Kay from ‘An Unfittie’s Guide to Travel’ met the tagging challenge and posed these questions in her turn. I said I’d answer them – and that was before I’d looked at them!
1: If you had to eat the same thing every day, what would you choose for each meal?
For breakfast I would have porridge with fresh fruit, yoghourt and two teaspoons of a mixture of seeds (pumpkin, sesame, linseed, sunflower etc.)
Lunch would be tomatoes on toast.
For supper I would have salad with new potatoes and chicken or fish.
2. Would you accept an invitation to dinner with the Queen of England, or the Queen of The Netherlands, or both, or neither?
Both – though it’s never likely to happen.
3. Why? (see 2, above)
I’d like to see the differences between them and the similarities. The Queen of England has a vast knowledge and experience of life across the globe.
4. Would you rather own a horse, a dog, a cat, a squirrel, or a skateboard?
I’ve learnt to ride two or three times but never made much progress. My middle daughter once brought a sick squirrel home for me to care for – what faith she had! It died. I was never much good on roller skates and can’t see a skateboard would be any better. If I were housebound I’d opt for a cat since cats don’t need to be taken for walks. Otherwise I’d have a dog (and a cat)
5. How many years in a row did you have speeding tickets? How many years in a row did you have no speeding tickets at all?
I’ve never received a speeding ticket which is pretty amazing as I drive fast.
6. Have you ever had jet-lag? After how long a trip?
I had jet-lag after flying back from Palm Springs. Unfortunately, I was still teaching at the time and found it very difficult to keep my eyes open at school for a couple of days.
7. Can you read music?
Yes. I enjoy following orchestral scores though I haven’t done that for some time. When I see a fragment of music – on a greetings card or in a novel – I have to sing it.
8. Can you sing (i.e. carry a tune so as to entertain your hearers)? Or whistle?
I can sing and often do so. Whether it would entertain anyone is open to debate. My whistling is very basic – I can’t imitate birds or whistle elaborate tunes.
9. Can you play piano or guitar?
I play the piano and can play a few chords on a guitar. When I say I play the piano it’s more that I play at the piano. I can’t play much without a sheet of music and my touch is not light. However, I can murder Beethoven and Bach with the worst of them.
10. Can you play bagpipes?
No. A friend of my husband’s had bagpipes and was required to play every morning outside the housemaster’s window. He got so fed up that he stabbed the bag and that was the end of his recitals.
11. Can you hum the melody of Scots Wha Hae Wi' Wallace Bled: or Bruce's Address to his Troops at Banockburn? Or how about Mull of Kintyre by Paul McCartney?
No, no and possibly.