I have some left & right hiking socks . A present from my sister . The L & R is very visible & I sometimes wonder if anyone thinks it’s an indication of my anal nature ? Wendy in York
I know that at the time of the mid 19th century that we did not have left and right shoes. Maybe the socks Left and right were notnecessary because socks are so flexible that they can conform to the foot they are on.
Easy, socks have the same shape so you can switch them as often as you want, which is not possible with shoes or gloves. I never pay attention what sock I put on they all fit ! Btw after a loong fight with Boogle Glogger I am back ! Never agree to an update ! Instead of make it easier it becomes very complicated and now it is easier to break into a bank then into your Blog !
If you buy more than one pair of the same colour/kind, there will also be less waste, because then if you lose or get a hole in one sock, you might still one day find use for the "spare" one...
This immediately reminded me of a pair of socks I had in junior high...they were designed like gloves and thus there was a left and a right. Hmm...someone is likely still marketing novelty socks like this.
There have been times in my life when I have bought seriously expensive socks, designed with the hiker in mind, with anti-odour properties, the ability to wick away moisture to keep the feet dry, and other exciting and sophisticated enhancements, but I have never had right and left socks.
Well, in truth, gloves/mittens really can be for either hand if one flips them upside down. (Don't ask me how I know.) (And, yes, even it Nod there are pairs of socks that come with left and right but it seems they actually need to be marked with an "l" or an "r" to distinguish which leads one to wonder whether they, truly, are distinguishable at all.
great question....I've noticed that Sam's socks these day have a small emblem on the outside of the sock...It's important to let that emblem show...the only way I know it's a left or right sock.
I have socks with a design on the outside of the ankle (a heart, a koala, a panda) so clearly they are left and right socks, but all the others are plain and it really doesn't matter which foot they go on.
Thank you all for your comments. I had never associated the design on socks with indicating left and right. I would wear them that way (if I wore socks) because a design in intended to be seen! I have seen socks with separate toe 'compartments' not just the big toe - I think they must be uncomfortable. Specialised socks for cycling or hiking make sense - extra support, probably, and compression. Jan's link to socks is interesting.
I am a lefties, and am always amazed at finding cream pitchers , ladies, and knives with a definite orientation designed for the right-handed person. Very frustrating.
Because a left or right foot can fit in a tube, but a tube makes a thumb useless. such philosophical questions so early in the morning
ReplyDeleteI have some left & right hiking socks . A present from my sister . The L & R is very visible & I sometimes wonder if anyone thinks it’s an indication of my anal nature ?
ReplyDeleteWendy in York
Don’t be offended by it, serious sockage always differentiates left and right.
DeleteAnna.
Good point
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
We would ... if everyone wore toe socks!!!
ReplyDeleteIt depends on the style.
ReplyDeleteInteresting item to ponder....
ReplyDeleteI know that at the time of the mid 19th century that we did not have left and right shoes. Maybe the socks Left and right were notnecessary because socks are so flexible that they can conform to the foot they are on.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness we don't have right and left socks; it's one less thing to worry about.
ReplyDeleteOnly the fun kind that actually have toes knitted in, lol.
ReplyDeleteRight! Left! Right! Left! Right! Left! Right! Left! Right! Left! Right! Left! Just keep marching!
ReplyDeleteDoesn't that usually start with Left? Left, Right, Left, Right
DeleteEasy, socks have the same shape so you can switch them as often as you want, which is not possible with shoes or gloves. I never pay attention what sock I put on they all fit !
ReplyDeleteBtw after a loong fight with Boogle Glogger I am back ! Never agree to an update ! Instead of make it easier it becomes very complicated and now it is easier to break into a bank then into your Blog !
I suppose toes don't require the same dexterity as fingers. :)
ReplyDeleteIf you buy more than one pair of the same colour/kind, there will also be less waste, because then if you lose or get a hole in one sock, you might still one day find use for the "spare" one...
ReplyDeleteYou're hurting my brain with your philosophical questions!
ReplyDeleteNever even thought of this. Good question.
ReplyDeleteThis immediately reminded me of a pair of socks I had in junior high...they were designed like gloves and thus there was a left and a right. Hmm...someone is likely still marketing novelty socks like this.
ReplyDeleteDo you know! I'd not even thought of this!
ReplyDeleteOf course it meant a search of the internet to find out more ... and there is more!
https://sockfly.com/blogs/fun-sock-articles/do-socks-have-a-designated-left-and-right-foot-understanding-the-evolution-of-sock-design
This is why blogging is fun, you never know what you will be finding out :)
Thank you.
All the best Jan
Never thought of that
ReplyDeleteThere have been times in my life when I have bought seriously expensive socks, designed with the hiker in mind, with anti-odour properties, the ability to wick away moisture to keep the feet dry, and other exciting and sophisticated enhancements, but I have never had right and left socks.
ReplyDeleteThings that make you go hmmm
ReplyDeleteThat's a good question.
ReplyDeleteI am a southpaw. As to left and right sock? Sistah, do NOT complicate my life.
ReplyDeleteWell, in truth, gloves/mittens really can be for either hand if one flips them upside down. (Don't ask me how I know.) (And, yes, even it Nod there are pairs of socks that come with left and right but it seems they actually need to be marked with an "l" or an "r" to distinguish which leads one to wonder whether they, truly, are distinguishable at all.
ReplyDeleteThere has to be something in between right and left.
ReplyDeletegreat question....I've noticed that Sam's socks these day have a small emblem on the outside of the sock...It's important to let that emblem show...the only way I know it's a left or right sock.
ReplyDeleteIf we had left and right socks, then would they be more comfortable?
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
I have socks with a design on the outside of the ankle (a heart, a koala, a panda) so clearly they are left and right socks, but all the others are plain and it really doesn't matter which foot they go on.
ReplyDeleteYou do raise interesting questions
ReplyDeleteI've marked my socks left and right. I don't like last minute decisions early in the morning.
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your comments.
ReplyDeleteI had never associated the design on socks with indicating left and right. I would wear them that way (if I wore socks) because a design in intended to be seen!
I have seen socks with separate toe 'compartments' not just the big toe - I think they must be uncomfortable.
Specialised socks for cycling or hiking make sense - extra support, probably, and compression.
Jan's link to socks is interesting.
I am a lefties, and am always amazed at finding cream pitchers , ladies, and knives with a definite orientation designed for the right-handed person. Very frustrating.
ReplyDeleteGood question ... although now I come to think of it, my husband's got some pairs of compression socks marked L and R ... xxx
ReplyDelete