Burping
Elsie from River, wondered whether other animals can burp.
Most mammals are able to burp. Dogs burp more often than cats because they tend to gulp their food, swallowing air in the process, whereas cats eat more slowly and carefully. Animals whose stomachs have more than one chamber, like sheep, camels, and other ruminants, belch frequently to rid their bodies of the methane gas produced from the fermentation of food in their digestive systems.
Cows are renowned for the methane they emit. This is due to the corn and soy they are fed, which they cannot process efficiently. Some farmers alleviate that by feeding alfalfa and flaxseed which are similar to the grasses cows would have eaten before they were domesticated.
Our fellow primates, the chimpanzees, orangutans, and so forth, also belch, just like us. Gorillas produce great rumbling burps, which indicate gratification when they are eating delectable food.
Some marine mammals, like orcas and sea lions, also belch.
Among reptiles, crocodiles and alligators take in a lot of air with their prey, releasing it later in foul-smelling emissions. Similarly, large carnivorous lizards, like Komodo Dragons, will often burp after swallowing a whole egg or something similar.
There are some mammals which are physiologically incapable of belching or vomiting. Rodents, including mice, rats, squirrels and beavers are unable to burp. Sloths, rabbits, and horses also cannot burp or vomit. The gas that these animals produce is released as flatulence.
Burping and belching are two names for the same thing. The technical term is eructation.
One of the two main causes of burping is swallowing air while eating or drinking. Some of that cannot be easily avoided, but it can be reduced by eating (or drinking) more slowly. Talking while eating and drinking through a straw will increase air intake. Chewing gum, smoking and loose dentures also add to the problem.
The second major culprit is the type of food or drink ingested. Carbonated drinks contain dissolved carbon dioxide that bubble in the stomach. These drinks include beer, and sparkling water, and what my nieces and nephew used to call ‘pop.’
High-fibre foods like pulses, onions, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts release gas as they are digested.
Some unfortunate people are unable to belch. This disorder is called abelchia – lovely name! – and was first identified in 1987. It causes great distress, with symptoms like bloating, flatulence, and chest discomfort. It is treated with Botulinum toxin (Botox) which relaxes the muscle inhibiting belching. One injection usually solves the problem permanently.
Burping in company may or may not be acceptable, depending on the circumstances and the culture. In Japan burping while eating is poor etiquette, while China and some middle eastern countries see it as complimentary to the chef. In the majority of Western societies, it is considered crude to belch in public. Sometimes it is unavoidable, and then most people quietly apologise.
Of course, babies are encouraged to burp, and that is always acceptable and usually greeted with relief by parents and carers.

This will be a perfect post to share with some youngsters who are infatuated with all types of body noises :-)
ReplyDeleteIsn't that a lovely phase? Unfortunately, some people never grow out of it. 😉😕
DeleteI never knew that some people are unable to burp. How unfortunate for them. Burping can be such a relief after a big meal. Of course, one does try to do it discreetly!
ReplyDeleteI don't think people mind if it's discreet. Those who take delight in belching loudly are not popular.
DeleteGosh... I don't tend to burp. I must not be swallowing air or eating too slowly. Or maybe I'm not paying attention. I will now though.
ReplyDeleteI shall be fascinated to find out if you do or don't burp, Kay.😊
DeleteI'm one of those who can't burp, yes, it's very uncomfortable at times but I've never sought any treatment for it. I didn't actually know it was a thing.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it must be uncomfortable. Do you avoid certain foods or have a different approach to eating? (Very personal - sorry!)
DeleteNo, I just suffer it. I had bowel cancer back in 2000 and had part of my bowel removed so between that and the not being able to burp, I get all sorts of discomfort.
DeleteI'm sorry to hear that.
DeleteA friend of my daughter's had bowel cancer about 25 or 30 years ago and had a large part of her bowel removed.I wonder if she suffers, too. (I shan't ask her!)
I wonder who gathered all this information on the burping of animals and humans? I mean in real time ;)
ReplyDeleteI guess there are researchers and experts in the field, as there are with so many aspects of life, Thelma. I just hoover up the information and regurgitate it. 😷🤢
DeleteI don’t think I burp too much but there is another way of passing gas that is getting more prominent in my dotage.
ReplyDeleteWhichever way it goes, it's better out than in. 😉
DeleteI tell people I neither burp nor fart because I was raised that way.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm sticking to that story!
Well done to your elders. They should publish their advice!
DeleteI of course had heard the words burping and belching but never knew there was a third word to describe the same thing.
ReplyDeleteI know quite a few people who have been quite amused by their own burping.
It so often doesn't amuse others, though.
DeleteInteresting
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteFun facts!
ReplyDeleteJust the topic for a genteel tea party!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love how you explain things. So clear and to the point. Thank you for all of that information.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Nicole. I take that as a compliment. 😊
DeleteElsie’s question certainly opened the door to a surprisingly expansive world of burps, from dogs and cows to gorillas and even orcas
ReplyDeleteWho could have guessed?
DeleteI never even thought about a lot of this, for example, I didn't know that rodents couldn't burp and that marine mammals could. To us mammals, it is so natural.
ReplyDeleteBut some humans cannot burp and that can be a big problem for them.
DeleteInteresting!
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteWhat a fascinating read! I had no idea - nor had I ever really considered - that some animals, like horses and rabbits, can't burp at all, or that gorillas burp to show they're enjoying their food. I learnt something new today!
ReplyDeleteIt's something we all take for granted, like breathing, and never think about.
DeleteA very interesting read.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how we all smile and almost say well done when babies burp but as we grow older it's frowned upon.
Happy Sunday ... my Saturday whizzed by in a flash!
All the best Jan
It's often such a relief when babies burp, especially to them. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Jan.
DeleteThanks for sharing the burp blog post.I feel sorry for those who are unable to belch, burp or otherwise. It must make life very uncomfortable for them.
ReplyDeleteIt does, and I've just discovered that one of my grandsons suffers from this.
ReplyDeleteThank you as I always enjoy learning things new to me and this post about burping certainly did add to your knowledge!
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteI can expel gas with gusto from more than one orifice in my body, but I try very hard and am mostly successful in keeping it under control!
ReplyDeleteWell done - keep trying!
Delete