Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Panice

 

Panice

Panisses

Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons


I kept writing ‘panice’ instead of ‘panic’ in yesterday's post. Maybe it’s because my name is Janice and I’m accustomed to writing ‘e’ following ‘c.’ 

So, I looked up Panice. It is an Italian family name for a supplier of millet, just as Cooper is a maker of casks and vats, and Smith is a person who works with metal.

Panice is also an alternative spelling of panisse, which is a French street food popular in Provence. It is made from chickpea flour and fried in olive oil until golden on the outside and soft in the centre.

Panisse was introduced to Provence by Italian workers from neighbouring Liguria, where is it known as panissa or panelle. It is particularly popular in Nice and Marseilles, traditionally eaten sprinkled with salt and pepper and accompanied by a glass of wine.

Image source

55 comments:

  1. Looks an interesting snack food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as though it might be difficult to stop at one!

      Delete
  2. Sounds tasty! I thought it was a necterine. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting dish... reminds me of roasted potatoes :))
    Wishing you a nice Tuesday, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first picture does look rather like roast potatoes, you're right.

      Delete
  4. That looks very good, I would enjoy this I'm sure. I like to travel around the world virtually to see what they offer in other countries. Thanks Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks interesting and not unlike polenta fries. I might try making some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like things made of chickpea, but I have never come across panice, neither in Italy nor in France. Must ask my cousin who has been living in Nice for nearly 30 years now whether she and her friends have it when they meet for apéro (their custom is to have wine or a fizzy drink before a meal, late afternoon/early evening, accompanied by nibbles; not like many people in Germany who will have wine both with and after a meal in the evening). I know they eat a lot of soccà, another specialty of Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting.to learn of other people's customs.

      Delete
  7. They remind me of the German potato pancake not sure what you would call them.* But it is definitely a carbohydrate dipping thing!
    *Kartoffelpuffer, that is a name to throw around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve never heard of panice before. I used to work with a girl who had horrible spelling and always put an e on the end of words. The only exception was words that should have ended in e she left it off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny. Habits like that become ingrained.

      Delete
  9. If it’s accompanied by a glass of wine I am all in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks tasty, particularly washed down with a nice glass of wine.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  11. One thought leads to another, with a little research along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flitting randomly from subject to subject . . .

      Delete
  12. I have never heard of Panisse, but I'll try anything, especially when it's served with wine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wouldn't mind trying some of that! And I agree about the wine.... On the side

    ReplyDelete
  14. You learned something new and we did too.. thanks for checking it out

    ReplyDelete
  15. Panisse is new to me Janice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have chickpea flour and I have olive oil, but the tight waistbands on my shorts are telling me I shouldn't try to replicate the snack.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds yummy especially with a glass of wine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love chickpeas. Salivating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look tasty, and with a glass of wine even better :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Panisse sounds like the perfect snack food. You find wonderful things to blog about.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds yummy. I like chickpeas. I think I've had something made with chickpea flour but don't remember for certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickpeas are tasty, and I imagine this snack is, too.

      Delete
  22. I've never heard of that but I bet it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything's better with wine. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how your mind wanders

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, Sharon. Too kind!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting how an extra letter led you to discover these new food items. They look pretty good to eat too.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.