Saturday, 10 October 2026

AI and recipes

 

AI and recipes

Barry has taken over culinary duties, to my relief. All I have to do is order the ingredients and that I can do easily. He enjoys cooking, which I don’t. He is officially diabetic, recently confirmed, though working to reverse it, and knowing his determination, he will achieve his aim.

He also has a renal problem, so food that is good for one condition is not necessarily appropriate for the other. AI has proved useful in providing suitable recipes.

He started counting calories in a bid to lose more weight to counter the diabetes, though he is by no means heavy, weighing only around two stone more than when he was a fit young man of twenty.

I’ve joined him in calorie counting, just for curiosity. It’s amazing to discover just how many calories there are in the simplest things.

AI is not foolproof and must be checked for accuracy. 

57 comments:

  1. If Barry is a good cook, then that's wonderful. I like cooking but only have myself to cook for so it's not very interesting. Perhaps you'll let us know the number of calories in some foods that are more or less than one might expect.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a good cook and tastes as he goes, which I never do. I eat to survive, he eats to enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Counting calories is essential for many people, but it can become obsessive. Once I had learned which foods to avoid, I would never discuss them again. And thank the beloved for cooking delicious food.

    I make 6 dinners a week and the spouse cooks one, bless his heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making the most of it, because it will revert before long! 😉

      Delete
  3. Hurray for Barry doing the cooking! I've mostly lost interest in meal preparation but am well aware of the need to eat healthy foods. It's a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a dilemma, but food is essential for life, sadly. It's such a shame that the things that are really toothsome are the very things we *should not* be eating.

      Delete
  4. I hope Barry is successful reversing the diabetes. I never bother counting calories, just eat what I want, but only half the amount. I gave up "fast foods" several years ago and all soft drinks too and haven't had any cake since last April at a birthday lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been very successful, too. Once your body is accustomed to less, it adapts.

      Delete
  5. How lovely Barry is doing the cooking. My hubby does this too as I am unable to stand for too long. It really is a blessing. Barry has a great approach to his diabetes. I use AI for calorie counts and also for healthy recipes, also medical questions. Hubby is big on that. It points him in the right direction and he is learning so much on various subjects. I also have a calorie counting app on my phone. I have to pay for it but it’s a huge help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AI is really useful for practical things. Even so, sometimes it makes foolish mistakes/assumptions.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely, best to go to every source to verify.

      Delete
  6. I am so very bored with cooking now but would starve if it was left to hubby ... or else exist on a diet of supermarket ready meals. So, it's now simple healthy food with some help from pouches of precooked rice grains and lentils, plus plenty of herbs and spices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merchant Gourmet pouches are so useful and there's such a variety now. I usually only use the chestnuts, and sometimes the puy lentils, but they're good as a stand-by.

      Delete
  7. With a full house, is Barry cooking for everyone?
    You say AI has been helpful for his diet planning, but perhaps just old Google would have done the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He cooks enough that everyone can eat if they wish. Yes, Google is good, but AI is quicker for him.

      Delete
  8. I have two days cooking in the week, the other two have similar with the last day a 'free day'. I think there is too much information out there and it all becomes confusing. Never counted a calory in my life but as time has progressed given up chocolates and cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never counted calories, either, so it's quite a novelty.

      Delete
  9. I'm prediabetic and work hard to keep it that way, my hubby has done all the cooking and baking for years, he loves to be in the kitchen, like you Janice I prefer just to eat his creations, I don't mind sorting the kitchen after our meal, hubby is a tidy cook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How good to see you back blogging - (missed yesterdays return)
    Balancing different health issues must be complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see you blogging again. Mick's the main cook here which suits me fine as cooking isn't something I particularly enjoy, though I do enjoy baking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cooking/baking gene bypassed me completely, but all my children have inherited it from my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I truly wish Barry the very best with the food control for his diabetes. And I'm so glad to see you back on the blog. Been wondering if you were okay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have anyone cooking for me, but on the other hand very rarely have to cook for anyone else - and no one but myself to complain about the menu... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can please yourself - always the best option!

      Delete
  15. In our house we both cook. It works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the chopping and clearing up. Each to their own.

      Delete
  16. That sounds wonderful. It's amazing how AI and apps can help with health. Your Barry is a keeper

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ai is such a big help. We have been using it to plan vacations, get information, and even recipes. It is a big help, but does make mistakes. I've questioned and it changes it's mind.. I do all the cooking in this house. My husband doesn't have a clue when it comes to cooking but he does make a great salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AI is always very polite and receptive when corrected, we find.

      Delete
  18. I am almost down to what I weighed then, but it looks very different, especially after being too overweight for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's lovely to see you back blogging.
    Balancing different health issues is never easy.
    There is a lot of information on the web but it always pays to double check things.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting exercise and imperative to get the right answers.

      Delete
  20. Although I’m an avid collector of cookbooks I still get most of my recipes online 😂
    I could do with counting some calories, my waistline is thickening by the day - I say this whilst tucking in to some homemade ginger cake!
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade ginger cake sounds wonderful, and you know exactly what's in it. 😊

      Delete
  21. My daughter was able to reverse her diabetes with diet. I imagine trying to find foods that are suitable for both conditions is a bit of a challenge.
    AI can be useful but I have caught some things it has said that are incorrect. Always good to double check things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is challenging, but fortunately he rises to challenges. 😊

      Delete
  22. I'm glad he's willing to act on the issues rather than expecting you to. Good for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I load the dishwasher. My husband unloads and puts the dishes away. That's our division of labor. It's good that you've found a use for artificial intelligence. I have some of the same health issues as your husband, so I understand all to well the challenge of creating meals that met the guidelines that I need to adhere to.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking the suitability of different ingredients is interesting and throws up some surprises.

      Delete
  25. AI is just. one of many available tools.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is, We never rely on one single source of information.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now if I could get AI to do the cooking and cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh you lucky thing - I wish my OH would take responsibility for his diabetes. He expects (asked) me to makes meals that will lower the test numbers then treats me like a gaoler because I'm depriving him of his joys in life (sugar, sugar, and more sugar).

    ReplyDelete
  30. AI helps me a lot with internet shopping and also some general questions such as "how old is (someone in the news, etc.)? Recipes for two complex medical conditions? I'd be a bit cynical about that. Good that you are, also. Like CJ Kennedy, I would love AI to take over the housework.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Calorie counting is enlightening (and depressing) but yes indeed, data does help us change our habits.

    ReplyDelete
  32. AI is so useful. More accurate than health professionals lol

    ReplyDelete
  33. I tend to look at calories when I'm eating something naughty. If they are too high it persaudes me not to eat them. At least not for an hour or two. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm glad you are getting some assistance with the full house. I come from a long line - and family - of cooks (my mother was a professional cook) and enjoy cooking tremendously...and even more so, baking, but when I was working long lawyer-ish hours and managing the house otherwise, my husband took over meals for several years and was very adept and creative. He did not, however, bake. ;-) Now with it being just me to please, I tend to opt for baking most often and I do not need to consult with AI about the wisdom of that.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.