Of mice
and men
The mouse
ran up the clock;
The clock
struck one,
The mouse
ran down,
Hickory, Dickory, Dock.
This nursery rhyme has been sung and chanted to children since about 1744. It is thought to have had its origins in chants used for counting out players from a game, rhymes like ‘one potato, two potato’ or ‘eeny meeny miny moe.’
It has a simple and repetitive rhythm, much like the ticking of a clock. At the beginning, the mouse runs up the clock. When the clock strikes the hour, the mouse runs down again. Some longer versions number all the hours, with actions to suit the words.
Hickory,
Dickory Dock,
The mouse
ran up the clock;
The clock
struck two,
The mouse
went ‘boo,’
Hickory,
Dickory Dock,
One version,
on reaching twelve says:
Hickory,
Dickory Dock,
The mouse
ran up the clock;
As twelve
bells rang,
The mouse
he sprang,
Hickory, Dickory, Dock.
In another version, at the twelfth hour, the clock asks the mouse why he is running away. The mouse replies that he fears the clock.
Hickory,
Dickory Dock,
‘Why to
scamper?’ asked the clock;
‘You scare me so,
I have to
go!’
Hickory Dickory Dock.
The rhyme is associated with the 15th century Exeter Cathedral Astronomical clock in England which is believed to be its source and inspiration. The clock shows the hour, the day and the moon’s phase. Below the clock face there is a door leading to the room that houses the clock mechanism.
The door leading to the clock room

.jpg)

I did not know there were so many verses to the chant.
ReplyDeleteI must admit I only ever sang the first verse.
DeleteThe Exeter Cathedral clock connection is fascinating.
ReplyDeleteIt’s charming to think that a simple solution for rodents gave rise to a nursery rhyme that has lasted generations.
It is rather wonderful.
DeleteI love the cat door!
ReplyDeleteWhat a good idea!
DeleteClever! The first cat flap (although without an actual flap.)
ReplyDeleteQuite so.😉
DeleteI did not know there were more verses, most of our nursery rhymes have a darker meaning.
ReplyDeleteThey certainly do.
DeleteI wonder, do children still learn nursery rhymes? I don’t think I have heard one in many a long time.
ReplyDeleteI think they do. I certainly sing them to my younger family.
DeleteThree Blind Mice has a rhythm to it almost a song for rocking the baby to sleep. Also never knew there more verses to it.
ReplyDeleteHear the rhythm and pay no heed to the darker words! 😉
DeleteI have 3 roughly carved wooden mice that I have attached -with Velcro - to my battery, pendulum, chiming wall clock. It makes me smile as I pass it in the hall. Lesley
ReplyDeleteThat sound wonderful. What a brilliant idea.
DeleteThank you Professor Janice. Once again you have opened my eyes to something I had never considered before. But what do the actual words, "hickory", "dickory" and "dock" mean? Sounds like a firm of solicitors.
ReplyDeleteIt's believed they derive from the old counting systems used by shepherds, in Cumbria, Lincolnshire, and other counties - 'Yan, tan, tethera' was 'one, two, three' - I've avoided writing a blog post on it . . .
DeleteUtterly fascinating!! I had no idea of the origin! I also didn't know of any other verses than the original but actually it would be a great piece to do with orchestra at school this year as it would be fun to do with the kids!
ReplyDeleteThere are resources online, as you might expect, with different rhymes. I can see it working with an orchestra and particularly with a choir singing and making the actions.
DeleteAnother extremely interesting post. So much more to that simple ditty Hickory Dickory Dock
ReplyDeletePeople spend a lifetime studying these things . . . 😀
DeleteAmazing about the grease on the clock and the cat getting the mice. But I guess more amazing to me is that this little diddy has been sung even when I was in school. We're talking quite a few centuries aren't we.
ReplyDeleteTwo and a half centuries, at least. It's quite amazing, really.
DeleteI have heard/seen the first verse, but can't recall having seen the others. I have seen an astronomical clock in the cathedral in Lund in the south of Sweden - that one also has a some figures coming out of it and doing a little "parade" at 12 o'clock.
ReplyDeleteClocks like that are fascinating. The work that went into creating them was quite phenomenal, and all done by hand by master craftsmen.
DeleteWell, now I know the history of the mouse and the clock, and the cats!
ReplyDeleteNow your life is complete! 😉
DeleteI read your post title and immediately thought of this nursery rhyme so I laughed when that's what this was about.
ReplyDeleteInteresting about the grease and I love that he had the hole put in for his cat to keep the mice cleared out.
It's a wonderful story, though the Bishop himself was not a very pleasant man.
DeleteI am today years old to learn that the rhyme was tied to a specific clock. I like the Bishop's solution to the rodent problem. I bet his cat liked it, too.
ReplyDeleteThere's no cathedral cat in Exeter cathedral now, sadly, but it was an inspired idea.
DeleteDo children still chant nursery rhymes, and when they use them in movies or tv, why do they sound so creepy?
ReplyDeleteThe little children in my family still sing them. The origins of them are frequently creepy and that's exploited in films.
DeleteAll very interesting. Who would have thought there was so much to know about an old nursery rhyme and who knew how old!!
ReplyDeleteWe don't know what we're singing and saying half the time . . .
DeletePerhaps the world's first cat door! (Or maybe not.)
ReplyDeleteIndeed. Perhaps that's where the idea originated. 🐈 🐁
DeleteWhen I saw your title, I thought of John Steinbeck!
ReplyDeleteLove the photo of that door - too bad the fire extinguishers were in the photo.
I remember so fondly a book of nursery rhymes that I had as a child. I carried it around with me so much that I think I must have finally worn it out. I do remember that "Hickory Dickory Dock" was one of the featured rhymes, although I don't remember if it had all twelve verses.
ReplyDeleteI remember Hickory Dickory Dock. I don't think I knew it had a verse for every hour though. Such a simple solution to the mouse problem. I assume they don't use animal fat anymore, lol.
ReplyDeleteGoodness, I never knew there were that many different verses to this nursery rhyme.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
I love hearing about the history of nursery rhymes. I find them so interesting!
ReplyDeleteAs I do frequently here, I learned something that is amusing, but telling at the same time. And I love the cat door.
ReplyDeleteI love that door! And, more so, I love that that door is still there...and the hole has not been barricaded up. (I, too, was anticipating John Steinbeck however. ;-) )
ReplyDeleteVery interesting information. I had no idea. I like that door as well.
ReplyDelete