Wednesday, 5 August 2026

As the crow flies

 

As the crow flies

One of the crows we used to feed in the woods.

This is a frequently used idiom to describe the distance between two points. It means the most direct route, ignoring natural or man-made barriers. A journey by foot or in a vehicle may take eight miles, but if it were possible to take an unswerving path, it might only be four or five miles.

Crows do not literally fly in straight lines, but their flight is steady with little of the dipping and swooping associated with some other birds. The expression may have arisen from the fact that crows are noisy and noticeable and can often be seen beating alone across the sky.

The earliest printed record of the phrase occurred in 1761 in the Irish periodical ‘The Gentleman’s and London Magazine.’ It was used in that publication to discuss distances in America.  More than sixty years later, it was used by Charles Dickens in his 1838 novel ‘Oliver Twist’ and came into popular parlance thereafter as a way of estimating distances and travelling times before maps were commonplace.

45 comments:

  1. I love crows. They always come to the garden and caw loudly until I put out peanuts for them lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They remember the people who are kind to them.

      Delete
  2. I like crows too, but don't see "mine" much these days, it's winter so they are hunkered down in their nests I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably right. Birds don't like rain and wind.

      Delete
  3. I love animals, but your crow has cruel eyes and a potentionally dangerous sharp beak. They probably keeps him well fed and safe from enemies.
    But labrador dogs, penguins, koalas, red pandas, antelopes etc are so good looking, they don't threaten others. (Mind you, they may not be able to defend themselves as well as the crow).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love crows.This one and his mate used to follow us, waiting for food. When they had young they were 'introduced' to us.

      Delete
  4. Rogue crows, in my neighborhood they overturn all the trash cans and scatter garbage on the ground, shouting like crazy even before 5:00 in the morning :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will take easy pickings if they're available.

      Delete
  5. No crows here but straight lines over mountains like these seem a bit discouraging. Less than 4 miles to Picton as crows might fly - about 40 miles by road round hills and water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In German we have a lot less poetic way to express this - we simply say "Luftlinie", an imaginary straight line through the air. "As the crow flies" sounds much nicer!
    "Making a bee-line" is truly apt, because bees are super-efficient and don't dawdle or waste any energy on unnecessary flight. Once they have located a source of food, they fly there in a straight line, and the same is true for the way back to the hive. The bee keeper who is looking after the two hives at my employer's told us that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have some of the honey from the hives? I don;t like honey, but for those who do, it would be a real treat.

      Delete
  7. Our crows nest in our very tall Scots Pine and always make a helluva racket ... and a mess on the car parked beneath it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not house (or car) trained, certainly.

      Delete
  8. Crows are remarkable creatures. And if there were any shortcuts in the air, I would bet on the crows and other corvids knowing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the corvids are smart birds - I love them.

      Delete
  9. It’s a well-known phrase to me, and this post is also something to crow about — an expression that you could also delve into to save me the trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That’s a phrase I’m familiar with. I don’t think I’ve ever used it myself though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably falling out of use now, I suppose.

      Delete
  11. I guess today we should say "as the drone flies", or maybe "as the bee flies" based on the Librarian's comment. Crows in reality probably make diversions regularly, when they spot food or something else of interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'As the drone flies' isn't nearly as colourful an image, though. We could have 'as the missile flies' - even more worrying.

      Delete
  12. My husband and I use the phrase constantly. I don't think there's anybody younger than us that was even knows what we're talking about when they hear us. Also people younger than us I don't think they know what a crow is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things we say without thinking much about it.

      Delete
  13. A phrase we all use without consciously thinking of its origins.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would've thought Shakespeare coined the phrase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a likely source, but I can't find anything linking him to it, though he writes of birds a lot.

      Delete
  15. Interesting birds but a bit too noisy for me ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿ˜‚
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're certainly not peaceful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whenever someone says "as the crow flies" I always say, "Well, how far is it when the crow's driving?"

    ReplyDelete
  18. รก vol d'oiseau is the French way. Most of the European languages use just a bird to describe the straight line rather an specifically a crow. Tolkein said as the wolf runs in Lord of the Rings when talking of a length of a journey being more as the wolf runs than as the crow flies. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crows are noisy, but they're cute and smart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've often wondered why we say "crow," specifically, but now you've answered that question!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so love reading your blog. You always share very interesting information. I thank you for that. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those birds are incredibly cheeky! I don't know how many we have here in the park, but they make such a racket! Besides, they eat the smaller birds and aren't afraid of anything, they even share a food bowl with the castle cats. They know exactly when breakfast time is and who scatters bread on the grass! They seem to get along well with the magpies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting to learn of the origins of this popular expression!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Although they can be noisy, crows are intelligent.

    Our family does use the term 'as the crow flies'

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. It good in my book if it's how a crow flies. You know I love me my crows. (And what a handsome fellow the one in your photo is!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. So interesting. 1761? I did not realize they had magazines then. I can understand why it became more popular after Charles Dickens used it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beyond this example, Charles Dickens contributed SO MUCH to language development. One of the absolute best!

    ReplyDelete
  28. We have crows in our neighborhood and I enjoy watching them and listening to them when I'm in my backyard. They do generally fly straight across my backyard unless they are harassing the local Red-shouldered Hawk.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.