Monday, 17 August 2026

 

Brambles Cricket Match

Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Each year in August members of two yacht clubs sail into the middle  of the Solent to the sandbank known as the Bramble Bank, or more usually simply ‘the Brambles.’ When the bank emerges from the waves, during low *spring tides, a cricket match takes place.

Of necessity, it is a short match, for the relentless tides turn and the bank returns to its usual status of navigational hazard.

Boats carrying players and spectators from the Island Sailing Club of Cowes and the Royal Southern Yacht Club of Hamble-le-Rice gather and wait for the water levels to fall. As soon as it is viable, everyone scrambles ‘ashore’ onto the puddled sand, the players in their traditional cricket whites. The boundary shrinks at the command of the tide until eventually play becomes impossible, stumps are drawn, and everyone packs up and goes home. The match may last 30 minutes, but on occasions an hour of play has been possible.

The victors are decided beforehand, the two clubs taking it in turns to ‘win.’ The victors then host the post-match meal.

First-class cricketers have taken part on occasion; the fast bowler Stuart Broad played in 2018 and described it as ‘the most unique game of cricket’ he had ever played. Ebony Rainford-Brent took part in 2025, when the ‘pitch’ was so water-logged that she was playing in water up to her knees.

The idea of a Brambles cricket match is believed to have been the idea of the well-known Isle of Wight yacht designer Uffa Fox. However, the modern fixture between the two yacht clubs dates from 1984.


Time to call stumps, I think!
Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Saturday, 15th August was the occasion in 2026 for this match.

*spring tides have nothing to do with the season. The word comes from an Old English word meaning ‘to spring forth’ or ‘swell.’ Spring tides are exceptionally high or low tides governed by the alignment of the earth, moon and sun. They occur twice a month during the new moon and the full moon. The sun’s gravitational pull reinforces the moon’s pull and the two combine to create the greatest swell.

7 comments:

  1. That was certainly very enjoyable to read this. Never heard of this cricket match before. I used to spend many an hour watching my dad play cricket. Then later in life made sandwiches to help my sister when it was her turn to make them. Her husband was on the village cricket team. I would probably have refused to help if I had to go on a boat to deliver them, says I smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very novel event. Our tide in northern Quebec staYED OUT longer than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing this on TV some time ago. English eccentricity at its finest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it terrific how humans find novel ways to play?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so very cool! Incidentally, I have never seen a cricket match, either trying to beat the tide or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like events like this :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting event. What people won’t come up with

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.