Monday, 10 August 2026

Achillea millefolium

 

Achillea millefolium


Achillea millefolium, more commonly known as yarrow, is a UK native perennial wildflower with umbels of small flowers providing a convenient landing pad for insects. It is a member of the daisy family (Asteraceae) It is a valuable source of nectar for bees, butterflies, moths, beetles and flies, and has a long flowering period, from June to October, and sometimes into November.

Gardeners regard it as a companion plant to their vegetable or flower crops because some of the insects it attracts feed on pests. Ladybirds eat aphids, just as the larvae of hoverflies do. Lacewings eat mites, aphids and whiteflies, while parasitic wasps lay eggs inside garden pests.



The foliage remains green and ferny even in drought. The plant can also withstand wet conditions, but it needs to grow in full sun and will not thrive in shade. It gives shelter and food to the larvae of several moths, notably pug moths, though its natural oils are said to repel mosquitoes. The closely divided leaves are a folk remedy for treating cuts and stopping bleeding.



Yarrow spreads through seeds, and rhizomes will produce new shoots up to 30 cms from the original plant.

It has been cultivated as a garden plant with colours ranging from white and pastel yellow to bright orange and red. It is resistant to rabbit and deer.

54 comments:

  1. I love Yarrow. The flowers are so very beautiful up close, so delicate. I haven't seen the red kind before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the photos of the colors and beauty of yarrow. Now I want to plant some in my gardens. It has been maybe 10 years since I grew yarrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful tansy flower, I've seen it but never knew it was called that... it's special and delicate, seen in bouquets :))
    Wishing you a lovely Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like yarrow in all its colours and have tried to grow some here but the creepy crawlies ate whatever greenery dared show it's head above the soil. I'll keep it in mind though in case I get a chance to move to where there is a better garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, but you have other, pretty flowers not available to us.

      Delete
  5. There is a lot about this beautiful plant that I did not know yet, for instance that rabbits and deer don‘t eat it, or that its leaves can help heal cuts and stop bleeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people struggle to find things that deer in particular won't eat. It's not a problem for me - the deer stay in the woods.

      Delete
  6. I really like yarrow. I have the white yarrow growing but I would love to grow the dark red as I saw it at the Hamilton Gardens & it was stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so pretty and the bees and butterflies love it.

      Delete
  7. My multi coloured Yarrow reverted to white - probably crossing with all the wild plants of the roadsides.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have grown it here but it spreads too much for my small garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that it could become a problem.

      Delete
  9. A fairly unassuming flower; your photos raise it to a higher rank than in actuality it appears, wild, in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Often it's mown down all the time in a lawn. Not a problem here. It's either a nuisance or it's welcomed and allowed to grow tall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. It's not everyone's favourite, but I like it, and so do the insects.

      Delete
  12. I used to have a lot of yarrow in my front flower bed. It got choked out by something that got in ther. Now I can see leaves growing in several places in my yard but it never flowers because it gets mowed

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forgot to log in the anonymous comment was me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, perhaps that's why one of my plants isn't doing as well as the others: it's in more shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be it. Mine are all in full sun and loving it.

      Delete
  15. I like it although I know not everyone does!
    I didn't know its leaves can help heal cuts and stop bleeding.

    Have a good week ... I'm still doing my rain dance ... to no affect LOL!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have yarrow in the wild, but I think it is just white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's only the cultivars that are coloured.

      Delete
  17. Yarroway, yarroway, bear a white blow,
    If my love love me, my nose will bleed now.
    You had to stick a leaf up your nose of course to test the fidelity of your love;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew yarrow could make your nose bleed but never knew why anyone would stuff it up their nose. Now, thanks to you, Thelma, I do - and I've learnt a new rhyme!

      Delete
  18. Very pretty and I'm loving the word "umbrel"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice word, like a short umbrella.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. They're dainty individual flowers gathered into a huge umbrel.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful and the array of colors adds so much to a garden. Since the buds are so small I can only imagine that the seeds are teeny tiny..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are, but it's been a while since I planted any.

      Delete
  21. Yarrow was always appreciated in my garden beds.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like yarrow. And I like the name too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yet more information to store in my overloaded brain! Thank you Janice!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just forget it, like I do, then it surprises you as new when you see it again. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is such a lovely plant. Ohio native is white and I used to pick and put food coloring in the vase to have pink or blue. I used to have yellow in my old garden years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a lovely plant, but, like so many introductions, it is starting to be considered as invasive in portions of the U.S. state of New York, where I live. We also have native yarrow, and hybrids of European and native yarrow.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. The only yarrow I have seen here in the US is the white. I've never seen the other colors. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yarrow is a wonderful plant. I enjoy growing it in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The last picture with that bright color is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahhh...the beautiful devil's nettle. I've always love it...and, as I think I've mentioned somewhere along the way, I used to have quite a bit of it growing in my back bed...purple and pink cultivars though. For some reason, the white is not so easily found at the nurseries...perhaps because it grows wild in the ditches, but so easily confused with Queen Anne's lace (which I also love)...and, unfortunately, poison hemlock (which I do not love).

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.