Forty winks
When the sun beats down relentlessly, the senses become befuddled and concentration is increasingly difficult. Perhaps that is the time to stop battling the urge to close your eyes, allow the lids to droop and have forty winks.
This common English idiom was first recorded in 1821 by William Kitchiner (1778-1827) who advocated a short sleep in daytime for good mental and physical health. William Kitchiner was known as ‘a celebrity chef.’
Why is it ‘forty’ winks rather than twenty-one or seventy-five, or any other random number? The number forty has often been used to indicate a vague but substantial period, or an extensive set of things or events in folklore. In the Bible, Moses spends forty days on the mountain, the rains fall for forty days and forty nights in the Great Flood, Christ endured forty days in the wilderness. In The Arabian Nights, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves tells the story of an honest poor man who uncovers a thieves’ treasure den. From that story comes the phrase, ‘open sesame.’
A ‘wink’ is a fleeting closing of the eyes. It may be deliberate; a wink can be a hidden message between two people, or an indication of a joke, or a flirtation, but in the context of ‘forty winks’ it means not a constant blinking but a ‘resting of the eyes’ as some like to express it. In other words, it is a brief, restorative sleep.
Some people consciously choose to have forty winks. I worked with someone who daily had forty winks in the lunch break. I may be wrong (frequently am!) but it seems to me that men are more inclined than women to take forty winks.
Forty winks...I've heard this many times. Thankfully, I am not a day sleeper and for this reason I never get to experience the forty winks....Have a good weekend..
ReplyDeleteThere are some who never have forty winks - my mother was one and you are another. 😊
DeleteI love a blog that explained things like this.
ReplyDeleteThank you. 😊
DeleteFor me forty winks indicates the 40 minutes that is usually the amount of time I nap for when my eyes droop and close in my TV chair, though sometimes also at the keyboard if I have been extra busy before turning on the computer.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good nap!
DeleteI was familiar with the expression but didn't know where it comes from, or how long it has been around. Resting one's eyes... now that instantly brought back the Monty Python sketch in the pet shop where the man tries to sell a dead parrot to a customer. "He's dead!" - "No, he isn't, he's resting!"
ReplyDeleteMy father always claimed he was 'just resting his eyes' when he dropped off to sleep in his chair. The dead parrot sketch will never be forgotten.
DeleteInteresting! I had my 40 winks earlier. Probably why I am awake writing this to you at 1.to a.m.
ReplyDeleteA nap during the day can play havoc with your night-time sleep . . .
DeleteI've never noticed the frequency of forty as a random number or something from ancient historical fiction. Interesting, indeed.
ReplyDeleteExpect further ramblings on the matter . . .
DeleteI don't know about men but when I sit down after lunch the chances are I will nod off for a short time. It's lovely! xx
ReplyDeleteI think a brief nap is supposed to aid digestion, isn't it? 😉
DeleteYou always draw the fact together very closely. I often fall asleep after lunch but have no knowledge of the time taken. So 40 winks is just one of those whimsical things we say.
ReplyDeleteA short sleep can be refreshing, but a deep daytime sleep can be very disconcerting, trying to swim up from the depths.
DeleteHubby has a nap most afternoons, something I am unable to do, I can't sleep in the day.
ReplyDeleteMy mother never did, either, but my mother-in-law went out like a light.
ReplyDeleteYour final remark is crudely sexist Janice - which is most surprising, coming as it does from the keyboard of a fair-minded champion of equality. In my judgement, I would say that the chances of an adult human taking forty weeks are equally balanced in terms of gender. Admittedly, this may not be the case in a particular house, in a particular village in Berkshire - namely the house in which you reside with Rip Van Winkle.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like the weak defence of a man who knows that women are usually right - and I'm sure Mrs YP would agree.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of forty winks but know I will wake up feeling worse.
ReplyDeleteooh, YP is a bit sensitive there!
Waking from a heavy daytime sleep is difficult and quite unnerving.
DeleteHere in my house the man takes 40 Winks about three times a day! Don't know how he then managed to sleep 8 hours at night but he does. Unfortunately for me no matter how tired I get I cannot take any kind of nap during daylight.
ReplyDelete'Three times a day' - that made me laugh out loud.
ReplyDeleteI've heard the phrase before but never knew where it came from. I would say that it was my husband who took more of those 40 winks than I ever did.
ReplyDelete😃
DeleteI often have forty winks after lunch these days, interesting to think about all the other ‘ forties ‘ throughout history .
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
😉
DeleteI often rest after lunch, but I do not always have 40 winks. Sometimes I barely wink at all. If there has been a nap, it has been so brief that I can’t really tell if I've winked or not.
ReplyDeleteSome naps are very brief!
DeleteI have never thought of forty winks in conjunction with 40 days and 40 nights, and any others 40's.
ReplyDelete😁
DeleteI have forty winks most days, although prosaically I just call it a nap. My wife often wishes to but is unable to fall asleep so thag seems to bear out the assumption that men are more regular forty-winkers than women..
ReplyDeleteI do think men generally find it easier to nap than women.
DeleteI just woke up from that short, refreshing sleep, and so every day, I get up at 4 a.m., work in the garden until 9 a.m., and after lunch I can't keep my eyes open anymore.
ReplyDeleteThat's not surprising - you've done a day's work by lunchtime. 😃
DeleteI never thought about the ubiquity of the number 40 in the Bible. That's interesting.
ReplyDeleteIt crops up in a number of places.
DeleteInteresting background on the number forty. I do take forty winks a couple of times a day.
ReplyDeleteIt's good so long as it doesn't affect your night's sleep. 😊
DeleteI love these random thoughts and facts!
ReplyDeleteThank you. 😉
DeleteMy husband, too, is a proponent and practitioner of the daily "forty winks." Me, not so much. But then I go to bed later and get up later than he does, so I guess that tracks.
ReplyDeletePerhaps men are better at relaxing properly!
DeleteI'm not a 40 winks person at all but my DH is . Interesting information.
ReplyDeleteA lot of women seem to find it difficult to nap.
DeleteI think you were correct in your last supposition (sorry, not sorry YP). As quite a few other women have noted in comments, their husbands are the ones who regularly nap. True in my house.
ReplyDeleteQuite so!
DeleteI love this sort of post. It was very interesting, informative, accurate, and thorough. More, more! As we say in the former colonies, "you done good!"
ReplyDeleteThank you. 😃
DeleteIs there a difference between a so called 'power nap' to enjoying 'forty winks' ... I must say I do occasionally enjoy forty winks or as our friend CJ would call it an 'alien abduction' LOL
ReplyDeletehttps://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2024/05/an-alien-abduction.html
All the best Jan
Waking from an alien abduction is quite disorientating.
DeleteMy husband always took naps until the last year or so. Now he never naps. I never napped but in the past few months, I've had a couple of 40 wink sessions. So what's going on here? No clue.
ReplyDeleteStrange forces at work?
DeleteVery interesting about the number 40 in the Bible. Funny how we often don't stop to think about the meaning behind some expressions.
ReplyDeleteSometimes it's just as well we don't know the origins!
DeleteI'm severely sleep-challenged so neither "40 winks" nor any other type of "nap" is part of my life. As tired as I may be, a nap would only make things worse come proper sleep time.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear that. Insomnia is debilitating.
ReplyDeleteAgree with your observation about men and napping.
ReplyDelete👍
Delete