Sunday, 23 August 2026

Nebbish

 

Nebbish



This word is from Saturday’s Polygon, which asks for 34 words of at least four letters, each of which must include the central letter, in this instance, ‘s.’  I found 19 before I gave up.

 ‘Nebbish’ was unknown to me. Although it sounds like an adjective, it is a noun for an ineffectual, anxious person who lacks confidence and allows himself to be pushed around. It derives from the American Yiddish term ‘nebbish’ or ‘nebekh’ for unfortunate.

A nebbish is not despised but pitied as he stands back, allowing others to take the credit, or to push in front of him in a queue.  He is a figure of fun.

Nebbish entered the English lexicon in the late 19th century as slang for an incompetent lightweight.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.