Thursday, 9 July 2026

More pretty vegetables

 

More pretty vegetables


Sweetstem cauliflower is sometimes marketed as Caulilini cauliflower.

The commonest variety is green and white, but there are other varieties which are purple, lime-green, or orange. The purple colour is natural and comes from anthocyanins, the antioxidants which also occur in blueberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, and red cabbage, among others.

Eaten raw or lightly steamed, it is a delicious addition to any meal.

54 comments:

  1. I learn something new every tome I visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What will they engineer next😱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, they're completely natural. The colours come from 'naturally occurring plant pigments and antioxidants.'

      Delete
  3. New to me too, don't think they've got into Aldi yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fan of cauliflower, they do look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour doesn't disappear with cooking, either. I've grown to like cauliflower, particularly raw.

      Delete
  5. It was so good of you to broaden my culinary horizons Janice. Thank you and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not exactly a fan of cauliflower but would be willing to give the purple one a try. I've seen the purple one before but I had no idea there was an orange variety as well! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make 'eating a rainbow' much easier, though I suppose it would be cheating . . .

      Delete
  7. Another one I've never seen before. And here I though cauliflower only came in white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect there's a huge demand for them, but we'll see.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful vegetables.. very photogenic and very tasty. Enjoy looking before they're long gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. A feast for the eyes. 😊

      Delete
  9. I'm not a big fan of cauliflower, and I'm not sure the colour purple helps... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. New to me too
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen them before this year, not that I've been looking, of course.

      Delete
  11. It also makes for a pretty presentation. And we do eat with our eyes first!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen that cauliflower at the Asian market, but it's always a little pricy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's main market, really, though it may become so in years to come.

      Delete
  13. Something new. I'll stick to the traditional. But that's all I'll find anyway

    ReplyDelete
  14. how pretty. Must look lovely . We do enjoy all kinds of cauliflower

    ReplyDelete
  15. The purple is a very pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too, and it remains after cooking, too.

      Delete
  16. Yum cauliflower! Those are lovely but the "picture" wouldn't last long at our house. We'd be munching on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I prefer cauliflower raw to cooked, but I'll take either.

      Delete
  17. I've not heard of this type of broccoli. Perhaps it's not commonly grown in my part of the United States? We do have traditional cauliflower and farm stands sell the colors you mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever seen the standard cauliflower before this year.

      Delete
  18. I've never seen that variety. Maybe if we found the purple cauliflower, Himself might eat it as it's his favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are so deprived here...one type of cabbage, one type of broccoli, one type of cauliflower. Such is life in Nod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't know how privileged we are πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  20. I love cauliflower but haven't noticed any purple ones in the shops yet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do enjoy vegetables and do my best to eat the colours of the rainbow.
    I enjoyed carrot, courgette and mangetout with a lovely fillet of salmon yesterday and I do like the look of the sweet-stem cauliflower ... will keep an eye out for some :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope you find some. It's nice to try different vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty. Our neighbor sells at farmer's markets. Their farm theme this year was purple - I had no idea how many veggies come in purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a surprise to realise how many there are.

      Delete
  24. Fun veg - love different things ... cheers for these - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh, the lilac one is really pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.