Sometimes
In the evening, after the heat of the day has abated, Herschel trots into the garden and sits on an old wooden chair and gazes at the world. He seems half-asleep, but woe betide any little creature that catches his eye.
As soon as we call ‘Cats, cats, cats!’ he strolls in leisurely fashion along the garden path and then sits on the step outside the open patio door, waiting to be enticed in with ‘Treats?’
Meanwhile, Jellicoe sits on the bridge over the pond and is usually very quick to abandon his post and return indoors. Last evening, however, although he was discussing it with us, he refused to budge until he was offered some freshly cooked chicken and then he was in like a bolt from a gun.
‘Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits’ has been attributed to Winnie-the-Pooh and it suits his personality, but it was not coined by A.A. Milne.
William Gunning King (1859-1940), the British cartoonist, had a similar caption on a cartoon in Punch on 24th October 1906. The cartoon showed an old countryman and a vicar's wife. She asked him how he passed the time now he couldn't get about and the man replied with, 'Well, mum, sometimes I sits and thinks and then again I just sits.'
‘Punch, or The London Charivari’ was a British magazine of humour and political satire, which was published weekly almost continuously from 1841 to 2002. The Mr Punch puppet from Punch and Judy, was chosen as the magazine’s mascot.
William Gunning King was a painter and illustrator and was described as ‘a vigorous illustrator of rural life.’ He was commissioned to produce a painting to be used as an advertisement for ‘Bibby’s Animal Feed Company’ in Liverpool (now Bibby Agriculture).
Cattle feed advertisement for J. Bibby and SonsThe company management claimed, ‘Nobody had a better eye for a cow than Gunning King,’ but Gunning King also painted other farm animals and rural farming scenes.
In a period of thirty years, to earn a living, he painted about 300 pictures for Bibby’s, who were one of Gunning King’s many patrons.
In 1905
he began submitting work to Punch. The following cartoon from 11th November
1914, has the captions:
Cyclist to shopkeeper: “Many recruits gone from
this village?”
Shopkeeper to cyclist: “No, Sir.”
Cyclist to shopkeeper: “Oh, why’s that?”
Shopkeeper to cyclist: “Well, Sir, after going carefully into the matter, we, in this neighbourhood, decided to remain absolutely neutral.”
(That reminded me of the ‘nuclear-free zone’ in London in the 1980s.)
The First
World War (The Great War) started on 28th July 1914 and continued
until 11th November 1918.




Your cats are real characters. My son Aaron says his wife is going through "manypaws"-- she's taken in 4 cats recently, 2 of them justvwee kittens. He doesn't mind though.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know about Mr. King. That cow in the ad is very realistic.
'Manypaws' - I like it. 😄
DeleteGunning King was renowned for his realistic drawings of farm animals, and somewhat sentimentalised depictions of farming life.
I was sad when Punch stopped publishing, it seemed so darn British! I loved the cartoons in Punch. Bibby Cake must taste really good!
ReplyDeleteBibby cake certainly appealed to the farm animals! 😄
DeleteThat looks like a great place to sit and view the world and just think. Love hearing the stories of your cats.
ReplyDeleteIt's so funny. During the day the cats stay indoors, but in the evening they go out 'to take the air.'
DeleteI'm with Herschel.Sitting and thinking is one of my favorite activities. That's probably why I do it so much.
ReplyDeleteMe, too. 😉
DeleteYou have found another interesting story there.
ReplyDeleteI try not to think too much - makes me sad.
Having looked online at his paintings, I find they really appeal to me though I realise they're highly idealised.
DeleteLooks like Norman Rockwell's relative doing that painting. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDelete😄
DeleteBritish humour has always been great.
ReplyDeleteParticularly political humour.
Delete"The First World War (The Great War) started on 28th July 1914" - That was when Austro-Hungary declared war on Serbia but Great Britain did not declare war on Germany until August 4th 1914 - the day before my father was born. Thanks for educating me about the talented William Gunning King.
ReplyDeleteHe was very talented.
DeleteI love cats attitudes. If you want to go inside do it but if you want a treat insist on it before you do anything else.
ReplyDeleteCats are definitely their own people.
DeleteI wonder if you could say that 'Private Eye' took on the role of Punch. Mocking always, gentle satire, they give us the sense of the ridiculous which all good humour should be.
ReplyDeleteI wondered that, too. Private Eye is spikier than Punch, I think, but fills the void for political satire.
DeleteOf course you know I love hearing about Herschell and Jellico. This was an interesting article. I enjoyed looking at the pictures also.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lynn. 😄
DeleteToo bad neighbourhoods the world over don’t decide to remain neutral!
ReplyDeleteSadly, that will never happen.
DeleteHerschel and Jellicoe have great lives. And being cats, of course they are entitled to that.
ReplyDeleteThey rule the roost, that's certain.
DeleteCats know the best way to sit and think. Or just sit. I'm good with the sitting part, but don't often think, mostly I fall asleep instead. Much like a cat might.
ReplyDeleteBeing a cat isn't a bad occupation!
DeleteI love that photo of Herschel. He looks like a King surveying his domain!
ReplyDeleteHe is quite regal.
DeleteLovely photo-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteThank you, Christine. 😄
DeleteI smiled at Herschel negotiating for treats because it really does sound like he knows exactly how to get his own way. Cats have such different personalities, and it's funny how Jellicoe suddenly found the motivation to come inside once fresh chicken was mentioned. I also enjoyed the history behind "Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits." I had always associated it with Winnie-the-Pooh too, so it was interesting to learn it actually appeared in Punch years earlier. Those old cartoons have a wonderful way of capturing humor that still feels relatable today.
ReplyDeleteCartoons express succinctly what writers would take pages to achieve.
DeleteSue's brother and wife had a big enough house and property, so he was to keep her informed. One day, he was downstairs. His stated activity: thinking.
ReplyDeleteI love it!
DeleteCats can't always be bribed, or rather, you have to pick and choose the bribe to suit the cat. They have Views. Though freshly cooked chicken did it for ours every time.
ReplyDeleteOne of the things DH and I did, when we were first dating, back in the olden days, was read old Punch cartoons together. And father had quite a collection of them from the seventies and eighties and we would pounce on them whenever we stayed. I loved that quote, and another one that we still quote at each other today is: 'Darling.' 'Yes, darling?' 'Nothing darling, just darling darling' [bilious old gentleman nearby feels quite ill]
That's a wonderful recollection. I don't think Private Eye is quite so subtle.
DeleteIt's funny how some old cartoons are still funny, while others aren't. I like the "darling, darling" one.
ReplyDeleteSome things stand the test of time, while others are too tied to past events.
DeleteI've seen that "just sits" line on other cartoons, I believe. It's definitely familiar. Did Milne use it in his books, even if he didn't coin it?
ReplyDeleteApparently he didn't - others have scrolled through Winnie-the-Pooh to verify that. I suppose i should do that too, to satisfy myself.
DeleteThanks for sharing all these beautiful and fascinating pictures.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteThese are great. Cats will sit and just look at things for a long time. My saw that with my daughters cat.
ReplyDeleteThey can be quite unsettling sometimes, when they stare at *nothing* . . .
DeleteI read all the political cartoons and enjoyed these ones very much. I believe Herschel has the right idea.
ReplyDeleteI think Herschel is very wise.
DeleteYour cats are real characters and I do like the photograph of Herschel sitting there.
ReplyDeleteHappy midweek.
All the best Jan
Nearly the weekend again, Jan. 😄
DeleteCats will be cats. I enjoyed those cartoons. I did't know Punch had ceased publication -over 20 years ago, even.
ReplyDeleteI know - it's such a shame.
Delete"Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits’ has been attributed to Winnie-the-Pooh and it suits his personality, but it was not coined by A.A. Milne. " Ha, I don't care who originally the quote came from.....but I just live it and practioce 'just sitting' sometime....gladly!!!
ReplyDeleteThere's little more satisfying than just sitting.
DeleteThat photo of Herschel in his garden chair is precious! Your garden must be a fabulous retreat...for man and beast alike. You need to give us a virtual tour sometime . Ah, yes...but how I just sits and thinks.
ReplyDeleteIt would be a very carefully curated tour, believe me!
DeleteHerschel looks quite regal sitting in the chair.
ReplyDeleteHe's quite a noble cat. 😁
DeleteYour cats always make me smile. They seem to have got life sussed just right.
ReplyDeleteThey have a very pleasant life, it's true.
Delete