water close-by.
All the best Jan
Thank you, Jan.
DeleteThanks for this helpful advice Dr Janice. Now can you have a look at my piles please.
ReplyDelete๐ง
DeleteInteresting about the importance of water for our health. I follow these instructions and drink water when I feel thirsty, while working in the garden I always have 2 liters of water in a bottle in the yard. Kind regards, Jasna
ReplyDeleteYou're very wise, Jasna.
ReplyDeleteYour last paragraph says it all!
ReplyDeleteEasily summarised as 'use your common sense.'
DeleteUnfortunately I don't recognize thirst and jeadache is the first sign I need to drink something! I do eat lots of fruit and raw veg - maybe that helps.
ReplyDeleteThey will certainly help. Headaches are not good.
DeleteI don't get thirsty, so I make a point of drinking frequently. This isn't too hard, since I have medications that require a glass of water. So that takes care of quite a bit. Then there's my mandatory pot of tea in the afternoon!
ReplyDeleteThere's always time for tea!
DeleteExcellent info. I'm one who doesn't drink enough.
ReplyDeleteDo you suffer for it?
DeleteApparently the British people have to drink more then the rest of Europe. Here it's recommended to drink 1,5 l per day and not only when you are thirsty, that's the danger for elderly people they are never thirsty ! We had a few cases here in the castle, people just forget to drink and then they are sick. I think I drink enough, at least I pay attention. My neighbors drink vine instead of Water ! and certainly as much as their body weight !
ReplyDeleteThis morning I saw 6 empty bottles of red vine standing in front of their door ! I don't think that they ever drink water ! it's crazy !
I don't think wine is a good liquid for hydration - quite the opposite, in fact. ๐
ReplyDeleteI remember well that radio station contest where a woman died from drinking a ridiculous amount of water trying to win a Wii. I believe her family recovered a lot of money in a civil suit. The last I heard/read, the new recommendation is to drink 0.5 to 1.0 ounce of water for every pound of body weight. I know I don't drink enough...well, water that is.
ReplyDeleteIt's easy to forget to drink. I have to remind myself to drink, otherwise I end up gasping for liquid - not good!
DeleteWith the heat I've found myself drinking more and then, of course, I'm weeing more ha ha
ReplyDeleteBetter than than heatstroke!
Delete