Friday, 24 July 2026

Feasting

 

Feasting

I do not usually fall victim to insect bites, but this summer seems to have made me more susceptible. Something small and insistent has been feasting on my arm. I have not seen it, but it has set up an almost irresistible itching.

When an insect bites, its saliva enters the skin. The saliva contains anti-coagulants to make it easier for the insect to feed on blood. The body recognises invasive allergens and releases histamine, which allows more white blood cells to come to the area to flush out the insect’s saliva. The increased fluid causes the swelling and redness and sends distress messages to the brain.

 Although scratching provides immediate relief, it activates the release of more histamine, causing even more frantic itching.



E45 Itch Relief Cream gave some slight relief, but in desperation I tried ‘bite away®’ which is described as a ‘chemical-free heat pen.’ Its purpose is to neutralise the venom by applying heat to the affected area and stop itching. Three seconds of 51º heat for children aged three or older or those with sensitive skin activates a response in the body which helps to reduce the release of histamine, stopping itching and swelling.

I quote from the information: ‘It was demonstrated in a clinical study with mosquitoes that bite away® can provide long-lasting relief from itching in as little as one minute.’



I cannot say it has had a significant impact on my bites. The swellings are impressive! If that's all I ever have to contend with, I shall not complain (much!)

I think a cold compress will be the next thing to try.

1 comment:

  1. I've not heard of those two contraptions for mosquito bites. I just looked on Amazon and there's a lot of different types. Gosh, who knew? I sure didn't and to think when I get one I just suffer through the itch.

    Fortunately we don't get too many mosquitoes here as my county has been spraying this summer due to the particular mosquito that causes west Nile were found. No humans or animals/birds have been affected.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.