Well!
I bought a book recently. There’s nothing unusual in that except that I keep telling myself not to buy any more books. Actually, I’ve bought several in recent days. One, ‘Remember’ by Lisa Genova, I bought after reading another blogger’s review of it. Unfortunately, I can’t remember who recommended it (should make a note of these details) but thank you, anyway. I read it in one sitting.
I also bought ‘The wild bee handbook’ by Sarah Wyndham Lewis. This has some nice drawings of bees in it, but the photographs are disappointingly blurry.
‘The Importance of Being Interested’ by Robin Ince is rather harder going than ‘Remember,’ and Rosy Thornton’s ‘Sandlands’ was another blogger recommendation (again, my apologies as I cannot recall who it was.) I suggested it to my youngest daughter who is compiling a collection of short stories she has written, hopefully to be published some time next year. It’s always good to know what the competition is presenting.
During 'From My Mental Librarys's visit to Ripon this summer, Meike mentioned ‘Topping and Company’ in York, where she and her sister tarried a while. She included a link to the website, so of course I had to have a look.
I discovered a book that looked interesting, ‘A Year with Gilbert White’ by Jenny Uglow. He is considered the first great nature writer and he lived in Seldon, not far from my home, so a ‘local,’ much like Jane Austen.
I noticed that a signed first edition of the book was available at no extra cost, so I ordered one. I’ve always liked the idea of signed first editions. When I was teaching in Reading, the staff were invited to buy a signed first edition of David Attenborough’s book ‘The Living Planet.’ We were greatly disappointed when the print run of the first edition was exhausted and we had to be content with a signed second edition. Even so, it was something to be treasured.
The book by Jenny Uglow arrived, beautifully packaged, and it was several days before I could bear to remove the inner wrapping. New books are so special, with a wonderful smell and feel of their own, and I felt almost reverential as I opened the cover.
Well!
I couldn’t find the signature! I looked everywhere, knowing it ought to be on the title page, but searching every end page, front and back, I could find it nowhere.
I ‘phoned the company, expressing my disappointment, and they offered to send me another if I returned my copy. I demurred, not wanting to go to the trouble of parcelling and packing it. I suggested that it was unfortunate that a company should make such an error, as it would not be good for their reputation.
After a short discussion between the person who had been dealing with me and her supervisor, they decided to send me another copy, free of charge, which I was not expecting, but for which I was most grateful. Now I have two copies, one signed, one unsigned. (Maybe it’s saved a Christmas present problem!)
I really must stop buying books!
That is impossible- NEVER stop buying books! Books are everything and when the electricity goes out and all you have is a flame , you can read you way out of any harsh situation. Glad they sent you another book, as they should!!
ReplyDeleteRealistically, I am very unlikely to stop buying books for all ages on any subject. When all else is done, there are always books.
DeleteYou've given me quite a few recommendations to follow up, thank you 😊
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoy them.
DeleteDid you feel the irony of not being able to remember who recommended Liaa Genova's 'Remember' to you?
ReplyDeleteWell, now you mention it . . . 😳
DeleteThe subtitle is 'The Science of memory and the Art of Forgetting' - I seem to have the 'Art' part off pat.
Never stop buying books, it's always allowed to get another book, unless you never read them, but why buy a book and not read. I'm a bookworm always have been.
ReplyDeleteI give books as gifts, especially books I've enjoyed.
DeleteWell, you didn't buy the second Uglow book -- you got it free. So that's a start.
ReplyDeleteThere must be ways to train yourself to stop buying books. I'm sure somebody's written a book on that which you could buy.
Ha ha - very good - and you're probably correct.
DeleteI am disappointed in myself that I no longer read many books. I do sporadically read eBooks but now only detective novels. From my twenties to my fifties, I rarely read fiction but voraciously read histories and biographies. I learnt so much by reading, but perhaps I just moved on to the learning so much from the internet, things I probably would never have learnt from books.
ReplyDeleteReading is for pleasure, not pain or punishment.
DeleteThere are some things that we just cannot help buying even if we don’t need them. Nice that they sent you a free book but not so nice that the first one had no signature
ReplyDeleteIt was good of them.
DeleteGreat Christmas gift which means you are now one step ahead. Glad they sent the signed book as they should have. Sadly, I've not had time to read any books this summer... Enjoy a blessed day
ReplyDeleteThank you, Shug.
ReplyDeleteI say that every time I go in a charity shop, but I always come out with at least one book. Xx
ReplyDeleteImpossible to resist.
DeleteAlways good to have Christmas gift ideas ready ahead of time. I even wrap them when I buy something ahead of time. Then I just have to remember where I hid it! 🤣
ReplyDeleteI have the memory problem, too . . .
DeleteOne can never have too many books 😉
ReplyDeleteAgreed!
DeleteGlad you got a signed copy!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteYes, I was pleased.
DeleteIt's irritating when you buy and item with expectations and they are not fulfilled. Nice to hear they will rectify the error free. Last year I could not keep my wild bees filled with sugar water. This year I did not try to even start it up. However, I was disappointed during the extreme heat and dry of June and most July, they did not come for birdbath water. I have seen a few feeding on the zinnia.
ReplyDeleteIt's a shame about your wild bees and worrying, too.
DeleteDon't stop reading books - just stop buying them. In front of the three coffee shops nearest to my home is a pole with a glass box on top. It may only hold 30 books, but if you take one of them home to read, most people leave a book in its place. That way the neighbouhood has a constantly changing choice of books to read... fir free.
ReplyDeleteInteresting idea!
DeleteThey did the right thing, sending you a replacement copy. As I understand it, authors pre-sign the title page which is then bound into each "signed" copy of the book. Maybe she missed one of the pages?
ReplyDeleteThat's quite spoilt my mental image of an author sitting signing one copy after another, though I suppose that still happens at book shop signing sessions.
DeleteThat's the one thing I like to buy and keep. Books. The memories they hold of the story inside and the story of my life when I first read them.
ReplyDeleteOh, yes - so many memories wrapped up in books.
DeleteIt's hard to stop buying books (speaking about me). In fact, I have ordered Jenny Uglow's book after reading this. It sounds like something I would thoroughly enjoy and thank you so much for all the other books too. I have to wait a while, but it will be well worth it and a lovely surprise when received.
ReplyDeleteI hope you won't be disappointed, though I think it's right up your street, Denise.
DeleteWell! Completely impossible for me to stop buying books, so feel free to continue the practice knowing there are plenty of us out there doing the same. In fact, on my regular visits over the Pond, I make a list of books not available in US (or ones that have better cover art as was true for Mantel's The Mirror and The Light). I carry an extra folded bag just to bring back books (one time, it held ten). I've not been to the Toppings in York but I will be returning to the one in Edinburgh in January. In London I usually make it to John Sandoe's in Chelsea, Hatchard's on Piccadilly, the five-story Waterstone (I have my loyalty card!) down the street, Daunt in Marylebone, old and new bookstores on Charing Cross Road. In Oxford, Blackwell's. There's also a Toppings I've visited in Bath. Can't forget Charity shops for books.
ReplyDeleteNot hard to guess where I happily spend a great deal of my time (and £) in the UK. :)
Our book stores would be lost without your custom, so, on behalf of them, thank you. 😄
DeleteOne of the delights of following blogs is getting book recommendations. I buy all my books second hand (or use book swap boxes which are common in many towns here) so am a bit behind the curve getting to recommended reads.
ReplyDeleteThere are so many recommendations from different sources for every taste and predilection. I enjoy reading reviews.
DeleteI love new books, really new ones. Its been a long time since I've had one of those in my hands. That untouched feeling.
ReplyDeleteIt's very special when it has been signed too. Definitely something to keep and admire on your bookshelf.
Keep buying books and enjoy reading them!
We all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet, which is encouraging.
DeleteStop buying books? That would be like stop eating food.
ReplyDeleteQuite so!
DeleteGood for you for being assertive and following up on the unsigned book.
ReplyDeleteIt was worthwhile.
DeleteOf course we can't stop buying books! But now all of my purchases are of the Kindle variety - no signed copies there. It's just as well because all the bookshelves in my house - and there are many! - are loaded with books. We have, in the past, donated many to the local library for their sales and we need to donate again. Otherwise, I suppose our children will be donating after we are gone.
ReplyDeleteBut I enjoy the presence of books and they are an inspiration. Our library is where my computer is and where I do my blogging and other writing. I like being able to look up and see all those books surrounding me.
Books furnish a room, I think, though there's rather too much furniture in my rooms, of all sorts!
DeleteGlad they came to their senses and sent a copy for free.
ReplyDeleteIt was good of them.
DeleteThere's always room for one more book! Or two or three! LOL
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
They don't take up much room . . . if only that were true.
DeleteBuying books is a bit of a weakness for me too Janice. I have been very good for a long time & not bought any but in the last two weeks i have purchased two!!!! I am pleased to read they sent you a signed copy. I would certainly keep the spare copy for a christmas gift.
ReplyDeleteThey are irresistible.
DeleteI just bought two today. To add ot my TBR pile.
ReplyDeleteMy TBR pile is big and growing.
DeleteI tell myself to stop buying books too, but then I spot a couple by an author I like at a thrift shop, so of course I buy them, and find a few at "Little Libraries" too, the glass door boxes mentioned by another commenter, we have them everywhere, but sometimes they are coffee stained or have a page missing. I have left a few of my own in such "libraries", books I have read and know I don't want to read again.
ReplyDeleteI keep books 'in case' but I know I'll probably never read them again, but I hate parting with them.
DeleteWell, indeed. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never stop buying books until I lose my sight completely. And even then, I may still do so just for the smell and feel of a book in my hands.
ReplyDeleteWe are all of the same opinion I think.
DeleteHello Janice, I am sorry that you find "The Importance of Being Interested" hard-going, but I still hope you have not regretted ordering it. By the way, it's Topping, not Topper ;-)
ReplyDeleteWould making use of a library be an alternative for you, instead of buying more books?
I think it seemed to be hard going only because I read it immediately after 'Remember' which was so easy. I shall correct Topper to Topping - thank you for pointing that out.
DeleteI used libraries a lot when I was younger, but now prefer my own copies. Reference books, of course, I must have to hand, even though with a computer it's so easy to look up information.
Don't stop buying books.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a great collection, and far meatier than the fluff that I usually read. I look forward to reading your daughter's book.
As for the publisher, sometimes I worry that basic office skills are evaporating, like the ability to put the right book in the correct envelope. Mind you, mistakes happen, and I suppose that they got there in the end.
I do agree about basic office skills - well, basic skills of any sort, really. Sad.
ReplyDeleteTo even think of ceasing to buy books is heresy, so disabuse yourself of that thought right now!
ReplyDeleteDone!
DeleteMaybe someone got a book with two signatures!!
ReplyDeleteThere's a thought!
DeleteI'm glad they made it good in the end!
ReplyDeleteI used to tell myself that I could never have too many books, but I'm trying (not always successfully) to be better at not buying books lol
They're too tempting.
Delete