Thursday, 20 August 2026

Petrichor

 

Petrichor

This word was unknown to me until I saw it twice in one day, courtesy first of Steve and then of Meike. It is a simple word to describe the almost indefinable scent that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell.

Petrichor is a word that was created in 1964 by two Australian scientists to replace ‘argillaceous odour’ as a description for the wonderful, earthy smell that follows rain. The word derives from a combination of the Greek words petra for stone and ichor, the golden blood of the immortals in Greek mythology. (In medicine, ichor was an archaic word for a thin, sometimes foul-smelling discharge from a wound.)

Bacteria in the soil create a chemical called geosmin, which accumulates in dry weather. At the same time, in the same conditions, soil absorbs chemicals secreted by plants. When rain falls, air in the soil forms small bubbles that rise to the surface and discharge fine vapours or aerosols.

 Humans are highly sensitive to geosmin and detect it even in small amounts. Scientists believe it is possible that ancient humans used this smell to find water and living plants during extreme dry weather, and that geosmin slowed the germination of seeds and subsequent plant growth.

Another word I discovered was ‘pluviophile,’ meaning a lover of rain and someone who experiences delight and serenity on rainy days. There must surely be another word to describe those who eventually tire of endless rain. I found there are two (at least!) – ombrophobia and pluviophobia, but I think there will be a short hiatus before any of us in UK fall prey to that condition.                                                                                                                   

                                                                               

55 comments:

  1. I have only become familiar wth it recently. I guess whatI used to smell in my dad’s greenhouses was a kind of petrichor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful smell, wherever you encounter it.

      Delete
  2. I love that smell. The rain now is a blessing... ask me again after it rains continuously for a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are greeting rain like a long-lost friend at present. That will pass.

      Delete
  3. As an American whose parents were both immigrants from England, I definitely have inherited pluviophilia, even though I live in the rainiest part of the US. Can't stand the heat and glare of summer, which is the only rainless season here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genetics have a major part to play in our reaction to our environment, I'm sure.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if there is a word for people who feel like they need a nap when it rains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find a word for that - we'll have to make one up. 😉

      Delete
  5. Believe me, it won't be long before you are reading blogs full of complaints about endless rain, people fed up with the weather, fed up with wet, fed up with cold, fed up with damp, fed up with grey days, and roll on summer. It happens every year. Memories are short in Britain be it politics or weather. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true - it's always the worst or the best of times, whatever's happening. Short memory is not always a bad thing, especially for the miserable events, though some seem to relish misery.

      Delete
  6. That first heavy scent of rain on dry dirt is honestly one of my absolute favorite things in the world, and it is wild to learn there is actual ancient biology tied to why we crave it. It is funny you mentioned the UK bit at the end too, because with how much grey drizzle we get, I feel like we constantly dance right on the edge between being total pluviophiles and secretly plotting an escape to the desert. That combination of geosmin and plant oils hitting the air just triggers something deep inside, and now I am definitely going to look at every summer storm a little differently knowing it is basically ancient chemistry calling out to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to be reminded that we are not so very far removed from our cave-dwelling ancestors. I'd like to think, but do not believe, that our atavistic skills could return or be revived as easily.

      Delete
  7. As we just got another 3/4 inch of rain this morn, I do get a bit tired of it. But this is the first summer is decades that it has been wet so much after extreme heat of June and early July. I fit in the middle, glad for rain but a bit bored by it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moderation in all things is the most pleasing state of affairs, and we're lucky if we experience that.

      Delete
  8. We haven't had any discernible amounts of rain in a couple of months and I miss that smell during, and just after, the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We smelt it briefly for the first time recently in weeks, a scent I wish we could bottle.

      Delete
  9. I had forgotten about smells ;) but yes rain soaked vegetation is good. Had to look up my favourite, it is courmain. I had smelt it when I broke a hay bail. for the horse. A sweet definitive smell of herbs. Apparently it smells like vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look that up, so thank you for that.

      I also found this:

      Health and Safety Toxicity: High doses can cause liver damage.
      Regulation: Restricted in food and cosmetic products to ensure safe consumption and usage limits.
      Who'd have thunk it?

      Delete
    2. Well in my case, only the horse but it is a bit of a worry as far as vanilla is concerned.

      Delete
  10. That has to be one of my favourite smells! I also love the smell of the forest in the Fall.
    Thanks for the fun post. I might be able to throw a word at my husband that he doesn’t know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to 'blind with science' sometimes . . . I hope the opportunity soon presents itself. 😉🤣😂

      Delete
  11. I suppose if there's a pluviophile, it makes sense there would be a pluviophobe! I'm sure there are evolutionary reasons why we are all so sensitized to (and enjoy) that wonderful smell after a rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should all be more in touch with our atavistic senses without being precious about it.

      Delete
  12. A few greek words there that I recognise. I'm always happy when I know the meaning of a word because I can speak greek.
    And that earthy smell after the first rain. Wonderful. I hope I'll be smelling it again soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need rain to douse the dry earth again.

      Delete
  13. For me, the rain smell is usually pleasant, but when I was growing up in New York City, April brought out a lot of earthworms and That pleasant smell turned into something Unpleasant. I wonder why that was. don’t know why iPhone dictation keeps capitalizing words that don’t need to be capitalized. I’m too lazy to go back and correct it today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that smell (and now I know why).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have heard pluviophile but had forgotten its meaning. I love petrichor, it's one of the best smells, right up there with vanilla, coffee and good chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose there might be some people who don't like it . . .

      Delete
  16. You can smell rain on the wind too. Weather forecasting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another sense that would have been so important to our forebears.

      Delete
  17. I did know this word.
    It is a wonderful smell and it has been a joy to have some rain :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite enough rain, yet, though I'm sure that will soon change. 😉⛈️☔

      Delete
  18. The earth gives off so many scents. I like the smell of homegrown tomato plants being watered in the evening. And I ccan smell rain beofre it arrives. Can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomato plants, and geraniums and yes to smelling rain - blissful after a dry spell.

      Delete
  19. My nose is not very efficient, and can rarely smell anything related to rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you're spared the more unpleasant odours, which is a blessing.

      Delete
  20. So, they weren't big on divining rods back in the day and used their noses. How very wise, when your life depends on finding water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't appreciate half of what humans used to depend on for survival. I hope we don't ever revert to that condition . . .

      Delete
  21. The wonderful earthy smell that follows rain still impresses us now, especially in areas that are largely dry for half the year. So I am not surprised it was named by Australian scientists.
    But although I will remember the "petra" half, the other half of the word is less familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that water in Australia is a precious commodity. I'm sure your governments and controllers have better methods of preservation and conservation. Our Victorian systems constantly spring leaks and waste gallons of water. It's deplorable.

      Delete
  22. Petrichor is one of my most favorite smells...along with the smell of corn tasseling out and of falling/decaying leaves. (I don't believe there are actual words for the latter two but there should be.) I am definitely a pluviophile vs. a pluviophobe...unless, of course, something is in my world is flooding...which has been known to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After your recent experiences of too much water in the wrong places, I applaud your pluviophility (is that a word?) Decaying leaves, leaf mould, damp earth are all energising scents.

      Delete
  23. All new words to me Janice - I have never heard of any of them. I do love the "smell" that the air gets when a good rainstorm is coming. I love the lead up to it just as much as the storm itself. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anticipation is a wonderful thing, Julie, the air full of ozone before the rains fall - just splendid.

      Delete
  24. I didn't know that the word was created so relatively recent - I always thought it's come down to us from some Greek scientist of antiquity.
    It absolutely makes sense for us as a species to be so sensitive to this particular scent; our survival has always been depending on having access to fresh water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are dependent on water, but are so cavalier in our attitude to conserving and storing it, particularly so in UK, despite protestations and 'lessons learned.'

      Delete
    2. We are no better in the US, despite all the warnings. In thinking about it, I don't think the attitude applies just to water either. As a society, we are a wasteful bunch.

      Delete
  25. Petrichor was new to me, pluviophile not at all. One surely may be pluviophylllic at times and pluviophobic at others. I know I experience both states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two sides of the same coin, each equally important.

      Delete
  26. A fascinating post and I enjoyed learning new words and about their origins. Thank you Janice!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I first heard the word on a Doctor Who episode where it was used as a telepathic password: crimson, eleven, delight, petrichor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting. I don't watch Doctor Who - perhaps I should.

      Delete
  28. D piped up and said she knew what 'petrichor' meant. I was impressed. She sheepishly admitted learniig it from a Dr Who episode too !!

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.