Friday, 9 October 2026

Hello!

 

Hello!

Hello! (Waves tentatively from the sidelines.)

Apologies for my absence – overtaken by events, so to speak.

Writing is rather like exercising. It can be satisfying if you keep going, but difficult to start again when you stop.  Anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained, (such a useless platitude) after several false starts I have resumed.

Our house has filled up again for the time being, with Susannah, Frankie, Arthur and the three cats, Solomon, Lenny, and Zula. They will stay with us until their London flat is sold and a house bought locally.

Yesterday, the chimney sweep came to sweep our sitting room burner. It has been a long time since our chimney received any professional attention and that became evident the longer he worked. He spent a couple of hours vacuuming, filling his machine with the quantity of soot he normally collects in sweepings from several houses. Next time, he will look at the conservatory fire, but that is rarely used, and easier to deal with. It has a straight flue, unlike the sitting room, whose flue is kinked. It’s the original chimney from when the house was built seventy years ago. Anyway, all is well now and we have celebrated with the first fire of the season.

Today, the boiler is being serviced. Winter fast approaches, though to listen to *Weatherlink, one would be fooled into thinking it is still high summer, since we were informed that today the temperature would reach 35ΒΊ C (95ΒΊ F)!  Weatherlink needs to be adjusted, obviously.

                                                                                             

From AI:  *WeatherLink is a cloud-based weather platform, mobile app, and hardware ecosystem created by Davis Instruments that lets you view, store, share, and analyse live and historical data from personal weather stations.

I shall now go for a wander round blogworld!

 

 

56 comments:

  1. Welcome back Janice! Many of us have missed you. With a full house, I expect that there will still be gaps in your blogging.
    P.S. Thank heavens you got your chimney cleaned before a conflagration ensued. Leaving it so long was naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hellooooo 😍
    Lovely to see you back x
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison. I hope all is well with you.

      Delete
    2. Yes, thank you so much x
      Alison x

      Delete
  3. Phew. I am very relieved to see you back here again. You had us worried for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JayCee - I have some catching up to do.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back! I am so glad you are having chimneys cleaned and the boiler taken care of, added to your new roof, the house should be well able to stand the coming winter. And you have extra cats to lay around on laps and keep everyone warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't move for cats round here - nice , though.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back, its good to get your house/heating winter ready

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just in time, I think. It's draughty today.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to see you again. So many worried messages! Where's Janice? Has she run away? What's up? None of the above. Good thing you got that chimney cleaned. That was a fire waiting to happen in the chimney.
    Now you've started back, keep going please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back. Great to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely surprise to see you this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did a post on why you went missing! Blogland can be very amusing sometimes. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clearly, you'll never need to wonder if you are missed. The answer is an obvious yes! I can understand how 'rebooting' your writing after a period of rest is not easy. Not quite writer's block, but not far off, I'm guessing. Mary
    (blogger won't let me sign in under my g-account unless I allow cookies--however, I'm on a 'diet' from those kind of cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would rather have three cats than one yorkshire terrier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello and welcome back, Janice!
    Looks like you won't be short of company for a while.
    Also, you've been just in time getting ready for the colder season. I have not yet turned the central heating on in my flat, but this morning outside we had 6C followed by nothing warmer than maybe 14 during the day, with grey skies and a sprinkle of rain. Definitely autumn, as it should be in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely autumn, which makes the occasional warm day with sun and blue sky extra welcome.

      Delete
  13. Welcome back! Sounds like lots being done there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely to see this post from you.
    A warm welcome back to blogland.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! I was hoping nothing had gone wrong. Lots going in in your life and hoping you find time to blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall try, Alana - I can be very trying. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  16. Very nice to see this pop up this morning.
    From my childhood I can never remember having a chimney cleaned, although I do recall one catching fire once. No harm was done. Sometimes some soot would fall down.
    You certainly have a full house, and not just for a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back! I missed you so much. Glad you had your chimney cleaned. I don't use my fireplace a great deal, but I had the chimney cleaned several years ago. My house was built in 1940 and the very kind chimney sweet said he didn't think my chimney had ever been cleaned!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your chimney is now ready to let a good fire blaze. It certainly makes a difference. We use our main fire all through the colder months.

      Delete
  18. Lovely to see you back and I also missed you. I remember dad using the old chimney brush to push its way through the top. He used to send us outside and let him know when the brush could be seen. Great fun but at that age we had the giggles for everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't we always do everything ourselves? Self-sufficiency was a badge of pride.

      Delete
  19. Glad to see you back. I agree with your comparison between writing and exercising, though - it can be quite difficult to get back to the routine after a longer break.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome back! You were missed!! I'm getting ready for winter too. We are packing up to go to Florida where we spend the winters. Lol..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome back. That is such a good comparison. It is hard to get back to writing after being off for a while

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome back Janice, lovely to hear from you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. I will endeavour to stay . . . πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  23. Glad to see you back, that Blogger problems are solved, that you are not sick the only reason is you reopened HOTEL MAMMA, like a few years ago, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, you remember that, Ingrid. Same child, just older now and taller and more argumentative. 😷

      Delete
  24. I recall you mentioning a no bread diet some time back. Changes of a lifetime's habits can be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Taking a break is refreshing isn't it? A holiday in an exotic place but you eventually miss home and the people associated with it. I'm glad you sought to re-establish contact; many of us missed you and wondered where you had gone.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.