Of cats’ claws
When resting, a cat’s claws are sheathed in protective skin pouches. If a cat wants to climb or hunt, it flexes leg muscles to unsaddle or extend its claws.Most cats, both domestic and wild, have retractable or sheathable claws. Hind paw claws are not always completely sheathed.
There are four exceptions to the retractability of cats’ claws. The first is the cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus), whose claws do not retract completely, giving it good traction when running.
The second is the endangered fishing cat (Prionailurus viverrinus) which has partially webbed feet and semi-retractable claws, allowing it to maintain its footing in muddy marshland. It is a strong swimmer and has been observed swimming underwater and catching waterfowl by the legs.
The third is the also endangered small Southeast Asian flat-headed cat (Prionailurus planiceps). This cat lives mainly on fish it takes from rivers. It plunges its head into the water and uses its front paws to feel for prey in the shallows.
The last is the rare and critically endangered Iriomote cat (Prionailurus bengalensis iriomotensis) found only on the island of Iriomote, in Japan. It is closely related to the leopard cat.
Cats usually have eighteen claws, four on each hind paw and five, including dew claws, on the front paws. Some breeds, notably Maine Coons and Pixie-bobs, are polydactyl, meaning they have more toes than usual. Their ‘mitten paws’ may have any number from four to seven toes on each paw. Polydactyly usually occurs on the front paws, and it is rare for it to appear on all four limbs.
Sailors prized polydactyl cats, believing them to have superior balance, climbing, and mousing ability. They were thought to bring good luck. In the 1930s a ship’s captain gave Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961) a white cat with six toes. She was called Snow White and Hemingway was enchanted by her, and the litters of kittens she bore. Because of his great affection for polydactyl cats, they are frequently referred to as Hemingway cats.
At the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum in Key West, Florida, there is a colony of about sixty cats, many of whom are descended from Snow White. Hemingway started a tradition of naming the kittens after famous people, like Pablo Picasso, Audrey Hepburn, Clark Gable. The Museum continues the tradition today.
No matter how many claws a cat may have, it will shed the outer sheaths at regular intervals. The claws are made of keratin, like human hair and nails, and develop in layers from the inside out. Cats scratch to remove the outer layer every two to three months. Our stair carpet bears witness to this activity, and ‘ghost’ claws can be seen frequently.


Cool history of cats. I didn't know they shed some of the sheath arouind the claws. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteSometimes cats nibble at their claws, and I think that's to clear the sheaths.
DeleteIn yesterday's photos, both cats' claws seem very prominent. Is that because of their age?
ReplyDeletePS. Kosov just found one of Jass' 'claws'. I sent him a link to your post. He will find water cats and webbed feet cats interesting.
DeleteIt's mainly the back claws that look prominent on our cats, mainly because the back claws aren't fully sheathed and also probably partly due to age.
DeleteInteresting info on the retractability...and the exceptions. I've always had a fondness for polydactyl cats. My niece has several...and I actually got to make the acquaintance of several of Snow White's progeny in Key West.
ReplyDeleteI would love to see the Hemingway cats.What a lovely experience. I've never seen a polydactyl cat, but I know they are often specifically bred. It only needs one parent with the gene for the kittens to be polydactyl potentially. You clearly share your niece's predilection for these mitten paw cats. ๐⬛๐
DeleteI remember finding cat claw sheaths in the back porch and on the scratching tower with an occasional one somewhere in my bedding. I didn't know about the "fishing" cats.
ReplyDeleteConsidering how often they shed the sheaths it's surprising we don't see them more often.
DeleteRiver cats! Underwater swimming cats! I tend to forget there are so many kinds of wild cats out there. Thank you
ReplyDelete๐๐⬛
DeleteThank you for such a lot of information about cats claws, I had no idea about any of those swimming cats and it's sad they are so endangered.
ReplyDeleteIt's the usual story of humans affecting natural habitats, unfortunately.
DeleteLilly loves one corner of our rug to claw, I often find the discarded husk of her claws, a very interesting post.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't take much work from sharp claws to alter the look of fabrics!
ReplyDeletethe only part of this I knew is that cats have retractable claws, the rest is all new news....
ReplyDelete๐
DeleteGhost claws - Mr T left them at the base of his elevated viewing platform - where the sisal scratching do-dacky was. As he got older they would sometimes shed when I clipped the needle points off his claws (done when the claws started rattling on the tiles when he wandered about)
ReplyDeleteI haven't clipped our current cats' claws at all. I used to regularly clip the others. I rather like the clickety-clack of cats' claws.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI know people whose furniture has been destroyed by cats scratching on it. They bought scratching posts but the cats still use whatever they feel like.
ReplyDeleteOur furniture bears witness to a lifetime of cats, dogs and toddlers, all of whom have inflicted various marks on it, from teeth to claws.
DeleteThat's rather interesting about their claws. I learned a few new things here today
ReplyDeleteWe just notice, rather painfully sometimes, the sharpness of their needle-like claws!
DeleteI should have mentioned that Ernest Hemingway was born in 1899 not 1866 as shown, I have visited his place in Key West, Florida and seen the descendants of his cats.
ReplyDeleteThank you, David. I have amended the date.
DeleteSome of these facts I have heard before. But they don't necessarily stick in my mind so I enjoy reading it again. Here I know the claws need to be clipped when I find the sleeping blanket all in a big knot or somebody got tangled up in it overnight. An outcome the Clippers, lol.
ReplyDeleteThe most painful thing is when claws get tangled in human skin . . . ๐ฉ๐⬛๐
DeleteI used to find the occasional claw around.
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised we don't find more. I suppose some are shed outside.
DeleteI've never even heard of some of those Prionailurus cats! Fascinating. I had cats for years so I remember the scratching, though back in the day we simply had them declawed. It wasn't as frowned upon then as it is now, and they were exclusively indoor cats so there was no danger to the animal. I'm not sure I'd do it now but it sure saved the furniture.
ReplyDeleteDeclawing is illegal in UK, and I'm not sure most vets would have agreed to do it, anyway. Our cats have always been indoor cats, though we have safely enclosed the garden so that they can wander in and out.
DeleteI used to clip my cats claw tips to help them shed the outer layer. One of them had claws that would crisscross if I didn't help. This whole post is a great explainer against the mutilation of declawing. Unfortunately it's not well understood here and people still do it, as if the furniture were more important. I think if you value it more, maybe don't keep a cat.
ReplyDeleteOne look in my house would tell you how we live . . .
DeleteWe just gave Rosita her latest nail trimming. That girl has some claws on her!!
ReplyDeleteThey seem to get tougher as they get older, rather like human nails!
DeleteOnce again - you taught me things I did not know Janice. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Neil.
ReplyDeleteBeing a retired Vet Tech, declawing is a cruel thing to do with cats.
ReplyDeleteI agree. It's so cruel.
ReplyDeleteInteresting.
ReplyDeleteWe've had a lifetime of animals and still never stop learning about them.
ReplyDeleteI knew about 1% of this! Only thing I knew about was Hemingway's, cats, but didn’t know they all descended from one Mama cat. Very interesting post!
ReplyDeleteThe cats at The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum lead charmed lives, by all accounts.
DeleteSomehow I can't imagine Hemingway and cats!
ReplyDeleteStranger things have happened.
DeleteFascinating! Years ago I visited Hemingway's house and was amazed at all the cats there were there. I didn't know the story about Snow White. Great story!
ReplyDeleteNot the place to visit if you're allergic to cats!
DeleteA cat with webbed feet.. so cool. Nature is really marvelous. Thanks for sharing these facts.
ReplyDeleteI knew some cat breeds can swim, like the Turkish Van, but not that some could swim underwater.
DeleteInteresting facts about my most beloved companions, many of which I had not known before. They are truly amazing animals and Hemingway definitely showed better taste in choosing them than in some other aspects of his life.
ReplyDeleteMaybe that was his saving grace!
DeleteMy knowledge of cats is miniscule!
ReplyDeleteI now know a little more . . . thank you :)
All the best Jan
Cats are fascinating.
DeleteI didn't know any of this, including how Hemingway's cats came to be. I hope to visit his home some day.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
A visit to Hemingway's house would be amazing.
ReplyDelete