Aspirations
This was going to be a short post, but sidetracking occurred as usual.
I started by thinking about aspiration as ambition. Do we all, did we all have aspirations? Many young children have aspirations, inspired by who or what they see on television and the foibles and fancies of their peer group. Parents hope that their offspring will eventually realise that aspiration needs to be partnered with hard work and tempered by common sense. It’s no good longing to be a pop star if you have no rhythm and cannot sing. (That’s debatable . . . )
In many countries, aspiration relates to the strong puff of air accompanying consonants like ‘k,’ ‘p,’ and ‘t.’ As an example, in English, the initial ‘p’ in ‘pan’ is aspirated, but in ‘span’ it is not. The speaker may not register the breath out, but speaking the first word ‘pan’ close to a lit candle will make the flame flicker. The second, unaspirated word ‘span’ will not. In lieu of a flame, try speaking the words close to the palm of your hand and feel the difference.
Aspiration in English does not affect the meaning of the word, but in other languages, like Hindi, Mandarin Chinese, or Thai it may distinguish completely different words.
Medical aspiration refers to the usually accidental inhalation of fluid or a foreign object into the airway and lungs. This can lead to serious respiratory illness, though commonly it results in coughing, spluttering, watering eyes, and a red face. Medical treatment should always be sought in emergency.
There is also a medical procedure involving aspiration, in which fluid is drawn out of the body with a syringe for biopsies.
Roxy had aspirations last week. She is a Labrador, getting on in years, and becoming lumpy. This is a common occurrence in this breed and usually signifies nothing of note. Nonetheless, aspirations were taken for biopsy to make sure that nothing sinister was happening. The results came back this week, and all is well. The lumps are all harmless lipomas.
A lipoma is a slow-growing, benign fatty lump. Lipomas can safely be left alone, to be removed surgically only if they are in a position that interferes with movement. However, they should be monitored regularly to track any changes.
People with lipomas may choose to have them removed for cosmetic reasons. Roxy has no such concerns.

Roxie['s results must have been a relief
ReplyDeleteWe were relieved, yes.
DeleteRoxy is elegant and unbothered despite her lumps. We could all learn from Roxy.
ReplyDeleteGlad the lumps are just the Labrador Lumps. Our Maggie had them, too. Also benign. I can't say she was elegant, however. She farted too much.
Oh, poor Maggie - better out than in, as the saying goes.
DeleteI didn't know about the term aspiration used in connection with pronunciation; now I love knowing this and will undoubtedly pester my sister with it during our long journey to Yorkshire on Monday!
ReplyDeleteI hope your journey goes smoothly. Enjoy your time in Yorkshire. 😊
ReplyDeleteThank you! I know we will :-)
Delete👍
DeleteG
ReplyDeleteAlright, I have tried saying pan without aspirating, think I did it. Glad that Roxy has benign lumps, always such a worry in humans and animals when they are found
Well done! 😄
DeleteWe were relieved that Roxy's lumps are simply that.
To say you have an inquiring mind is to put it mildly!
ReplyDelete. . . or just plain nosy!
DeleteThat is good news for Roxy, or rather you, as she cares nothing about them.
ReplyDeleteI was never ambitious but I think I did have aspirations.
It's a good thing that our animals don't worry about their conditions.
DeleteMy first thought when I read the word aspiration was the medical definition. With Roxy's picture I was hoping it wasn't bad news.
ReplyDeleteRoxy reminds me so much of a dog I had years ago
She is such a sweet dog, and incredibly greedy, like most Labradors.
DeleteRoxy looks to be a good girl too go to the vet and be poked prodded and stuck. It's nice to know that it's not a dangerous issue.
ReplyDeleteShe loves visiting the vet, because she always gets treats The prodding and poking is worth it. 😄
DeleteI aspire to be half as brainy as you.
ReplyDeleteCome on, you can aspire to more than that, surely . . .
DeleteWell, no wonder she's sitting paws crossed; nothing to worry about!
ReplyDeleteShe's a lady, poised and untroubled. 😂🤣
DeleteI hope that Roxy feels better soon.
ReplyDeleteThe different meanings of aspiration are fascinating, and I guess linked with inspiration - having an idea/being possessed. I love hearing about words, thank you.
Roxy hasn't been ill - it was just a follow-up to a routine check-up, but thank you, anyway. 😄
ReplyDeleteInformative as always, pleased that Roxy is ok
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
Thank you, Alison. 😄
DeleteI've had several limpomas. No big deal.
ReplyDeleteMany of our dogs have had them and they're never progressed to anything sinister.
ReplyDeleteLovely photograph of Roxy ... pleased to read that her lumps are benign.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Thank you, Jan. 😄
ReplyDeleteRoxy looks nicely relaxed...and dainty....not a word I'd usually use for a Lab!!
ReplyDeleteDainty is not the overriding adjective for a Labrador!
DeleteRoxy looks so nice and content. I’m glad everything worked out and is benign..
ReplyDeleteThank you, Alana.
DeleteI love this photo of Roxy.
ReplyDeleteI like it, too.
DeleteGive sweet Roxy a big hug, those cute crossed paws of hers are precious! Getting those biopsy results back with a clean bill of health must be the biggest weight off your shoulders. That clever language trick with a flickering flame is incredibly cool. It is highly entertaining how Roxy couldn't care less about her lumpy cosmetic look. She is perfect just the way she is.
ReplyDeleteWould that we could all leave vanity behind.
DeleteRoxy looks so cute sitting there with her Paws crossed. Glad that everything is great with her.
ReplyDeleteShe's a very happy dog.
DeleteCute roxy. I am not ambitious.
ReplyDeleteNor am I!
DeleteRoxy is a darling girl - I am glad her aspirations showed nothing sinister lurking. I have a ginger girl cat who sits with her front paws crossed just like that. I take endless photos of this as I find it so endearing. I look back at them when she is being a little tart-face. 😉
ReplyDeleteI don't know why it is so appealing when animals cross their paws like that, but it is so sweet.
DeleteTo me, aspirations seem quite nebulous.
ReplyDeleteThey get you nowhere . . . 😉
DeleteRoxy's pose is so graceful and elegant. Glad to hear her lumps are nothing to worry about
ReplyDeleteShe knows how to pose almost as well as she knows how to look half-starved.
DeleteAhhh...the lumpies. Yup, been there...and the aspirations as well. Think I've experienced all the varieties which you have referenced. Glad Roxy's lumps were benign.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Robin.
DeleteGood news about Roxy. I suffer aspiration too often and have learned to eat and drink slowly with very small sips in the case of drinks.
ReplyDeleteMine usually occur if I try to talk and eat at the same time - never a good idea!
DeleteGlad that Roxy is OK and that the lumps are benign. She is such a sweet girl.
ReplyDeleteShe's funny and fun.
DeleteRoxy’s pose is adorable. So glad she is doing well. Thank you for a very interesting read, enjoyed very much.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Denise. 😊
ReplyDeleteAgain, you share such interesting information!
ReplyDeleteI am glad Roxy is okay. We have had several Labs and they all developed these lumps. Two of ours ended up with cancer, sadly, but both lived to be over 15 years old, so they had long lives for Labs.
Beautiful Roxie
ReplyDelete