Nostalgia
L.P. Hartley opened his 1953 novel, ‘The Go-Between’ with the words, ‘The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.’ Set in the late Edwardian period, the book explored the differences in moral, class, and sexual attitudes and those of the mid-20th century.
The past may indeed be a different country, for the memories we hold are not always accurate. They are coloured by what has happened in the time since, and sometimes they are not personal memories but acquired from others through their repetition of recollections.
Recently, I have found several blog writers exploring and remembering the past. Whether it was books, or food, or friends, or games, each memory was recounted with pleasure, with nostalgia.
Nostalgia is usually defined as a longing for the past. It is compiled from two Greek words, nóstos meaning homecoming, and álgos meaning grief. It was first used in 1688 to describe the intense homesickness afflicting Swiss mercenaries fighting far from home. So seriously was it taken that it was regarded as an illness requiring treatment.
It has since developed into a description of the emotion many experience as a wistful affection for the past. The reminiscences may be melancholic, but often they are pleasant. Nostalgia is mistakenly believed to be the province solely of older generations, but I have heard young children saying, ‘Do you remember?’ and recounting events inspired by a song, a film, a photograph.
The past was a different country, a different time, when the future beckoned and life was an unknown mystery to be unravelled. It was not always a golden time, and for some it may have been painful, but in retrospect it seemed simpler and more enjoyable. Pleasurable experiences overcome and overwhelm those which are sadder, I find.
My infant school days are hazy. Mainly I remember learning to read, looking at the final pages of a book and wondering if I would ever be able to read them, and the older boys in the playground peeing over the wall, vying with each other to reach the greatest height.
At Junior school, I remember playing two balls against the wall, skipping games, collecting things, ‘pax,’ chase, a tin of cocoa powder and sugar to dip a finger into. I remember a teacher who had a clear favourite (and it wasn’t me!) and another gentle teacher who had time for everyone. I remember the outside lavatories, which for some unknown reason were called ‘the offices’ and they seem wrapped in a hazy mist of fond memory though in reality they were freezing cold in the winter and smelly in the summer. Older girls (only girls in this school) were allowed to make tea for the teachers. Health and Safety would be appalled at the thought now.
Books were precious gifts to be devoured, ears deaf to the outside world. On reaching the end, I would start again at the beginning – Black Beauty, What Katy Did, Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, My Friend Flicka, The Wind in the Willows, The Water Babies, Winnie-the-Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, The Little Prince, and so many more – they opened my eyes and my heart to a wider world. Today’s children’s classics would be rather different, I think and would include authors like Michael Morpurgo, Lynne Reid Banks, Jacqueline Wilson, Joan Aiken, Roald Dahl, Jill Murphy, among others.
Food was important, of course. Roast on Sunday, mince on Monday, cottage pie on Tuesday, semolina pudding, sometimes with jam, crumpets on a toasting fork in front of the fire, chicken once a year at Christmas (and later, at Easter), to be pulled and plucked before cooking.
Cold sheets in winter, shivering with my feet tucked up in my nightdress, to wake to Jack Frost’s artistry on the inside of the window. Hot, sticky summer nights, shoulders sore from a day at the beach. Long days walking in the countryside on my own, picking wild strawberries or damsons, or swimming at the open-air baths, eating bread and butter sandwiches with crisps when I was hungry.
Grammar school brought different experiences and the dawning realisation that not everyone was pleasant and kindly disposed. Dealing with spiteful pubescent girls, finding my way through friendships, learning who to trust. Adolescence is a lonely time for most young people, I think.
I would not go back, even if that were possible. I look at the younger people I know and wish them strength of will, persistence, self-belief, and happiness.
L.P. Hartley's friend Lord David Cecil used the phrase, ‘The past is a foreign country’ in 1949 in his introductory lecture as Goldsmith's Professor of English Literature at Oxford. That may have been the inspiration for the title of his book.
I loved certain books in the late 1950s and early 1960s, especially Black Beauty, What Katy Did, Anne of Green Gables, Heidi and Little Women. But I had no idea what precious gifts they were as part of nostalgia now! I was writing up one of these books for the blog this year, and was in happy tears as I wrote.
ReplyDeleteThose books were a blessing.
DeleteI don’t think I could tease out as many memories. Some people have few memories, I met a man who went to the same high school as I but perhaps 20 years later. I could remember more of my teachers than he could his.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how some people or events make a huge impression on some and apparently little on others.
DeleteThat is an impressive opening line, isn't it? You, made me nostalgic for my childhood books, a favourite pastime and indeed a lifeline.
ReplyDeleteWouldn't we all like to create such memorable words?
DeleteQuite often when my brother and I visit we disagree on things. Our memories are different. Then when the third brother joins the group it really gets interesting.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to be a fly on the wall on those occasions. 😊
DeleteI wouldn't go back either even if it were possible, but do go back in my memories. I also remember infant school and being disappointed that we all had to learn reading from the exact same book I already knew how to read after listening to my older sister struggle with it for so long.
ReplyDeleteI remember long days at the beach, well into the evening, semolina pudding which I still make sometimes but not with jam and I remember climbing high into trees to hide up there with whatever book I was currently reading so as not to be disturbed.
Once the memories start to be refreshed, they come thick and fast, I find.
DeleteI do think we tend to remember the past somewhat selectively, while the negatives of the present moment feel disproportionately salient. Recoiling from the dreariness of today's omnipresent ads, the "AI" plague, skyrocketing economic inequality, and the yelling and screaming hysteria of our polarized politics, we feel nostalgic for the sixties and seventies and eighties. We forget the Vietnam war, the draft, the more open and empowered racism, the restrictions on women's rights, the far more limited ability to respond to a crisis like AIDS, etc. Perhaps we feel things used to be better because back then, being young, we weren't as aware of the world's problems.
ReplyDeleteThere is a lot of truth in your final sentence, and perhaps we were sheltered from distressing events by adults. I do remember being worried that my father, on the Naval Reserve, might be called back into service during one of the geopolitical crises that seemed to arise then almost as regularly as they do now.
DeleteI used to chat to mum about the differences in her childhood and mine, she always told me we had it better, I do feel we were a golden generation, life before the internet gave us a freedom children today just don't have.
ReplyDeleteI think they have a different freedom, access to a wider world of information. I don't think many have the freedom physically to explore, as there are so many dangers parents perceive. It is true that criminals bent on evil intent have the means to travel far and wide, which was not the case decades ago.
DeleteI sometimes wonder whether my earliest memories are in fact mine or a repetition of events that were told to me. I will never know, of course, nor does it really matter. It was indeed different then.
ReplyDeleteAccurate memories are only important if they impinge on the lives of others.
DeleteThanks for sharing these lovely memories. A very enjoyable read.
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure. 😊
DeleteThank you for explaining the term nostalgis, and even more for the glimpse into your past which makes for a good (nostalgic) read.
ReplyDeleteSo much of our language comes from ancient roots.
DeleteI think it's a case of I'd go back if I could take with me the knowledge I have now, I'd do things very differently. I do look back on my childhood with memories of carefree days, climbing trees and making dens, but in reality there was a lot of angst. We tend to look back through rose tinted glasses.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, Jo.
DeleteThis is quite interesting and made me think of my daughter. She has memories of things that happened in her childhood that I have no idea where they came from. I have often thought they were something she made up...lol
ReplyDeleteThe funniest one of my eldest daughter's is of her seeing her father in a boxing match. I know she didn't, because I never have, but she's quite convinced.
DeleteJust this last week I was sharing with a friend that woefully I have few memories of my childhood days, but wish I could recall them. Thanks for sharing your own.
ReplyDeleteDifferent things trigger memories - scents, tastes, sights.
DeleteBeautifully written Janice and brought back many memories for me x
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
Thank you, Alison. 😄
DeleteMy memories are similar to yours. I remember a jigsaw puzzle at Christmas was the only one for the year and so I would do it over and over again, without complaining. If it is possible, I remember knowing my jigsaws off by heart!
ReplyDeleteBecause we had relatively little, though in no way felt deprived, we valued what we were given. Knowing a jigsaw off by heart made me smile.
DeleteWe cannot trust our memories, pre-video days.-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteYou're probably right.
DeleteNowadays so much is video'd and recorded on phones that we'll never forget the past ... at least not the filmed past!
ReplyDeleteWe're so busy recording that we're forgetting to participate and enjoy - at least that's what it seems like.
DeleteI like that quote, ‘The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.’ I don't think I ever read the novel but I think I vaguely recall having seen a film based on it. For me, I think looking back is indeed usually more about recalling the "differences", rather than feeling nostalgic (as in wishing myself back there). Every period of life had its own ups and downs.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, of course, Monica, and even if we could go back, we'd probably have the same experiences, for good or ill.
DeleteI would not go back either, unless I could do it knowing what I know now!
ReplyDeleteI sometimes think that and then realise what an insufferable creature I'd be!
ReplyDeleteI think I would go back to the garden of my childhood but of course a modern world has overtaken it and it no longer exists. Saturday sweets, a visit to the library for my four books, which in sunny summer I would read in the sand pit, sweets to hand. Summers were much longer as well!
ReplyDeleteSummers were definitely longer and always sunny. Well, we've got the sun now . . .
ReplyDeleteSchool days were fun and miserable, too. Once around that experience is enough.
ReplyDeleteYou've put it in a nutshell, C.J.
ReplyDeleteI liked not having responsibility back when I was a kid for the most part but I wouldn't want to do any of it again.
ReplyDeleteIt's better in retrospect, I suggest
Delete"Adolescence is a lonely time for most young people, I think..." I agree but to this I would also add the terms "painful" and "challenging" as youngsters struggle to find their feet in the world. It is not the sunny hay ride that some people assume that's for sure.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it ever has been, for any generation,and significantly worse in many.
DeleteThank you for this post as it gave me a chance to think back to some good memories. There were some bad times when I was growing up, but I can remember some beautiful, golden moments and those are what I'd like to cling to. It's funny how memory plays tricks.
ReplyDeleteThere are many things that I wish we could get back to, but I wouldn't want to go back to the days of cruelty to unmarried mothers and the old biddies counting the days between the wedding and the birth. Nor would I want to go back to when homosexuality was illegal. But there is still a call from the past.
I think that the Welsh word hiraeth is the way I tend to think, and I define it as nostalgia wearing rose coloured glasses.
Nostalgia is nothing without the rose-coloured spectacles. 😉
DeleteI did enjoy your post and look back.
ReplyDeleteMemories of childhood for me are very happy ones, even my school days were okay ... a few blips here and there but good days and good times. I'm still in contact with a few old school friends.
Life now seems so different, and I often wonder what memories and reminisces the grandchildren will have, good ones I hope. I can recall the time when we told them we didn't have central heating when growing up and the icicles at the windows! They were horrified! LOL.
Taking the opportunity to wish you a happy new month of August.
All the best Jan
I hope happy memories outweigh sad ones for my children and their children, too. What will August bring, Jan? Pleasant experiences, I hope, for us all.
DeleteNice post.
ReplyDeleteThings have changed so much since I was a child. I remember Mum saying that and laughing. Now I'm saying the same. We knew life before cell phones and computers, before Google and information at the touch of a button.
I didn't like school, I felt awkward and shy. I was glad when it was over. A couple of people reached out to me lately and told me of the 40th High School Reunion going on. I was glad to see it was the week before I will be home lol so I have a good excuse not to go. I really don't want to see most of those people again and the ones I do I am still in touch periodically with.
I have never been to a reunion of school or college. I married a soldier and we moved around, so had to make new connections all the time.
DeleteYour post brought a flood of different emotions - from different places and of varying temperaments. I do remember feeling an immediate connection with the word "nostalgia" when I first heard it and learned its meaning when I was just a child. It seemed to explain so many things to me...I think I was born nostalgic but not for my own past/childhood....it seems like I lived other lives and I feel pulled back to other times. I grew up poor...and was turned awkwardly inward from the git go so I don't long to go back "there," yet the fact that those days and times are gone make me miss them. Quite timely that you should post this now as tonight/tomorrow is my 50th class reunion. Even though I was the high school annual editor (no surprise there, I suppose), I probably should have made an appearance but I've chosen to not break my hermitage. ;-)
ReplyDeleteBearing in mind your family history it is not surprising that you feel pulled back to times long past and the indignation and injustice of them.
DeleteI always felt out of step with most people, so am definitely not a reunion person.
The past is a foreign country and one I really don't want to revisit. Schooldays were not the best years of my life.
ReplyDeleteYour memories brought back a lot of mine.
Hadn't realised the word nostalgia came from Greek. But so many words do.
When people say, 'Its all Greek to me' they don't realise how true those words are, not in the sense that they don't understand but that without them the English language would not have evolved in the way it has.
DeleteI am definitely one for nostalgic conversations! I loved my primary school years, church memories and music school etc. I do remember being sad in my teenage years at times but largely happy though money was a big ever present worry and hunger.
ReplyDeleteI learnt the word Atavism at school which I thought meant harking back to the golden times.
I hated my teenage years and remember clearly what it felt like to be fourteen. It was horrible and so was I.
ReplyDeleteAtavism is more wild and primal.
What a lovely read that was, Janice! I'm very prone to nostalgia and indeed often feel that the past is a foreign country. xxx
ReplyDeleteI often query whether I was actually there - daft, I know.
DeleteI was nodding my head to so many of the memories you had, many good ones and a few bad ones along the way.
ReplyDeleteMost memories are a mixed bag, I suppose, but I hope the happy ones outweigh the sad.
ReplyDelete