Saturday, 22 August 2026

Cyanobacteria

 

Cyanobacteria

Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Anvilcloud pointed out that cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) were crucial in developing Earth’s atmosphere into one which would support human life. I was intrigued by that so investigated. It's straightforward but far from simple.

Cyanobacteria exist anywhere where light and moisture are found, from salty oceans to freshwater lakes, hot deserts and cold soils. In symbiosis with plants and algae they provide nitrogen to their hosts.

Three billion years ago there was little oxygen in the atmosphere. Cyanobacteria in the oceans used energy from the sun to split water molecules and produce oxygen.  During millions of years, the level of oxygen in the atmosphere rose to a point where it could support life. This process is referred to as the Great Oxidation Event and allowed the evolution of animals and eventually human beings.

Cyanobacteria created the ozone layer, a protective barrier against the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays.

Scientists continue to study cyanobacteria.           

2 comments:

  1. You've got some basic information here which I was not aware of. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We humans and animals too, owe our entire lives to a bacterium, yet these days everyone, or almost everyone spends a lot of time and money on sanitising everything in their homes. Talk about overkill. I have read of people who thoroughly wash and dry their dishes THEN run them through a dishwasher cycle to "sterilise" them. And the hand sanitiser companies are getting rich....It was bad enough before covid with people afraid of every little germ but I worry now about children not developing a natural immunity system by never being allowed to just go out and play and get a bit grubby.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.