Earlier and earlier
That makes me feel like a child again, lying in bed listening to the birds, while other people are still up and about. It makes a pleasant change, though the day seems curiously truncated, with 3:00 pm feeling as though it’s five hours later.
This morning, we were up – I was going to say ‘bright and early’, but it transpired that some of us weren’t as awake or aware as others. Barry disappeared downstairs to make coffee and then reappeared a short while later. He had put his trousers on over his pyjamas. It wouldn’t have mattered, really, as they were pyjama shorts, and no-one would have known. He just felt he didn’t actually need the extra layer.
In other world-startling news, my elderly ‘for the time being’ laptop which was pressed into service has been replaced by my newly repaired computer, the one with the pretty LED lights.
As it is now effectively a new machine, everything has had to be reinstalled. The hunt for passwords and other verifications has been long and trying. Tempers have occasionally been shorter than they should have been, but now, all is well. We just had a brief hiccough with the bank, which initially refused to recognise the new/old/new machine, but that has been resolved, too.
Just one or two things still to deal with . . . shouldn’t take long . . . oh, those weasel words!

But the dogs don't notice any changes in time. They're ready to go at any time.
ReplyDeleteThat's true, but the heat isn't good for them, since they can only sweat through their pads.
DeleteDealing with new (old) technology is quite the pain.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is.
DeleteI always think bright and early means the day's bright and I'm early, but not bright.
ReplyDeleteI've never thought of it that way.
DeleteI've finally relented and allowed Google passwords to manage less important passwords for me. It must be nice to have a 'feels like new' machine.
ReplyDeleteIt's much faster now, and not 'thrashing' as it was.
DeleteThe bank refused to recognise the machine? I have never had that happen, the information and passwords are the same, so there shouldn't be any problem. I am happy that your computer is repaired and functioning again. I rarely do "bright and early"these days.
ReplyDeleteIf the bank doesn't recognise a new device, it requires verification. Thereafter, it will be recognised. It happens every time.
DeleteThis is my third laptop since I set up internet banking and never had to change or reset anything.
DeleteAlthough it's irritating to have to go through the verification process, I'm pleased it's in place. It's not likely that a stranger would access my computer, but not everyone has that reassurance.
DeleteAh, technology. How i hate it, but love it too.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had your resolve about getting to bed early so I could get up earlier, but I just can't seem to manage it. It makes so much sense!
It took us a while to recognise the wisdom of it. Otherwise we felt like zombies all day.
DeleteThe beginning of this post reminded me of a poem I used to love when I was a child.
ReplyDeleteBed in Summer by Robert Louis Stevenson
In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.
I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people’s feet
Still going past me in the street.
And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?
I get up earlier in summer though I don't go to bed any earlier - probably why I'm tired all the time!
I had forgotten that poem - thank you. ๐
DeleteHere, it is impossible NOT to wake up early, with noisy neighbours, birds more shouting than singing in the tree right next to my wide open bedroom window, and daylight coming in - the fresh night air is too precious to stop it from coming in by having the blinds down, and I have no curtains.
ReplyDeleteThe joys of a new computer... or other device! It usually gets all sorted eventually, but it can be a rocky path until you get there.
We have no noisy neighbours, fortunately, but the bird are quite loud!
DeleteNew computers are great once they've passed all the tricky bits . . .
Nothing like tech for raising my internal temperature!
ReplyDeleteLOL!
DeleteI despair with all the passwords, memorable words ect.........
ReplyDeleteWe don't use the same passwords for everything, for security reasons, but it is a pain tracking them down, especially when they have gone out of date for some reason.
DeleteYou have to define what you mean as “early.” I get up at 5:00 am. I don’t consider it “early” or “late.” It is simply my routine. I go to bed around 9:30 pm, read for about a half hour, go to sleep and get up at 5:00 am the next morning. Have done this for the better part of my life.
ReplyDeleteThat way you enjoy the dawn chorus!
DeleteWorking all those years in the bakery taught me to be an early riser so I've gone to bed while it was still light out plenty of times.
ReplyDeleteI keep a book with all my passwords in it. Every now and then I discover that I forgot to enter one.
I forget to update passwords sometimes, and it turns out that they're always the ones I need!
DeleteI woke up early this morning, early enough to hear the pre dawn chorus of the American robins, followed by a Northern cardinal singing. I remember having to wake up early to exercise walk when I lived in the southern part of the United States. I also have to get up early on days I work. You'll be back to your normal routine before you know it.
ReplyDeleteBecause we don't go out to work, we drift into bad habits, instead of being sensible, and go to bed ridiculously late sometimes. We suffer for it the next day, though!
DeleteTechnology. Does it really make life easier? Some days I dread it. The heat this year has been phenomenal. Now that ours has arrived, it is here to stay for the next 2 months.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes wonder. Life was simpler and slower before we all had whizz-bang devices.
DeleteIf only computers were like apple cell phones. You get a new one, put it beside the old one, and presto! it updates.
ReplyDeleteWouldn't that be wonderful?
DeleteWe get up about 6:30 AM but this past week it's already steaming by then. Perhaps we should go to bed at 4PM and get up at midnight???
ReplyDeleteIt almost reaches the stage where you're getting up before you've gone to bed. ๐
DeleteI am such a techno dinosaur and rely on my techno wizard family members for their help and support in such things!!!
ReplyDeleteIt was lovely and cool around five this morning :)
Certainly will not be around five this afternoon (:
I will be tuning in to watch Wimbledon shortly ... come on Arthur.
All the best Jan
I hope the young man does well, or should I say, continues to do well.
ReplyDeleteI have a password book, with many thousands of jottings, it will drive the person who has to decipher it after my death mad, completely insane. But I do with much less important passwords let my computer save them. What truly annoys me is the 'passkey' message that jumps up as I enter my computer each day.
ReplyDeleteI have a book of passwords, too, but unfortunately I don't always update them, though I intend to. I don't envy my family trying to make sense of it all, either.
ReplyDeleteDuring these hot spells, I have enjoyed several walks in the quiet cool of the night as dawn begins to colour in our eastern skies as if painted by an expert.
ReplyDeleteAh, the poet in you comes forth.
DeleteThe poet in me came forth
DeleteSo naturally I headed north
North, south, east, west,
DeleteAlways fun to have a jest.
I have a little alpha book for my passwords. My elderling brain can't remember all of the different ones! Hallmark stores and only have little booklets to do that. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteWriting helps memory, too.
DeleteI have a notebook with all my passwords in it. I bought a new laptop the beginning of this year and had a time getting everything on it.
ReplyDeleteIt's such a relief when everything is back as it should be.
DeleteLike others here, I have a book of passwords. And, In fact, I find that the mere act of writing them in the book helps me to remember them. As for "early to bed, early to rise," I don't have dogs to walk and seem to be more of the "late to bed, late to rise" school these days. The cats don't mind as long as their food bowls are full.
ReplyDeleteOur cats demand their food - it's never left out for them, as the dogs would pinch it!
DeleteTechnology doesn't always make life easier, does it?
ReplyDeleteNo, it doesn't.
DeleteIt would need be above 1000ยบ hot before I got out of bed early to catch the coolness of the morning. ;-) (And great protection by your bank. That doesn't happen here - perhaps because I use a regular credit card vs. a credit card from my bank.
ReplyDeleteOur security practices seem to be quite good ๐คand potential scams are quickly identified and followed up.
DeleteI am playing catch up on your posts (again) Janice - I have been reading of the high temps you have had over there, so I can well imagine you taking the dogs out earlier. Yes passwords etc are enough to send us around the wowzer!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's tempting to use the same password for everything, but that would really be tempting fate!
DeleteMy son-in-law put in a Bitwarden password thing on my computer where I could store my passwords. I worry though that something could happen and they would disappear so I write them in a little password hard copy book anyway.
ReplyDeleteI like hard copies, too.
DeleteKeeping track of all one's passwords and PIN codes has become a jungle. I write mine down on paper too but still seem to get in trouble with verification every now and then.
ReplyDeleteTrying to remember to write down the changes is my downfall.
DeleteI feel you...I have been falling asleep early because I get up at 4 am....and can't fall back to sleep...
ReplyDeleteIt's so annoying when you wake too early and can't go back to sleep.
Deletewhen I say It shouldn't take long, I follow with the words, ha ha famous last words... glad it is repaired. dealing with tech stuff is taking me longer and longer with every year I live.
ReplyDeleteThe dogs are so sweet and happy, sending them hugs and love..
Always start with the assumption that it will take longer than you expect! ๐
DeleteGorgeous pic of Gilbert. He is such a hamdsome dog.
ReplyDeleteThank you. He is a fine boy.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I was really tired, I really enjoyed getting up early on Saturday and Sunday! I felt really positive having breakfast before swimming and then church on Sunday! Gilbert is a cutie!
ReplyDeleteIt's sometimes a struggle to get out of bed, but so worth the effort when you know the day is going to get hotter.
ReplyDelete