Feasting
I do not usually fall victim to insect bites, but this summer seems to have made me more susceptible. Something small and insistent has been feasting on my arm. I have not seen it, but it has set up an almost irresistible itching.
When an insect bites, its saliva enters the skin. The saliva contains anti-coagulants to make it easier for the insect to feed on blood. The body recognises invasive allergens and releases histamine, which allows more white blood cells to come to the area to flush out the insect’s saliva. The increased fluid causes the swelling and redness and sends distress messages to the brain.
Although scratching provides immediate relief, it activates the release of more histamine, causing even more frantic itching.
E45 Itch Relief Cream gave some slight relief, but in desperation I tried ‘bite away®’ which is described as a ‘chemical-free heat pen.’ Its purpose is to neutralise the venom by applying heat to the affected area and stop itching. Three seconds of 51º heat for children aged three or older or those with sensitive skin activates a response in the body which helps to reduce the release of histamine, stopping itching and swelling.
I quote from the information: ‘It was demonstrated in a clinical study with mosquitoes that bite away® can provide long-lasting relief from itching in as little as one minute.’
I cannot say it has had a significant impact on my bites. The swellings are impressive! If that's all I ever have to contend with, I shall not complain (much!)
I think a cold compress will be the next thing to try.


I've not heard of those two contraptions for mosquito bites. I just looked on Amazon and there's a lot of different types. Gosh, who knew? I sure didn't and to think when I get one I just suffer through the itch.
ReplyDeleteFortunately we don't get too many mosquitoes here as my county has been spraying this summer due to the particular mosquito that causes west Nile were found. No humans or animals/birds have been affected.
Mosquitoes Can drive us nuts. I don't use anything to discourage them or treat the bite. Only recently mosquitoes have bothered me.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes get bitten by mosquitoes, though they don't seem to like me as much as some others. And that's just fine with me!
ReplyDeleteI know that relentless itch all too well. Scratching feels good for a second but makes things worse. I’ve tried vinegar dabs before--smelly but calming.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed the cold compress works better for you!
Cool alcohol wipe might help. Calamine lotion; tan, clear or spray helps me. I went out early to water the garden, and later was itching like crazy. Whatever bit me was tinier than chiggers. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteAnthisan works well.
ReplyDeleteI scratch and then straight away apply and antiseptic such as Dettol, which stings until it dries, takes a few seconds, but no more itching and no infection from scratching.
ReplyDeleteThose thermo sticks usually work well; they‘ve been around for years, and a childminder I know does not leave the house with it when she takes her young charges out in the summer. My husband has one, too, and uses it to good effect. I have not tried it myself but this summer has seen a less than average number of mozzies - probably because it‘s been too dry in many of their usual breeding places.
ReplyDeleteWhat you describe (small, never seen, extremely itchy) sounds like what in German is called Griebelmücke. A tiny black insect, but boy can it bite!
I use a cream called Anthisan, I carry it everywhere, the bug numbers are huge, I am covered after having a picnic on the school fields on Wednesday.
ReplyDeleteLike 'New World' I use Anthisan. Aloe Vera gel, kept in the fridge is very soothing and I keep an Afterbite pen in the car, which I think just has a bicarb solution in it. That's easy to use if you are out and about and get targeted.
ReplyDeleteAh, those ubiquitous clinical trials proving? My mother used to swear by something called 'Stop Itch'. I've found a powder called Prickly Heat Powder excellent for bites and rashes. It's like a coarse talcum powder. Sprinkle and lightly rub it in a bit.
ReplyDeleteNoseeums. I have no idea what they are because I've never seen em but crikey do their bites itch. One usually hears mozzies but noseeums are usually nohearems as well.
ReplyDeleteThere are various brands on anti-itch cream on the market. I have never found any of them especially effective.
ReplyDeleteI've not heard of that bite away. I remember back in the day using calamine lotion. We would be covered in the stuff with all the bites we would get
ReplyDeleteSomehow ice sounds more soothing than heat for treating itching - but I've never even heard of those pens, so not speaking from actual experience...
ReplyDeleteScratching a bite is not good but it feels so good. I usually apply bug spray even after the bite and it helps with the need to scratch!
ReplyDeleteLike others above I find Anthisan the best. But needs reapplying fairly frequently.
ReplyDeleteI’ve heard that Avon Skin So Soft is a great preventative, but have not tested it out.
Alison in Devon x
Up until northern Ontario in the Boreal Forest, there is a biter that they call noseeums. The name fits.
ReplyDeleteDarn, I was hoping you had found effective relief, and I could jump on Amazon and buy it. The mosquitos found the Young One particularly delicious. Like you, the welts are most impressive.
ReplyDeleteThank you, everyone. Plenty there to try. I even had a suggestion by email from someone and I thought that was so kind.
ReplyDeleteI'd forgotten about aloe vera and have large plants of them.
Anything little thing that bites is something to be sprayed, squashed or swatted!! Fortunately I'm not often the one bitten but I still don't like the buzzing. Why do they like ears so much?
ReplyDeleteThey haven't been too bad this year. The wasps are worst
It's not really wasp season here yet - they wait for the plums.
Deleteharvest mites
ReplyDeleteCould be.
DeleteOhhh that doesn't sound good at all. I was going to ask if it is a noseeum too. Good luck, I hope you find some relief.
ReplyDeleteI've experienced the urge to apply heat (and/or cold) to itchy spots, so it's interesting that there's now a device that does so! I had terrible problems with itchy arms last summer, which I attributed to a biting garden insect called an Insidious Flower Bug. But I think it may actually have had more to do with sun exposure. This summer, with better application of sunscreen, I have so far avoided it. (The summer's not over, though!)
ReplyDeleteI remember you suffering last year. Obviously they've changed their habits - usually it's my husband who is targeted, not me. C'est la vie!
DeleteI've not found anything, short of spraying insect repellent on me, something I hate doing because of the chemicals in it, plus the odor. Once I'm bitten, I've sometimes have had to take an antihistamine. I've never heard of harvest mites and hope I never will.
ReplyDeleteInsect repellent is . . . repellent, but if it does the job, it's worth it. I. can't stand the smell, so it's a choice really.
DeleteBites are not fun!!!
ReplyDeleteI usually find Anthisan works well.
Do hope you get some relief soon.
All the best Jan
Some is winging its way to me now! Fingers crossed.
DeleteFingers crossed for you.
DeleteAll the best Jan
Those little biters seem to like me a lot too. I have not heard of those products before to help with the itch. A few days of antihistamine usualy keeps things under control for me fortunately. But then there is always that one bite. 😒
ReplyDeleteResisting the urge to scratch is difficult.
DeleteThe thermal pen is a new concept to me. Fortunately, I don''t have many mosquitos in Nod as there is almost always a breeze (more likely, a gale-force wind) blowing. The lake is a different matter however...but have not been there much the past many years so the memories fade. I have found a paste of baking soda/water to be effective...and, in a pinch, a smear of toothpaste.
ReplyDeleteToothpaste would be nice - minty fresh 😁
Deletetry a dab of ammonia. that is what we use, and also what the lifeguards put on stings from creatures in the sea.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sandra - good tip.
DeleteI've found essential oil of lavender to be a real help. It's the only essential oil that should be used neat on the skin, and I've found that it deters insects and also soothes insect bites.
ReplyDeleteMy grandparents' large garden had previously housed hens and geese, there was a river at the bottom, and a field full of cows on the other side of the garden, so we all got mightily bitten and my brother had to go to the doctor at one point as he was effectively poisoned by gnat bites as he had so many! The discovery of the benefits of lavender oil made a big difference.
That's another good tip. I know we have to be careful with essential oils, but that sounds wonderful. Your poor brother, though - how frightening that must have been.
ReplyDelete