Wednesday, 15 July 2026

Silver-washed fritillary

 

Silver-washed fritillary (Argynnis paphia)



This large butterfly flew into the sitting room on Monday morning, completed a couple of circuits and then fluttered out again. It then flew about as if looking for somewhere to perch and I wondered if it was looking for a place to lay its eggs.

The Silver-washed fritillary was named because of the silver streaks on the underside of its wings and is on the wing from late June to early August. It can be seen on heaths, moors, meadows, gardens, and in broad-leaved woods, particularly oak woods. It breeds in shady woodland in the south of England. 

 It is widespread in southern England and Wales and is seen more locally in northern England and Ireland. Though its population declined in the twentieth century it is not classed as endangered and is ‘of least concern.’ Numbers have increased during the first years of the twenty-first century.



39 comments:

  1. What a beautiful butterfly. I can't stop looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful creature! Maybe it stopped by to sprinkle good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a nice thought . . . 😊

      Delete
  3. Nice! I've never seen one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have, either, and yet they're reputed to be widespread and common in southern England.

      Delete
  4. We have several fritillaries in our area. The largest one is called a Great Spangled fritillary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks a beautiful butterfly. I didn't know they were called brush-footed butterflies. How lovely.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I thought so, too, not flashy, just pretty.

      Delete
  6. I’ve been seeing some of these, thanks for putting a name to it. Seems to be a good year for butterflies
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing butterflies - flying flowers.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful butterfly. I don't think I've ever seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son in law is an entomolygist and has an amazing collection and keeps data on these , He has a museum dedicated to him and his collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic. I'm sure he has seen some changes in butterfly and other insect distribution and numbers over the years.

      Delete
  9. That is a beautiful butterfly.

    Our local council once again planted out wild flower meadows (well in some places they were patches) but I do think it's made a difference to pollinators, butterflies, insects etc.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful butterfly. You got a nice picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think we have tgat one over here, but all the Fritillaries are beautiful. I especially like the name of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me realize how few butterflies I've seen this summer. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're having a whole range of butterflies visiting our newly planted garden but I don't think I've seen a silver washed fritillary before! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly the butterflies are showing their appreciation of your garden. πŸ˜„πŸŒΈπŸͺ·πŸŒΉπŸŒΊπŸŒ»πŸͺ»

      Delete
  14. I am sure you felt a great sense of honour to have this special guest in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm always delighted to see Nature, though butterflies fare better out of doors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're seeing very few butterflies this year. I think the long cold wet spring might have affected reproduction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain at the wrong time is never helpful.

      Delete
  17. Not flamboyant, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.