Wednesday, 1 July 2026

My Boy Lollipop

 

My boy Lollipop

This song popped into my head the other morning for no apparent reason. Perhaps it was the unusually high temperature.

It was a bouncy, cheerful song, sung by 16-year-old Millie Small who was credited with popularising Caribbean ska. Ska was the precursor to rocksteady which led on to reggae.

My boy Lollipop

You make my heart go giddyup

You are as sweet as candy

You’re my sugar dandy

 

Whoa oh, my boy Lollipop

Never ever leave me

Because it would grieve me

My heart told me so

The remaining verses continue in similar breathy, excitable fashion.

Millie Small had a stroke and died in London in May 2020. She was 72.

30 comments:

  1. I've heard that song before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminded me of the 50s song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it will become an earworm in mine. Weird isn't it when the young we have known in the past, have become old and may even have died off. Simple words, bouncy tune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have suggested that Bitches is a terrible name for female dogs, and calling them lollipops would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, or maybe not, I know the words to the song and I could sing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. doesn't sound familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of this song though I've never heard it. Fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved that song. And now I do again. I've got in my brain and it won't go away. Millie Small.....a blast from the past

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind the song resurfaced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very cheerful song, thanks for the reminder.
    BTW I love your hydrangea header.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I may go in search of the song and Millie, but I'm afraid it might get stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's another tune I shall be humming all day. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember the tune! (well, the first line or two, anyway...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad they clarified on the YouTube video that although that performance was from 1973, the song is from 1964. It sounded very retro for '73! I vaguely remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That song was an ear worm ! I remember well, a pity that she died so young.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is this the one that has the line "lollipop, lollipop lollipop"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no!!! I'm now singing this song!!!
    A cheerful song though :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd forgotten this one and didn't know that Millie Small was so young when she recorded it. I also didn't know about the "rocksteady" music style, though I have heard of Ska and Reggae.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The song was playing in my head as soon as I saw the. title of your post in my reading list...The words, the tune, and her voice all immediate recall. The song must have been popular for many, many, years as I was just a toddler when it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think I know the song; the words do not sound familiar and I have not yet looked it up on youtube. But Ska was a constant in my teenage years, and every now and then I remember what great music it actually was/is, and I go on a "Ska spree" on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  21. we heard that song on radio about 2 days ago and remarked on his name - lyrics like that are probably still written these days

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you , everyone.
    It was such a cheerful song and Millie Small's enthusiasm was infectious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know that one, but another, lollipop, lollipop, oo lolly lollipop is now ear worming. Thank you I think..

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.