Sleep tight
Night night, sleep tight,
Don’t let the bed bugs bite.
What does ‘sleep tight’ mean?
There is a plausible, but possibly mistaken explanation for this. Rope beds were invented in the 16th century. Before the 19th century mattresses were stuffed with straw or feathers or horsehair and suspended on and supported by a web of ropes. (The very poorest people slept on a filled sack mattress on the floor!)
With time, the ropes would sag and need to be tightened with a wrench. This led to people thinking that ‘sleep tight’ referred to the tightening of ropes to provide a sounder night’s sleep.
However, rope beds gradually fell out of use after sprung mattresses were produced in the mid-19th century. The phrase ‘sleep tight’ was not seen in print until 1866 and became common usage in the early 20th century. By that time, rope beds were a thing of the past.
To ‘’sleep tight’ or ‘sit tight’ means to remain still or secure. Bidding someone to sleep tight was a way of wishing them a good, restful night’s slumber.
‘Don’t let the bed bugs bite’ was added to the phrase later, although it is certain that mattresses were repositories of many types of tiny pests. Mattresses had to be shaken and beaten regularly to dislodge bugs. Usually, if the stuffing was of straw or hay or pea husks, it would be replaced entirely at harvest time.
There is an alternative suggestion which is that ‘bed bug’ was the name for the tightening wrench for a rope bed, and it would sometimes jump back and hit or’ bite’ the hand that was holding it.
Bed bugs are not entirely the affliction of poverty-stricken people. Like cockroaches, they are ancient insects and have adjusted to living with humans. It is thought that they originally lived in caves in the Middle East, where they fed on bats. Eventually they adapted their feeding to humans who inhabited the caves. They are attracted to body heat and the carbon dioxide humans exhale.
They cannot fly or jump but can crawl quickly onto clothing or other personal items. Thus, when travelling to places where bed bugs might be encountered, it is advisable to keep luggage off the floor and away from mattresses and walls. Bed bugs creep into small crevices and seams.
Furthermore, unpack immediately on returning home and wash and dry everything at as high a temperature as possible. An infestation of bed bugs is difficult to eradicate.
These expressions are very common here. It's nice to know their back ground.
ReplyDeleteI always said it to my young children.
DeleteI thought sleeping tight was having the bedding pulled tight into your body so there wasn't any cool or cold air under the bedding. Thankfully I've never encountered bedbugs.
ReplyDeleteThat makes sense, too. I remember the comfort of being 'tucked in' by my mother. I've never had bed bugs, either.
DeleteI look forward to your etymological forays.
ReplyDeleteThank you . . . I think . . . 🪳🪳
DeleteI hit the sack for at least 8 hours a day. I am not used to sleeping with a pillow.
ReplyDeleteEight hours is good!
DeleteReading this in the middle of the night because I'm not sleeping tight!! Thankfully not due to bed bugs, just old lady hormones!
ReplyDeleteI hope you managed to get back to sleep. If not, there's always the chance for a nap later on.
Deleteoh god. I hate bed bugs. I suffered terribly many years ago and had to get the fumigator asap. I could hardly sleep at night. :(
ReplyDeleteHow horrible. Bed bugs are very common all over the world.
DeleteThe mention of bed bugs just makes me want to start scratching.
ReplyDeleteMy apologies.
DeleteI always worry about bed bugs when we travel. They say you can bring them home. I sure didn't know that's how they got the saying to sleep tight. Thank you so much for this interesting fact.
ReplyDeleteBed bugs can travel very happily in luggage.
DeleteI remember reading 'the L shaped room' by Lynne Reid Banks, I think, many, many decades ago... the girl in the book was taught by one of the other lodgers how to catch the bed bugs by whipping off the covers and trapping them on a bar of soap every night before going to bed.... horrified meat the time and I never forgot! Funny what sticks in your kind...
ReplyDeleteI remember that, now you've mentioned it. Always make sure you have a bar of soap ready to hand . . .
DeleteI'm itching now, all over, I'm glad I read this in the morning.
ReplyDeleteOoh, sorry.
DeleteWe have never had bed bugs and I hope we never do. Short of burning the house down they seem to be nigh on impossible to dislodge. A cheap motel is a great place to make their acquaintance!
ReplyDeleteWe've never had them either, though our children travelled cheaply to outlandish places . . .
DeleteYou madam are a veritable mine of information! I must say that I had previously never pondered on the origin of the term "sleep tight". The fact that "tight" rhymes with "night" may be significant, as in "Good night, sleep tight". I love this kind of investigation that taps into the beautiful richness of our English language.
ReplyDeleteSadly, I shall probably remember this trivia. More important information slips away too readily.
DeleteI remember 'Up the wooden stairs' to bed, though it could be 'up the wooden hill' in parts of the country. Early 20th century.
ReplyDeleteI've used that expression in recent years - 'up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire.' It's cosy.
DeleteI remember saying sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite but I never had a clue where the saying came from
ReplyDeleteIt only occurred to me recently to ponder it.
DeleteLike David, I have never encountered bed bugs and hope I never will. And like Neil, I love your posts where I always learn something new.
ReplyDeleteWe've been clear of bed bugs, too, even though some of the family have travelled cheaply to wilder parts of the world. (Not me - I'm squeamish and I like comfort!)
ReplyDeleteBedbugs , yuk.
ReplyDeleteNite nite sleep tight, is a very familiar way of saying Goodnight to children isn’t it?
Alison in Devon x
It is. I always think it's a comforting way to say good night.
DeleteLearning that those pests originally migrated from bats in Middle Eastern caves is an incredible piece of history, even if it makes you want to immediately double-check your own mattress seams. The advice about keeping luggage off the floor while traveling is such a practical tip that people easily overlook when checking into a hotel room. It really changes how you think about a common phrase when you realize the history behind it is mostly just about wanting a secure, still night of rest. Hopefully you have your luggage safely tucked away on luggage racks whenever you go on trips to avoid any of those ancient hitchhikers.
ReplyDeleteWe've never had an infestation, despite our children returning from travelling cheaply to far-off climes.
ReplyDeleteI once went on a conducted tour of Shakespeare's Stratford-upon-Avon and was told "sleep tight" definitely came from tying the ropes underneath the sack-cloth mattresses tighter to get a more comfortable night's sleep.
ReplyDeleteIt's an ongoing debate and I don't suppose there will ever be agreement about it. I like the explanation.
DeleteI suppose don't let the bed bugs bite was added, especially for children, to keep them still, lying in their beds, worrying that the bugs were going to eat them. As if the prayers weren't bad enough with if I should die before I wake... 🤣
ReplyDeleteBedtimes were a hazardous time, I think!
DeleteBed bugs are vile creatures.
ReplyDeleteSo I understand! 😧🪳🪳🪳
DeleteThat "bed-bug-as-wrench" theory sounds far-fetched. I always thought "sleep tight" just meant with your sheets well tucked in.
ReplyDeleteBeing tucked in at night was one of childhood's pleasures.
DeleteBed bugs were almost completely eradicated here and now they've made a come back which is awful.
ReplyDeleteEase of worldwide travel has a lot to answer for.
DeleteBed bugs seem to be talked about more often these days!
ReplyDeleteI prefer to say sleep tight, sweet dreams.
All the best Jan
They are brought in by people travelling from countries where they are common.
DeleteYou find the most interesting tidbits of information! I guess "tight as a tick" doesn't refer to mattresses, does it?
ReplyDeleteWell, now, there's a thought . . .
DeleteEight years ago I was part of a group staying at a hotel when someone found bedbugs. Pandemonium ensured! I came home and put my belongings in the large deep freezer for days to kill anything that might b in them.
ReplyDeleteThat's such a nasty experience.
DeleteWe never said sleep tight to our children, we said sweet dreams, see you in the morning. I did hear about the bedropes as a reason for the sleep tight, but wonder if it also meant to be tucked up tight and cosy.
ReplyDeleteSweet dreams is much nicer, really.
ReplyDeleteFortunately I never had such charming guests in my bed, I don't think I even ever saw one. The only once who were allowed into my bed was my better half and the cats ! That was already crowded. Maybe cats perhaps like to eat what doesn't belong in a bed. They also eat spiders and other bugs !
ReplyDeleteI've never had them, either - like yours, our bed was too crowded, with people, dogs and cats!
ReplyDeleteWell, another interesting post! I always thought it meant, "sleep tight" was getting your blanket "tucked in" around you by your mama. The bed bug bite - just what it says, I assumed a bug. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThank you. 😊
ReplyDeleteAnother reason there's no place like home. Bed bugs....things of which nightmares are made.
ReplyDeleteJust thinking about them makes one's skin creep!
ReplyDeleteI always said that to my children before bed.
ReplyDeleteI don't like the thought of bed bugs. I try not to think too much about them when I'm staying in places else I'd never sleep!
Very sensible.
DeleteWe have used the phrase 'sleep tight' but stopped before the unpleasant reference to 'bed bugs biting.'
ReplyDeleteI just liked the rhyme and didn't think about the words until recently.
Delete