Friday, 7 August 2026

More crow!

 

More crow!

Anvilcloud suggested that I save him some trouble by finding out the origins of ‘something to crow about.’ It means that an event or result is worthy of being bragged about, but all I have been able to discover is that it is a phrase that has been in use since the 1500s and is associated with the morning crowing of cockerels (roosters). Cockerels crow loudly to assert their dominance over their domain. 

The American expression, ‘to eat crow’ means to admit that one is wrong, particularly when a position has been robustly defended. It implies a degree of humiliation and arose from around the middle of the 19th century. Humorous stories recounted how a conceited farmer was tricked into ‘eating boiled crow,’ which tasted foul. The idiom was shortened to ‘eating crow.’

‘Upstart crow’ was a description applied to William Shakespeare about 1592. Whether it was intended as an insult to demean him or used as a means of amplifying his eminence is probably a theme for a doctoral thesis (it becomes ever more difficult to find suitable subjects for dissertation in literature) One suggestion is that Shakespeare was denigrated as an impudent actor who had ambitions to become a playwright. That leads on to further discussion about who ‘really’ wrote Shakespeare’s plays.

‘Upstart Crow’ was a 2016 BBC television series written by Ben Elton. This excellent sitcom loosely traced the beginnings of Shakespeare’s life as a writer in London. It starred David Mitchell as the playwright, and had a superb supporting cast, including Liza Tarbuck, Mark Heap, and Gemma Whelan.

‘Stone the crows’ has its roots in early 20th century Australia, when farmers threw stones at crows which raided crops or attacked newborn lambs. It migrated to the UK and became ‘Stone me!’ as an expression of surprise.  

Crows’ feet are the tiny wrinkles that form over the years at the outer corners of the eyes. They start to appear from the late twenties and are the result of repeated smiling. They are more kindly referred to as laughter lines.

Crows are revered as messengers in many cultures and folk lore tells many tales. In Ancient Rome crows were used to divine the future. In later centuries, a single crow over a house foretold death and crows were believed to transport a person’s soul to the afterlife. A popular saying was ‘a crow on the thatch, soon death lifts the latch.’

The thought that crows are associated with death and mourning is borne out by observations of behaviour around a dead crow. The first crow to see the body called out and soon others flew in to join in a strident chorus of loud cries. The explanation was that the ceremony helped the crows to warn of danger and to cope with the reality of death.

I have not seen this happening with crows but have seen magpies behave in a similar manner. A cat carried off a young magpie and the other magpies, in all the trees around, set up a cacophony of grief, for that is what it seemed to be, that continued for almost half an hour. It was deafening and impossible to ignore.


62 comments:

  1. I should have maintained a neutral expression when I was younger instead of laughing so much. I am paying the price now.
    In northern Australia there are crows but in southern Australia we have ravens. I like ravens, except when they pull rubbish from open topped bins and scatter it everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see ravens. There are sightings of them in our area occasionally.

      Delete
  2. Your last crow photo looks like it should be the mascot of a hockey team. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stone The Crows is a great Australian expression :)
    The blue feathers on the rear half of the crow remind me a bit of the Australian Magpie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I remember correctly, the crow (or raven?) is something like a sacred animal to the Sinti and Roma people.

    Here, we have plenty of crows and magpies. They often make a racket in the mornings, and this is when I know that one or other of the neighbourhood cats are passing through the gardens around my house on their regular patrols.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this:
      The Magpie: Early 20th-century folklorists documented that traditional Romani symbols and regional identifiers sometimes featured the magpie as a revered bird alongside the hedgehog, which represents resourcefulness and living on the edge of the wild.
      The Wagtail (O Kalo Chiriclo): Often called the "Gypsy bird," seeing a wagtail by the roadside is traditionally interpreted as a sign of good luck, safe travels, or an indication that other Romani people or unknown relatives are nearby.
      Thank you for sending me on that search, Meike.

      Delete
  5. Crows are very clever. Our farmer friend said they could always tell the difference between him carrying a stick or his gun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Learning a lot here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you mentioned a 'parliament' or 'murder' of crows. Now there is a dissertation. I once saw a gathering/parliament of crows lined up on the Bath racing fences, it was somewhat scary and no I never seen Hitchcock's 'Birds'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about those collective nouns. A large gathering of any bird is to be treated with respect, I think, Thelma.

      Delete
  8. I didn’t realize there were so many sayings with the word crow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever the origins and the connotations of these expressions, crows are magnificent, intelligent birds and I enjoy them immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crows are all over our language!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The word crow certainly gets used in many ways. And when there is more than one in the area, I know it! Talk about talky birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very 'talkative' and have so many different calls.

      Delete
  12. In Game of Thrones a three-eyed crow guides Brandon Stark. He can see through the crow’s eyes - CJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, well . . . I've never watched Game of Thrones - clearly, I don't know what I'm missing!

      Delete
  13. DH and I regularly go to a park to feed crows and magpies. I've seen a magpie bully a rat until it ran off, leaving the magpie to enjoy a discarded sandwich. And magpies used to bully a former neighbour. He complained about the noise and yelled at them, and ever afterwards you could tell when he left his house by the cacophony the magpies set up when they saw him which I swear was mocking him.
    The thing about crows and their tribe is that they have more personality that should fit in their small bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cows remember human faces for years and will teach their young. If a human is unkind to a crow, he will always be despised by the crow and its family, and it seems that applies to magpies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. *Crows* . . . really must check before I press 'publish.'

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such interesting crow history and explanations. Fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the corvids are interesting birds, and intelligent.

      Delete
  17. Good research-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you. I do try . . . 😉

    ReplyDelete
  19. Magpies basically ARE crows, I think -- definitely related, at least. So it makes sense they would "mourn" in a similar way. I never knew the source of "eating crow," so that was interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magpies and crows are corvids, along with jackdaws, jays and others - all very intelligent and entertaining birds.

      Delete
  20. You've found many stories about the crow. They are very intelligent birds.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have many crows feet but I am not so sure they are all from laughing. Maybe some of them are from squinting my eyes up in horror/disbelief at the sheer stupidity of some humans that I come across 😉 But we'll just say they are from laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squinting doesn't help, but all lines and wrinkles are indications of a life fully lived. I'd rather see that than a smooth, rigid-looking face - so unnatural.

      Delete
  22. Interesting info about the crows. Yesterday at our farm, there were PLENTY of crows. The seem to love the pecan orchards. Crows are really very clever. This post reminds me of the old wives tale..."One's for sorrow, two for mirth, three for a wedding, four for a birth, five for silver, six for gold, and seven for a secret not to be told."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pecans will be a gift for birds. Your version of the old rhyme is slightly different to mine - 'One for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy,' and then the rest is the same. 😄🐦‍⬛

      Delete
  23. The consumption of most native birds in the United States (including crows) was outlawed around 1918 so if anyone here still eats crow, they aren't talking or writing about it. Magpies (which aren't found in the Eastern United States, where I live) and crows are both corvids, so I suppose it isn't surprising that some behaviors are similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating corvids is legally restricted here, too, though I suspect it still occurs in some rural communities.

      Delete
  24. All that was going through my mind while reading you post was the rhyme that Shug mentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that rhyme. It crops up from time to time in dramas.

      Delete
  25. I really like crows. I also like the group name of them - A murder of Crows. It sounds so dramatic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly make a murderous noise! 😄🐦‍⬛🐦‍⬛🐦‍⬛

      Delete
  26. Yo use another expression, you certainly took the bit between your teeth. Most of that is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I meant to link you, too, but was in a hurry and forgot - sorry!

      Delete
  27. It's true our SA crows are actually "Little Ravens" but they look the same and act the same so we just call them crows. I have seen the death circle, a few years ago now, a dead crow on the footpath was surrounded by four others and they made sounds for a while then just stood silently for several hours. Next day there was just one standing guard and he was gone by sunset.
    I love your photo of a crow in flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have seen that crow funeral. Animals can teach us so much.

      Delete
  28. We're supposed to have crows in Hawaii, but I've never ever seen one. I find it so interesting that crows look so different in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They come in many shapes and guises,but I like them all.

      Delete
  29. Great photographs here and more fascinating information ... thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is fascinating. One fact you may not be aware of is that crows are crazy smart. They recognize people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only do they recognise people but they remember those who have been cruel to them and teach their offspring to be aware. The can remember people for 15 years - that's astonishing.

      Delete
  31. After reading about Shingles Shot, I have something to crow about, We got our shingle shots, and this is a plus. we get all our shots, flu and whatever the doctor tells us we need to get... we have made it to 82 and 90 and no harm done by vaccines. Shingles in the eye happened to my friend and it lasted 2 months.. she was in agony. that was enough for me to get my shots

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for another fascinating read. I am happy to have crows visit here on occasion, and hearing them in the trees. Very fond of them in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Crows seem to have more sayings than just about any other bird.

    ReplyDelete
  34. We have both magpies and crows visit quite frequently here. They are both hansome birds.
    I enjoyed reading all the other croe thoughts.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.