Wednesday, 8 July 2026

The roof

 

The roof




We are delighted and relieved in equal measure with the work that has been completed on our roof. It was in a truly dreadful state. It looked fine on the surface, from ground floor looking up, but a cursory inspection soon showed that all was not well. A closer look revealed the dreadful truth.


It’s hard to believe that a week ago we had no inkling of what was about to be undertaken. Now, many £££ later, we are advising all and sundry to make sure they have a roof inspection at regular intervals. We have never been advised to do so, and it would seem a sensible thing to insist upon under house insurance renewal guidelines.



Looking online, I see that the advice is to have a house roof that is older than 25 years professionally inspected annually. Ours was 75 years in parts, and 50 on later extensions. Roofs on houses newer than 10 years can usually be left for three to five years. Obviously, if there appears to be a problem, it’s wise to seek advice.






At one point there were ten men scurrying around at dizzying heights. The weather was favourable for the work, in that it was dry, but it was very warm.


We shall be writing a glowing review for the company that carried out the work. We were shown videos and photographs of conditions and progress at all stages and given information and technical terms that we shall never need again – valleys, drip trays, and bird guards being just three.

In addition, when the scaffolders were erecting the scaffolding on Monday, they braced hard against our neighbour’s wall. She happened to be in her lift and the whole thing juddered. She was momentarily frightened and worried that the lift would malfunction and she would be stuck. Our builder apologised to her and cleaned the moss off her roof and did one or two other little jobs for her, free of charge.

Everything was executed efficiently and the whole area tidied up on completion of the work. We cannot fault them.

Now, when the rains come and the winds howl, we shall shelter inside our weatherproof house, poor but dry.

70 comments:

  1. Why on earth did you repeat this paragraph Janice: "At one point there were ten men scurrying around at dizzying heights. The weather was favourable for the work, in that it was dry, but it was very warm."?

    Must have been a mental aberration caused by the siphoning of money to your roofers. "Thank you very much Janice! More spending money for our forthcoming jolly in Las Vegas!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap! We're being re-roofed in August. There's never been a new roof here and the house was built in the 1930s. It was scheduled for June, but I had to postpone it as we found a tree bumblebee nest just under the eaves. This followed the pattern described and I'm pleased to see that the bees have now gone. Not so pleased though about the incoming cost!!! At least we'll be nice & cosy for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! You will be relieved once it's finished, I'm sure. The noise is something worth escaping, if you can. We didn't, sadly.

      Delete
  3. Excellent advice to have roofs checked regularly and a vey satisfying outcome with even the neighbour getting a bit of a clean up done. It looks lovely now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand why insurers don't insist on regular inspections. Hundreds now and then to save thousands later . . .

      Delete
  4. Our bungalow is old, the roof is original, the back was redone when our dorma bedroom was created, before our time. The front can be checked we have a door in our bedroom wall into a small storage space, so far all looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks an amazing transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had our roof replaced last year at great expense. Our house was built in 1910 and if it wasn't the original roof it would have been close to it! They did a good job though considering the had to remove a lot of solar panels and work around an air conditioner. Hopefully it will outlive us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a tricky job. It's a nice feeling to have had it done, though, I'm sure.

      Delete
  7. All very interesting. I can't imagine your new roof would need an annual inspection. It is great to have tradespeople who really know what they are doing, and clearly who you hired do know. I wonder if your neighbour has a stairway lift chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbour had a proper elevator fitted in her study, as she can't manage stairs now. It was that, or move. I don't know why she didn't have a stair lift.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you got that done just in time. Glad you had such good workmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It was in a dangerous condition. I hope your building works continue without problems.

      Delete
  9. Wow, that roof underneath was indeed in a terrible state. Your photos are excellent, showing bad to good. What a view from up there.
    And what an excellent company. That;s the way to get more business. Both you and your neighbour will be reccomending them I'm sure. Free advertising

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so. A roof is quite noticeable . . . Personal recommendation is the best way to drum up new business.

      Delete
  10. Your new roof looks fantastic and will give you peace of mind. It’s very satisfying to find a contractor who pleases you and I am glad that all went well. I would bet that not one in a hundred homeowners has regular roof inspections. Or any other regular inspections for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For one of the most expensive purchases most people make you would think that regular inspections of the material of a house would be recommended, even insisted upon by insurers, but no!

      Delete
  11. That was a big job but the new roof looks fantastic. They sound like an excellent company. How nice of them to do the jobs for your neighbor free of charge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was quite a job. I guess you don't have a way to see up under the roof from inside? Anyway you're all set for quite a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful new roof you have. I've always admired tiled roofs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most houses in UK have tiled roofs, unless they're olde worlde thatched cottages.

      Delete
  14. What caused the destruction of the roof - excessive heat, excessive rain, winter freeze, trees depositing leaves and branches? Did the workers sort out the problem so that you can survive another 25 years without problems.
    I know we have at least one hole in the roof because rain pours onto the kitchen table :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you haven't had the roof examined and repaired? I would think rain on the table would make roofing priority #1.

      Delete
    2. Wear and tear destroys the fabric of a house eventually.

      Delete
  15. Must be a relief to have it over and done with! Living in a rented flat myself I don't need to worry about that kind of thing. (I only co-owned a house for a few years with my brother, after our parents died... There were some things to sort out and fix before we sold it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a sense of relief that you don't have to worry about maintenance. It's someone else's problem. 😊

      Delete
  16. I think I take our roof for granted, it’s probably due an inspection
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not something one thinks about daily, is it? It's just there and we don't notice it until something goes amiss.

      Delete
  17. Ah, the joys of homeownership, and all the specialized vocabulary you learn for various projects. A bit poorer, but far richer with a new roof overhead to keep you and the kitties safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always richer with the four leggers . . . 🐈🐈‍⬛🦮🐕‍🦺

      Delete
  18. I love the new roof tiles! I think we are due for a new roof here in the next year ... not looking for ward to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You folks in jolly England have interesting raised slats on your roof, with the roofing paper between them. I see it's good for attaching the tiles. Being poor and dry is better than being rich and wet. My apartment tried to do a roof with its own employees; still had leaks. Finally got some real roofers two year later who did it correctly, oh yea, with roofing papers first.... Your heating and cooling costs might be lower now too. Linda in Kansas with mostly very flat roofs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flat roofs are a pain to maintain. I'm glad yours is now secure.

      Delete
  20. We had ridge tiles blown askew at Easter and our roof was only 20 years old, so had the issues of finding a roofing contractor to sort it. To cut a long story short, eventually after 5 weeks got it repaired, the roofers did a couple of other jobs on the porch roof at the same time, so hopefully we are going to be OK for a while now. Because it is a newer house, there is no way to see the underside of the roof from the loft, as it is all covered by insulation so keeping our fingers crossed over to state of it ongoing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your roof is now secure. When national weather events result in widespread damage, the demand for building experts rises exponentially and is difficult to answer.

      Delete
  21. How reassuring to have this accomplished! The pictures make me dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a job. Ours is getting re-shingle tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We got our roof done last year. Cost a fortune. Sigh. They came and got it done quickly and messed up our gutters in the process. We ended up having to get them redone as well - though we got someone different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not good. Most annoying and expensive.

      Delete
  24. Your new roof looks fantastic.
    A great job very well done.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Our daughters bought us a drone to use in checking the roof after the ice melts, yearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flying a drone is fun. I've noticed many wedding photographers using them now.

      Delete
  26. Goodness! 75 years??! Unheard of here! The "average" lifespan of a roof in these parts is 15-20 years. Of course, that's for the most common, "asphalt shingle" type roof. (I'd much prefer the tile used there - longevity wise and style wise - yours is looking lovely.) I'm glad you'll be snug and dry inside from now on. A leaky roof is so aggravating. (Don't ask me how I know.) I trust that was not you up on the roof doing the photographing??

    ReplyDelete
  27. The asphalt shingles that are common in my area only last for 15-20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  28. They sound like stunning builders and the job looks truly professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good - quick, efficient, polite.

      Delete
  29. I am impressed by the workmen's ethics! They clearly did an excellent job which will be well worth the money you paid for.
    As far as I am aware, the roof on this house (where I only own the middle flat, not the entire house) is still the original from when the house was built in 1953. We've had no leaks yet but it is probably just a matter of time, and an inspection wouldn't hurt... I need to ask the two brothers who own the other flats, as I am not prepared to pay for it all on my own (and shouldn't decide on something like that without them, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes, it probably would be advisable. Naturally, I'm all for regular inspections now and am boring all and sundry with my enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We had our roof done a couple of years ago, but thankfully, being a flat roof, it wasn't as big or expensive a project as yours!
    I'm glad to read that all went well! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flat roofs are a pain. I hope yours is weatherproof now.

      Delete
  32. We replaced our roof several years ago, and I think the shingles have a 50 year warranty. But where I live I don't think any roof would last more than about 25 years (wind, hail, and other events hasten their demise). I can't believe parts of your roof lasted 75 years. Kudos to your roofers-one of my husband's cousins did roofing work on the side. The work is extremely dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son-in-law has done roofing and scaffolding from time to time. It's not work I 'd be happy doing! He's actually a plumber by trade, but like all good workmen he can turn his hand to anything.

      Delete
  33. What a project! Your roof is quite complicated, compared to ours. When we had ours done, the crew arrived with the metal at 10am, and byb4pm it was done.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow that roof had several lives. Your new one looks super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We feel much more relaxed about it now.

      Delete
  35. Hi Janice - sounds like you and Barry made a wise decision to get the roof done and selected a very reputable company - good for them, helping out your neighbour. Good news all round - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky. There are some rogues around.

      Delete
  36. Wow, they did a really good job!!! There are SO MANY dodgy roofers around so you were fortunate!

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.