Sunday, 12 July 2026

Sleeping cats on a hot afternoon

 

Sleeping cats on a hot afternoon

Herschel snores very loudly

Leonardo da Vinci said, ‘The smallest feline is a masterpiece,’ while Oscar Wilde wrote ‘Cats are put on earth to remind us that not everything has a purpose.’ 




There was a young lady of Niger

Who smiled as she rode on a tiger;

They returned from the ride

With the lady inside,

And the smile on the face of the tiger.

                                        William Cosmo Monkhouse (1840-1901) 

Our cats are limp with heat, stretching full length on cool surfaces, dreaming and twitching in their sleep.


A butterfly fluttered into the sitting room on Saturday morning. It flew aimlessly round the room, failing to find the patio door by which it had entered. Eventually, it flew too close to the floor, where Jellicoe was sitting. He promptly captured it. There was nothing left to identify, so it can only be assumed that it made a small snack for an alert cat.

65 comments:

  1. Beautiful cats. I think cats are on alert even when they sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something relaxing for humans to see a relaxing cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats just abandon themselves completely. Humans, once grown, rarely do.

      Delete
  3. I do love seeing perfectly relaxed sleeping cats, it's calming somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All seems well with the world when the cat sleeps soundly.

      Delete
  4. Sleepy cats make for sleepy crows. I do love them so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our two cats live in our air-conditioned house and are, I think, completely unaware that the temperature is in the 90 degrees Fahrenheit outside, although actually they would probably enjoy it if they could experience it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours stay indoors when it's hot and enjoy going out in the cooler evening air.

      Delete
  6. Lovely kitty. Just wondering if their toe beans are swollen on a couple of those pads on the front paw. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a look and I think they're fine. Thank you, anyway.

      Delete
  7. Hershel is so beautiful Janice - I always look at their paws too & could take many photos of them. I hope you get some cooler temps soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are such delicate, elegant creatures, but quick and accurate hunters.

      Delete
  8. Herschel must be very soundly asleep to not be aware of you taking photos. The limerick is cute, although not for the lady from Niger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They seem to have found a way to cope with the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feline wit and instinct are beautifully woven together in this charming post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilaire Belloc's 'The Lion and Jim' comes to mind, a childhood memory. I am really a dog person, but always had cats around but never as elegant as your two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Stanley Holloway reciting that. Actually, I like all his monologues.

      Delete
  12. They look so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to click my name. it's Addy

      Delete
    2. It must be nice to be able to relax completely bonelessly like a cat.

      Delete
  13. It is funny how even a very small insect can wake up at sound sleeping cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're always aware even when they're sleeping.

      Delete



  14. Rosie has her basket with a round (fake) fur in it. She sleeps in it despite
    25° only when it becomes more then she changes to a camping bed and suddenly measures 2m ! Normally she is a very small cat. Also now during her 19 1/2 years she sleeps so deeply and then suddenly makes little meauws and the continues to sleep ! Most of the residents have never traveled and don't know how to use an A/C. When it's turned on they open the windows ! I think I have to teach them how it works, lol !


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a couple of cooling mats for the dogs. The cats use them!
      I suppose it's instinctive to open the doors and windows when you're not used to air conditioning.

      Delete
  15. Cute photos! Your poem is funny but rather grim too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit grim, I suppose. Black humour!

      Delete
  16. Love the pictures of the paws. Too bad about the butterfly but such is the circle of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterflies don't live very long anyway, so it seemed rather hard . . .

      Delete
  17. I love the faces of sleeping cats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photographs.
    Have a happy Sunday.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I hope your day is a good one.

      Delete
  19. cats know not to get too tired when it's so hot, they should rest and wait for more pleasant weather for various activities.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The best way to relax is to watch a sleeping cat. Particularly if it's on top of yoiu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and of course, it's very bad manners to move a cat that's sleeping on you.

      Delete
  21. The Tiger poem has always made me grin (grimly, but still...). Seems to me Jellicoe must have heard it and applied it to a butterfly. Lesson learned: keep your distance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor butterfly didn't really stand a chance!

      Delete
  22. I've noticed that cats curl up to sleep in the cold weather but stretch out when it's hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever creatures, cats. πŸ˜„πŸˆ‍⬛🐈

      Delete
  23. Cats are perfect. Unfortunately they are also perfect killers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Perfect killing machines. 🀨🐈🐈‍⬛

      Delete
  24. All the cats I've owned still own a piece of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remember all the cats of my life, too, and there have been very many, all special.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cats may inspire me to take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A restorative cat nap is always a good idea.

      Delete
  27. Herschel has Purrfect paws... ugh, on swallowing a moth.. Jellico has quick paws for sure

    ReplyDelete
  28. Adorable! Right now I feel as they do but my tasty snack was broccoli, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Broccoli is healthy, but chocolate is sooo nice. It melts too quickly, though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Janice - it's been unbearably hot, even down here ... animals really suffer in this weather - yours look totally at ease ... my tasty snacks are still my cold soups ... I'm off to see your roof ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  31. We always think it will be cooler on the coast, but I don't think that has applied this year.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely photos of Herschel and Jellicoe. I'm feeling a little limp with the heat too, so a cat nap sounds just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the right pick-me-up so long as it's not too deep a sleep!

      Delete



Thank you for visiting. I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to respond to posts.

I will always try to repay your visit whenever possible.